Beer Club

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Guisslapp
    Guisslapp
    Arrogant Bastard Ale is one of Stone Brewing Co's beers. It is 7.2abv, so that is pretty stiff for most people but not really considered "high gravity." It is a pretty tasty brew - look for it in the section with the 750 mL bottles.
  2. dhussdawg
    dhussdawg
    Just grabbed some Guiss, found it at the Spec's near downtown in Houston. I would suggest going here if looking for any alcohol known to man. The largest alcohol store I have ever seen. Will report back. I had heard it was stiffer, I am a little disappointed that it is only 7.2.
  3. dhussdawg
    dhussdawg
    It is pretty good, tastes a lot like St Arnold's Brown Ale. Has a lot of taste, you are correct. What are some good "high gravity" brews? I will look next time I hit up that particular Spec's.
  4. Guisslapp
    Guisslapp
    When you go high gravity, you need something to balance the malts - otherwise it will just be too sweet. As you know, more alcohol requires more sugar to ferment. Double IPAs, Russian Imperial Stouts, and Belgian Tripels are my preferred styles for high gravity. Double IPAs typically have sufficiently high IBUs to balance the sweet malts. Russian Imperial Stouts do it by balancing with hops, roastiness, and smooth mouthfeel. Belgian Tripels have unique spices and distinct Belgian yeasts. It really depends on what floats your boat. Most of what I have reviewed lately here fit into these three styles.
  5. Guisslapp
    Guisslapp
    Allagash White - Witbier 5% abv. Belgian yeasts, citrus zests, coriander and clove. Very tasty. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/59/
  6. Guisslapp
    Guisslapp
    Magic Hat #9, Apricot beer, 4.6% abv - not bad, but not nearly as good as Dogfish Head Aprihop.

Magic Hat Roxy Rolles, winter beer/amber ale, 5.1% abv - good, but bizarre style. It is amber, cloudy, malty, and hoppy.
  7. dhussdawg
    dhussdawg
    Was out in Colorado, tried Cutthroat Porter (4.8%) good and malty and Farmer's Friend (ABV unknown) was okay but was not very tasty for a dark beer. Both are Colorado brewed beers.
  8. Guisslapp
    Guisslapp
    Sierra Nevada Torpeda, "Extra" IPA, 7.2% abv. Pretty decent double IPA. Need to do a side-by-side with a DH 90 minute IPA, because I think the two are dopplegangers.
  9. Guisslapp
    Guisslapp
    Terrapin Monk's Revenge (from their "Side Project" series, Volume 5) - "Belgian Double IPA" style - not sure about the abv, but would guess it is around 8%abv. So this is part Belgian Tripel and part Double IPA. The Double IPA aspect is fairly subdued and the Belgian yeast and spices are more distinct, so I think this is more of an Americanized Tripel. Since Belgian Tripels and Double IPAs are two of my favorite styles, I had to give this one a try and it did not disappoint.
  10. Guisslapp
    Guisslapp
    Picked up alot of new stuff for my beer fridge this weekend. I even found one (and only one) of Dogfish Head's World Wide Stouts. It is their high gravity stout (18% abv). http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/2392 Also picked up several for their Raison D'Extras (20% abv) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/3089 .

Also picked up several European varieties including Hacker-Pschorr Muncher Gold (thanks to DrE for introducing me to this brewery), and some random Belgian Tripels.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast