+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok, since the music has been such good discussion

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: Ok, since the music has been such good discussion

Leo Honeycutt's Edward Edwards: Governor of Louisiana

Malcolm Gladwell's What the Dog Saw
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i tried reading the sun also rises and i got about 3 chapters further along than i did the first time i tried reading it before i decided watching the grass grow in winter was more interesting. i like hemingway's style, but that story is just too boring and rambling to hold my interest.
    Dude! That's his best book (I almost said best work but I really like some of his short stories, notably "Big Two-Hearted River"). I honestly think The Sun Also Rises is one of my favorite books.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Before that was Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers. I like his stuff, but its starting to get a tad formulaic. (Felt like Tipping Point, part 3.)

Kind of makes you want to enroll your kid in school/sports late though, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Lately I'm on the bi-polar theolgy track. Donald Miller then Tim Keller then Brian McLaren. Can't remember what's next. Maybe Dinesh DiSuza.
    You're not kidding. Kind of going back and forth there, huh?

Stuff I've read recently (that I can remember):

Finished Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle this week.

Finished Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes last weekend.

Been working on Borges's Collected Short Works (I'm about halfway).

Recently read and enjoyed The Magicians which is kind of a "grown-up" Harry Potter (like if Harry learned magic at college instead of high school and drank and did drugs and hooked up with girls and got depressed and the learning magic stuff was really difficult and lots of work). Pretty engrossing.

I've got some Graham Greene coming up next. I've started on the introduction. I have high hopes, but Greene's been a little hit or miss for me in the past.

Hasn't been too long since I read Eric Newby's A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush.

I'm sure there are others I've enjoyed recently, but I'll stop here. We'll just say they know my face at the local library. I kind of enjoy reading.
    Last edited by inudesu; 01-27-2011 at 12:53 PM.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    You're not kidding. Kind of going back and forth there, huh?
    I was instructed to pick things I would agree with and things I wouldn't agree with for part of my internship. I think I've done that...can get tedious though.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I was instructed to pick things I would agree with and things I wouldn't agree with for part of my internship. I think I've done that...can get tedious though.
    My systematic professor was big on that. It's good for you, but yeah, it can be a beat down.

At least it's "popular" stuff (seems like) and not academic. Probably easier to go back and forth with those guys than Van Til and Grudem and guys writing on that level (although Grudem is easy to read I think).

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

presently: "Run Away Jury" by Grisham(sp)

favorite: anything by L'Amour
    Last edited by BRDawg81; 03-16-2010 at 07:43 AM.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

Currently:The Prize

Champ Dawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her game Dawg04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Leo Honeycutt's Edward Edwards: Governor of Louisiana

Malcolm Gladwell's What the Dog Saw
    Really enjoyed What the Dog Saw. Would highly recommend it.

Picked up another of Gladwell's books and put it in the queue. Working my way through the unabridged version of The Stand right now. That's a long book.

Just finished To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. I'll describe it in two words, "Bor" and "ing."

Also just finished The Russia House by John Le Carre. Not too bad. Didn't knock my socks off, but it got better towards the end. I haven't read much Le Carre, and what I've read has had great flashes but I'm still waiting to read something from him that lives up to his reputation (I haven't read his best known stuff yet). I'd be interested in seeing the Sean Connery movie of this, but the Fort Worth library only has it on VHS.

Not too long ago I read Me, Myself and Bob by the Veggietales creator. Really interesting. I had no idea that they (well, the original company behind Veggietales - Big Idea) had ever gone bankrupt.

Also read the Prydain Chronicles this Fall/Winter. I saw an article not too long ago about the failure of Disney's The Black Cauldron (prompted by an anniversary, I think) and remember seeing the movie as a kid. I knew it was based on a series that won a lot of awards (the last book won the Newbury I think) and I've kind of wondered why I didn't catch it as a kid. So I went back and read them all. I enjoyed them. And I agreed with the author of that original article that Disney is dropping the ball by not re-booting that series and turning it into a live action 5 part Harry Potter/Narnia franchise.

Working on At Home and a biography of Ulrich Zwingli now. Also a history of the Byzantine Empire and a book about praying for your kids. And several more in the queue.
    Last edited by inudesu; 01-26-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Just finished To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. I'll describe it in two words, "Bor" and "ing."
    The lighthouse is a metaphor for weiner, ya know.

The lighthouse is a metaphor for weiner, ya know.

What isn't?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

What isn't?
    boobs

pomegranates

Dame Judi Dench

ulm

boobs

pomegranates

Dame Judi Dench

ulm
    Fair enough.

I've also been reading quite a bit of I Am a Bunny and Goodnight Moon and various Elmo books.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Fair enough.

I've also been reading quite a bit of I Am a Bunny and Goodnight Moon and various Elmo books.
    My wife is a part of the give a book Ponzi Scheme (where you give one book to somebody, then get 36 in return) and we have gotten like 5 Goodnight Moons so far.

Fair enough.

Big Red Barn >>>>>>> Good Night Moon

+ Reply to Thread