+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Guys, what you workin on?

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Car Guys, what you workin on?

Since last spring, my son and I have been working on this 77 Ford F150 4x4. A good friend of mine gave the truck to William and we plan on him driving it when he gets his license in June 2013. I think I will have it road worthy sometime this summer.

Story on the truck: My buddy Dave bought it new in 1977 put 12k miles on it and blew the engine, rebuilt it, used it mainly to drive back and forth from WM to his camp in Tensas. Improved access to the camp meant he no longer needed a 4x4 so the truck basically sat for several years until he gave it to William. I get the truck planning to just reseal everything and run it but after I got it running found it had a knock so we completely rebuilt the engine again. I wish this ole truck could talk; Dave was single until his mid 40's and I think there were many "hold my beer" or "hang on" moments

Details of the build (so far)are: The 351M has been bored 60 over, the 351 crank replaced with a 400, Lunati camshaft, Edelbrock intake and Edelbrock aluminum Cleveland heads. This engine was built for a truck not a race car it should make around 300 hp and 400-450 lb/ft torque. Keeping everything else as it came from the factory; 4 speed trans, 4.10 rear gear. I did buy a new BDS 4" suspension lift for it since one of the front coil springs was broken.

This pic was the day we picked up the truck.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by rabiddawg; 01-22-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Car Guys, what you workin on?

Second pic, after wire wheeling the frame we sprayed one coat of epoxy primer and one coat of single stage black.

Third pic shows how it looked the morning I rolled it back under the cab.

Fourth is the dash pad after I stretched felt over it, applied fiberglass resin, sanded smooth and painted.

Fith is basically where it is now.

Yesterday we primed the back sides of the front fenders and hood. Today we will prime the top sides before putting them on next week.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

That is some great stuff, Kev! I'm sure William is very proud of his truck.

Do you hire out my man? I sure could stand to have my ride pimped out a little.

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Do you hire out my man? I sure could stand to have my ride pimped out a little.
    Sure do. I just rented a small shop in Abbeville; Fran can have her garage back.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Very impressive. I'm about to start restoring my old ski boat with my son. I'll be asking for pointers on the gelcoat and fiberglass work.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Second pic, after wire wheeling the frame we sprayed one coat of epoxy primer and one coat of single stage black.

Third pic shows how it looked the morning I rolled it back under the cab.

Fourth is the dash pad after I stretched felt over it, applied fiberglass resin, sanded smooth and painted.

Fith is basically where it is now.

Yesterday we primed the back sides of the front fenders and hood. Today we will prime the top sides before putting them on next week.
    What kind of paint job you planning on doing? That's a great project, I hope to do something like that with one of my son's someday.

Paint will be basecoat/clearcoat. Ford code UI silver from the lower trim up and Nissan B17 from the lower trim down. The blue is whats on the dash cap pictured.
    What kind of boat you restoring MD?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Paint will be basecoat/clearcoat. Ford code UI silver from the lower trim up and Nissan B17 from the lower trim down. The blue is whats on the dash cap pictured.
    What kind of boat you restoring MD?
    1978 Hydrasport Playmate w/115 Evinrude.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

IMG_0559.JPG

Very slowly working on a '59 Willys FC-150.

I was looking for a CJ2A or 3A, and came across this on Craigslist a few years ago. The ad didn't have a picture, and I had never heard of a Jeep FC. It's all original, except for the cage that's been removed now. I had it running a while ago, but moving, and work, and flight lessons have gotten in the way. I've debated between sticking with the original drivetrain or going with a 350. I lean more towards original.

In case you've never heard of them either, here's a great website: http://www.thefcconnection.com/

I had never heard or seen one, but I'm not surprised at how many different vehicles Jeep (Willys) made. I assume this was built in 50s?

I had never heard or seen one, but I'm not surprised at how many different vehicles Jeep (Willys) made.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, it was made in 1959. I believe they were produce from 57-64. It's got a PTO winch in the front, and another PTO in the rear. Most of the mechanical parts are compatible with other jeeps, but body parts are extremely hard to find.

Thats really cool splicer. I like stuff that is different.

So we have 3 car guys and one boat guy. I guess if it doesnt have a computer the engineers arent interested

I'm a boat guy too. Since this picture I've added a Big Air H2O tower, and Blue Sea dual battery system. This is a sad picture really, no boat should look like that. It's a '08 Tahoe Q6 with the carbed 5.0L.

IMG_1568.JPG

+ Reply to Thread