+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

  1. #31
    Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,704

    Re: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

    I went to Byrd from Southwood's district. Magnet all the way!

    I think other people hate Byrd because they have created a culture, and people want to be a part of this culture.

  2. #32
    Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    1,720

    Re: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    Good at what? They had one good year in football and are average at best in everything else. Everyone from Byrd thinks everybody is jealous of them, when in all actuality there is nothing in which to be jealous.

    You are missing the point here. Byrd went Magnet for survival. 25 years ago, the odds of being shot to death or stabbed in the parking lot just for looking at somebody the wrong way were very real. The neighborhood & feeder schools were & many still are below par and on the verge of being condemmed. There has since been a slight reviatlization of the Highland neighborhood but the ability to go Magnet & the hard work of many alumni & school staff is the only reason that the school is still viable. And when I say viable, it is the number two high school in all of the city (educationally) and the number one high school if you want to play football and get an education. I don't know if it is merely Shreve that is behind this farce but the LHSAA seems to always side with the moaners & complainers of the (especially 5-A) programs that just cannot win on their own. I would suspect that West Monroe & Airline may also be behind some of this. Such a shame.

  3. #33
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    44,840

    Re: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs1 View Post
    I would suspect that West Monroe & Airline may also be behind some of this. Such a shame.
    Stupid of you to think WM would be behind this.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  4. #34
    Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Monroe
    Posts
    1,048

    Re: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Stupid of you to think WM would be behind this.
    I agree.

  5. #35
    Administrator & 2006 Men's Progressive Bracket Champion Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Posts
    35,766

    Re: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

    WM is the GWB of LA public highschools - everything is their fault....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

  6. #36
    Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Monroe
    Posts
    1,048

    Re: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    WM is the GWB of LA public highschools - everything is their fault....
    Haters want to hate!

  7. #37
    Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    1,853

    Re: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs1 View Post
    You are missing the point here. Byrd went Magnet for survival. 25 years ago, the odds of being shot to death or stabbed in the parking lot just for looking at somebody the wrong way were very real. The neighborhood & feeder schools were & many still are below par and on the verge of being condemmed. There has since been a slight reviatlization of the Highland neighborhood but the ability to go Magnet & the hard work of many alumni & school staff is the only reason that the school is still viable. And when I say viable, it is the number two high school in all of the city (educationally) and the number one high school if you want to play football and get an education. I don't know if it is merely Shreve that is behind this farce but the LHSAA seems to always side with the moaners & complainers of the (especially 5-A) programs that just cannot win on their own. I would suspect that West Monroe & Airline may also be behind some of this. Such a shame.
    The magnet schools, like Byrd, are what has ruined the caddo parish school system. Byrd, while making itself viable, has been the main reason the neighborhood and feeder schools are below par. My son goes to Eden Garden Magnet so I realize I am a hypocrite, but if you want your child to go to public school in shreveport it almost has to be a magnet school.

  8. #38
    Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    The magnet schools, like Byrd, are what has ruined the caddo parish school system. Byrd, while making itself viable, has been the main reason the neighborhood and feeder schools are below par. My son goes to Eden Garden Magnet so I realize I am a hypocrite, but if you want your child to go to public school in shreveport it almost has to be a magnet school.
    Without the magnet program, you wouldn't have ANY public school options in Shreveport. The Shreveport public school system would resemble that of Baton Rouge, where no one sends there kid to public school by choice.

  9. #39
    Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Mckinney Tx
    Posts
    3,613

    Re: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

    What has ruined the school system is there is no money to fund them, magnet or not. Take away the magnet attendance rule and put the best students back in their zoned school. You still have crappy facilities, little to no technology, and struggle to get quality teachers because of pay and resources. You would not improve the school to any significant point.

    I teach. I have two degrees from Tech the same is true for my wife. We left straight after grad school, because starting pay in DFW for a brand new teacher was almost twice what her mother was making as a teacher with a masters +30 down in Lake Charles.

    The system Texas uses to fund its schools by no means is perfect. However, if you are in an area that is supportive of education (financially) like where we are the schools are as good as any in the country.

    The corruption and the overall fiscal health of the state has created a horrible cycle that none of the politicians have the balls to truly fix. There needs to consolidation on the higher ed level.

    There needs to be a restructuring of education funding at the state constitution level for k-12, and even at that point all you would have done is stop the foundation from collapsing. Then the real hard work of funding, construction, and evaluation of quality teachers would be the next step.
    2008 Young Alumnus of the Year
    2011 ALA National Law Related Education Teacher of the Year......
    2012 TLA Law Related Education Teacher of the Year

  10. #40
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    28,057

    Re: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    I teach. I have two degrees from Tech the same is true for my wife. We left straight after grad school, because starting pay in DFW for a brand new teacher was almost twice what her mother was making as a teacher with a masters +30 down in Lake Charles.

    The system Texas uses to fund its schools by no means is perfect. However, if you are in an area that is supportive of education (financially) like where we are the schools are as good as any in the country.
    First, I thank you and your family for being committed to teaching. We need more folks like you, your wife and your mom.

    Secondly, I agree with your comment about some of the schools in Texas being as good as any in the country. However, since the mid 1980's the "Robin Hood" school financing plan in Texas has forced all of the wealthier schools to have to contribute most of their revenue to the states poorer schools.

    The Robin Hood plan has angered a lot of people who pay the expensive property tax bills in the wealthier school districts, only to have to watch those same tax dollars go to other, poorer school districts. It's also why you now see super nice school buildings and facilities in little redneck towns like Pottsboro, and Princeton, etc..... For the last 15 years, all those little small towns in Texas have been flush with tax dollars funded from the wealthier school districts. Now you have little towns with a local population of only 2,000 or so, yet they boast school buildings and athletic facilities that rival those anywhere in the state/country. That's absurd, and a real waste.




    HD

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts