+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: LHSAA Anti-Byrd Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    This is driven in North LA by Shreve and Airline and to some extent Haughton (just reclassed as 5A), Benton (fastest growing public school in the state projected to be 5A in 4 years) and Minden (if there is more consolidation will be knocking on the door)....
    Wow. I can't believe all those other schools are stooping to Shreve's level. That's pathetic. I would have expected West Monroe to be on board before all those other schools.

Is this supposed to pass?
    Last edited by Dawg06; 01-26-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Wow. I can't believe all those other schools are stooping to Shreve's level. That's pathetic. I would have expected West Monroe to be on board before all those other schools.

Is this supposed to pass?
    They see it as a very unfair disadvantage...

But I've always hated Haughton, Byrd, Shreve, Haughton and Haughton -

It may, it appears to have some legs
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    They see it as a very unfair disadvantage...
    Every public high school in Shreveport has a magnet program. Every Shreveport high school has the same advantage. Byrd is no exception. Moreover, Byrd's magnet program has the highest admissions standards of all the Shreveport magnet schools. That would actually put Byrd at a disadvantage to all the other magnet programs.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 01-26-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    No, they haven't. I went to one this year and the attendance was good but it didn't fill up one side of Lee Hedges and to say this is the anti-Byrd Amendment if laughable. This Amendment was written by a principal in south La who couldn't care less about Byrd. It is a problem in South La and Byrd is just the only one in n la.
    Now you're just showing your bias. Every game Byrd played at Hedges and most other stadiums with the exception of Independence Stadium, they always were standing room only. At the game in Carencro, several hundred people had to stand because there were no seats available including temporary bleachers brought in. You lost much credibility with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Now you're just showing your bias. Every game Byrd played at Hedges and most other stadiums with the exception of Independence Stadium, they always were standing room only. At the game in Carencro, several hundred people had to stand because there were no seats available including temporary bleachers brought in. You lost much credibility with that statement.
    At the Rummel game at Lee Hedges Stadium, the Byrd side was SRO, and there were a lot of Byrd fans on the Rummel side of the stadium.

The News-Star's take: http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2...-key-proposals

"C.E. Byrd principal Jerry Badgley told The Shreveport Times this past week that his school would be only non-private school in the state to be labeled "select" under Ramsey's amendment."

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

We may not like the way this is being done but I still say something needs to change. I started a thread during the high school playoffs about how I feel that there needs to be something done because the private schools have an unfair advantage and yes Byrd due to it's magnet school status has an unfair advantage as well because they can take players from other areas and they do.

As a side note: I picked up my son from Benton's 7-8 grade games last night and the first words out of his mouth were "our basketball team sucks this year" "We killed everyone last year" I asked him how that was possible. He said that all the good players left and were now at Evangel and Calvary. This is how it goes for all the schools in the Shreveport Bossier area and I'm sure to an extent all over the state.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    We may not like the way this is being done but I still say something needs to change. I started a thread during the high school playoffs about how I feel that there needs to be something done because the private schools have an unfair advantage and yes Byrd due to it's magnet school status has an unfair advantage as well because they can take players from other areas and they do.

As a side note: I picked up my son from Benton's 7-8 grade games last night and the first words out of his mouth were "our basketball team sucks this year" "We killed everyone last year" I asked him how that was possible. He said that all the good players left and were now at Evangel and Calvary. This is how it goes for all the schools in the Shreveport Bossier area and I'm sure to an extent all over the state.
    The transfer thing, like the hold back thing, sometimes gets blown out of proportion. A new rule went into place for the 2011-12 year allowing an athlete to attend any school they choose to attend beginning their freshman year. The athlete can remain at that school until graduation or be allowed to transfer back to the school they are zoned for. If an athlete in grades 10-12 transfers without changing residence (they do check) they must sit out one year before playing even if they go to a private school. I'm not certain, but I think they changed the rule in 2011-2012 to allow grades 6-8 to transfer w/out sitting out one year. This may be what happened to Benton, but would not have been allowed last year.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Funny, I was at the Haughton game and it was far from SRO. There was excellent support from the student body and a really good crowd, but there were plenty of seats left. Now let's look back at years past and even look forward to next year and see it they get the same level of support when they are just a pretty good team.

DFW's explination of why this is happening makes more sense to me. I just wasn't on board with Dawg06's explination that this was solely driven by shreve.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    Funny, I was at the Haughton game and it was far from SRO. There was excellent support from the student body and a really good crowd, but there were plenty of seats left. Now let's look back at years past and even look forward to next year and see it they get the same level of support when they are just a pretty good team.

DFW's explination of why this is happening makes more sense to me. I just wasn't on board with Dawg06's explination that this was solely driven by shreve.
    Maybe not SRO because the far edges weren't full, but I guarantee you it was closer to SRO than the picture you paint. As far as years past and years future, I couldn't care less. I'm not mired in the provincial mindset that's so prevalent to people from North Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post

How does Byrd have an unfair advantage over all the other Shreveport schools? They all have magnet programs. Shreve even has 2 magnet programs. Byrd's magnet program has the highest admissions standards in the parish, and they have to maintain a 2.76 GPA or they kicked out. Theoretically, that puts Byrd at a disadvantage to all the other schools in Shreveport.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Tabled for a year, but they did make a little noise.

http://www.sportsnola.com/index.php?...83&Itemid=4333

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Maybe not SRO because the far edges weren't full, but I guarantee you it was closer to SRO than the picture you paint. As far as years past and years future, I couldn't care less. I'm not mired in the provincial mindset that's so prevalent to people from North Louisiana.
    That's a cop out. You can't just look at one year when talking about how great their support is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg;1195381[B
    ]Maybe not SRO[/B] because the far edges weren't full, but I guarantee you it was closer to SRO than the picture you paint. As far as years past and years future, I couldn't care less. I'm not mired in the provincial mindset that's so prevalent to people from North Louisiana.
    So the picture you painted of SRO crowds was and exaggeration too? I guess we both exaggerated a little to try and help prove our points.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    The major issue is the public vs. private debate. Byrd was probably just thrown in there to get the support of the North Louisiana principals. Airline loves the amendment.
    This is what happens when you let the LHSAA --and a certain faction of jealous bureaucrats-- manipulate the system, and force the little private schools like Evangel & John Curtis to play in class 2A instead of letting them play in Class 5A.

This group of hateful bureaucrats in Louisiana has already succeeded at getting the silly "private school penalty" legislation passed once, so they figure why not do it again? As long as good people sit around and do nothing, you can expect more of the same.

I sincerely hope it passes. The state of Louisiana is its own worst enemy.

HD

+ Reply to Thread