+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did the 1988 graduates see the best four consecutive years of Tech athletics?

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Re: Did the 1988 graduates see the best four consecutive years of Tech athletics?

What's funny is I know a lot of the alums from my years 01-06 are big Tech fans but this was probably the WORST period of Tech Athletics, it started off great, joined & won WAC in FB, Techsters were perennial WAC champs and in post-season, then it was like a slow and steady spiral. With 05 being the real sucker punch year, just passed over by CUSA in favor of UTEP, then going 7-5 but no bowl and us gasping for air in 06 consequently firing HC & AD.

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Re: Did the 1988 graduates see the best four consecutive years of Tech athletics?

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    What's funny is I know a lot of the alums from my years 01-06 are big Tech fans but this was probably the WORST period of Tech Athletics, it started off great, joined & won WAC in FB, Techsters were perennial WAC champs and in post-season, then it was like a slow and steady spiral. With 05 being the real sucker punch year, just passed over by CUSA in favor of UTEP, then going 7-5 but no bowl and us gasping for air in 06 consequently firing HC & AD.
    I was 02-06. Dark days, indeed. I'm like you though, the alums I know from the time I was at Tech are HUGE Tech fans. I guess we're all optimists and realized there was nowhere to go but up after the on-field disasters we witnessed during our time on campus.

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

71-76 was best BB was Mike Green and Scotty. National Champs in FB plyoff (first ever), Dean, Carr, Duron, McNeely, Tilley, Harper, Barber, and a host of other great players.

And the trump card: Best Offensive Coordinator this planet has ever seen.

Varsity Bulldog svb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the rough svb002's Avatar

I was there at the same time. It's taken several years for me to really get back in the spirit, especially with the Techsters slumping.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    From the Fall of 1984 to the Spring of 1988 this is what they saw....Football:-3 winning seasons (84, 85, 86)-1 Conference Title (84)-saw the 1984 team reach the championship game for Div 1-AA and become Runners-up to Montana St.Men's Basketball: -3 Conference Titles (85, 87, 88)-3 Conference Tournament Championships (85, 87, 88)-2 NCAA Tournament Appearances (85, 87)-1 NCAA Sweet Sixteen Appearance (85)-saw 1984-85 season, the best season in Tech history as Tech finished 29-3 and appeared in the Sweet 16-saw Karl Malone finish out his career at TechWomen's Basketball:-2 30+ Win Seasons (87, 88)-4 NCAA Elite 8 Appearances (85, 86, 87, 88)-2 NCAA Finals Appearances (87, 88)-1 National Championship Title - 1988Baseball:-2 Conference Titles (86, 87)-2 NCAA Tournament Appearances (86, 87)Softball:-4 NCAA Tournament Appearances (85, 86, 87, 88)-2 Women's College World Series Appearances (85, 86)Men's Outdoor Track and Field:-1 Conference Title (88)Men's Indoor Track and Field:-1 Conference Title (88)Men's Cross Country:-1 Conference Title (86)Women's Tennis:=1 Conference Title (86)
    . Wow-- great research-- Drove over a lot from sport to see Malone-- 1 basket from sweet 16.around for brads haw from day 1 -- lambreight years etc rattay days ( went to USC game) lot of awesome memories but I can't disagree with your research. Aplus

Puppy Dawgbreath has turned a few heads around hereDawgbreath has turned a few heads around here

Don't forget about that night in April of 1987 in J.C. Love Field. Joey Belle playing for that team from East Port Allen. Charlie Montoya in the 10th inning....

Puppy Dawgbreath has turned a few heads around hereDawgbreath has turned a few heads around here

Don't forget about that night in April of 1987 in J.C. Love Field. Joey Belle playing for that team from East Port Allen. Charlie Montoya in the 10th inning....

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

I was from 2000-06. The 2006 football home game against Nevada was the worst LA Tech game of any sport I ever sat through. I still remember the "JOakes on Us" banners on the East Side of the stadium during the games around that time period. It's amazing how far Tech athletics has come since the dark ages of the mid-2000s.

I don't think the 1988 grads saw the best four years of Tech athletics, because the best years of Tech athletics are yet to come.

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbreath View Post

That was awesome!

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

This question will may probably never have the opportunity to ever be validated with the bigs vs little sis' of the poor that is college atheletics nowadays. Unfortunuately, IMHO I belive that Tech will have to pick & choose where to spend its limited resources. We obviously need the biggest bang for our buck. What helps us is having loyal & dedicated folks in charge. Spoon will eventually get us back to where the Techsters belong & I hope when we get there that students, alumni & fans will not take that for granted as some did in the past.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

My days were '97-'01. Broke into top 25. Beat Alabama twice. Timmy and Troy. Joined the WAC and won it (though this was just post my graduation).

Techsters went to their last final four in '99(that I attended), runner up in '98, 4 S16's, 3 E8's, conference and tournament champs every year.

Tiger Meeking, Lonnie Smith, and Gerrod Henderson made noise. Conference champs in '99.

Did we have a baseball team in the late '90's?

I don't consider these years the best...but perhaps the best since we've been playing the big boys in football???

Varsity Bulldog jtrammell is on top of his/her gamejtrammell is on top of his/her gamejtrammell is on top of his/her gamejtrammell is on top of his/her gamejtrammell is on top of his/her gamejtrammell is on top of his/her gamejtrammell is on top of his/her gamejtrammell is on top of his/her gamejtrammell is on top of his/her gamejtrammell is on top of his/her gamejtrammell is on top of his/her game

That was a men's conference tennis title in 1986. That was the last year we had a men's program.

+ Reply to Thread