+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Study recommending merger of LSUS and Tech to be released today

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Study recommending merger of LSUS and Tech to be released today

Quote Originally Posted by counselingdawg View Post
    I want LSUS and LSUHSC to merge into Tech. I want the main campus in Shreveport and all of their athletics played there. That would give Tech a medical school, and I hope also a law school at some point.
    I want to eat cheeseburgers and fries every meal and have a 32" waist. I hope also to wake up and be Brad Pitt's twin.

Varsity Bulldog svb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the rough svb002's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoopdawg View Post
    Grambling needs to become a JUCO or community college.
    I wonder if Grambling could survive privatization. But with their stellar record of accountability, it would probably mean their demise.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    What about the impact this has on Tech's enrollment in Ruston? I don't know numbers, but I'd be willing to bet good money the majority of Tech's undergrad enrollment comes from the SBC area. So if their degree is offered by both campuses, why go to Ruston?

You could say the student may want to get away from home, but other than that, I can't think of another reason. IMO, this should be the beginning of phasing out the undergrad programs and turning prospective LTUS into a biomed/petro engineering or other research campus.
    I don't think the Regal Blues have a Shreveport chapter . . . . yet.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by counselingdawg View Post
    I want the main campus in Shreveport and all of their athletics played there.
    Just when I thought I would never see an idea as bad as Oakes' blue cardboard footballs on the hill at JAS.....

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zharkins View Post
    Let's be honest, the number of students at Grambling and ULM that would meet Louisiana Tech's admission requirements would be so low that it would be more like a closure of those universities than a merger. Otherwise, if you are accepting the entire student populations of those institutions, then the academic level would fall to a point that I think Tech would no longer be attractive to to your top high school graduates from North Louisiana and you would end up running off just the students that make Louisiana Tech what it is.
    Right. Which is why there will have to be a transition period of about 2 yrs. Any current GSU and ulm student with 60+ hrs will be allowed to finish their degrees. Their diploma might read: Grambling State College of Louisiana Tech University. In other words, effective immediately, both GSU and ulm would cease being universities. They would be designated a college within Tech. However, in a practicle sense, for their students with the 60 hrs, their daily routine would change very little. They would generally have many of the same faculty they do now, with some exceptions due to some consolidations, and mostly be able to complete the degree program they have begun.

Any current GSU/ulm students(less than 60 hrs) wishing to remain will have to apply to Tech, and meet the same entry requirements. Some would, many won't. At that point, they would have to seek entry into another school. As for the hours they have earned, how many transfer with them will be up to whatever school they apply to.

Big Dog Sw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to all Sw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Leave Grambling alone I don't want Tech to have anything to do with it. The only thing that has kept that place open is it being an HBCU any other school making that amount and severity of financial mistakes would be closed.
    Well said! Grambling would be bringing a ton of problems in a ton of different ways! I don't see many of the rest of these ideas actually happening either, but that is the worst.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Grambling would slow down the process in MANY ways...... You get into MUCH more politics when trying to work a HBCU into the equation. We need to get LSUS and, then, work toward ulm. BPCC as a feeder........

Champ kdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the rough

LFR you need the "P 90 x"!!!!

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Grambling would slow down the process in MANY ways...... You get into MUCH more politics when trying to work a HBCU into the equation. We need to get LSUS and, then, work toward ulm. BPCC as a feeder........
    Exactly, Champ. TECH/LSUS first. Set the precedent, chip away...one at a time. I actually work with a lady who is deeply tied at ULM, 2 degrees from there, and is on a first name basis with most of the leadership at ULM. She has said to me that the talk is "all over" ULM that they fully expect to be Louisiana Tech University @ Monroe in the not-too-distant-future.

For obvious political reasons, I see GSU as untouchable. The state of Louisiana can't consolidate it, and certainly can't consider closing it, unless they want another "Arizona" on their hands.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    Exactly, Champ. TECH/LSUS first. Set the precedent, chip away...one at a time. I actually work with a lady who is deeply tied at ULM, 2 degrees from there, and is on a first name basis with most of the leadership at ULM. She has said to me that the talk is "all over" ULM that they fully expect to be Louisiana Tech University @ Monroe in the not-too-distant-future.

For obvious political reasons, I see GSU as untouchable. The state of Louisiana can't consolidate it, and certainly can't consider closing it, unless they want another "Arizona" on their hands.
    I agree....... Do you remember the lsu/Southern attempt. It, also, included UNO and SUNO. Marches, protests, and LOTS of politics that wouldn't have been there, if it had not been an HBCU.

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    And I see it as a round that we don't want to chamber as it could get very ugly!

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

While I would love for there to be a Tech "system" so to speak or even just having these other universities fall under our umbrella I have to say I want no part of Grambling. Let them be. Too much baggage and political hurdles that don't result in a big enough gain. First order of business for ulM would be having their athletics compete at the D2 or 3 level. Too much money being wasted there right now.

Big Dog TXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the rough TXDAWG81's Avatar

Lets use Texas A&M as an example. Back in the 70's they were a sleepy little university with about 12,000 students, and today have an on campus enrollment of 50,000+. Their leadership saw the advantages that size gives you and committed to grow the university by doing what they do best. First class Engineering, Science, Agriculture departments that are the envy of the state, always with an eye toward "growth". They built bigger and more class rooms and expanded offerings to attract more students to little ole College Station. Bigger and better dorms to attract more students. Bigger and better athletic facilities too!! That should be our model for the La Tech campus in Ruston. To hell with merging LSUS with Tech!!! That's a trap we'll never get out of. Anybdy in SBC advocating a merger is no friend of LT Ruston!!! Our goal should be an on campus student population of 20,000+ by 2020. Make that happen then we'll discuss mergers, etc....
    Last edited by TXDAWG81; 02-19-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Varsity Bulldog slappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the roughslappycajun is a jewel in the rough

I don't know the details, but I really support this merger. I can leave the rivalry side of things on the athletics side. It's painfully obvious that we have too many 4 years schools in this state. Tech, UL-Lafayette, UNO should probably each support student populations of over 20K. LSU can have some and the rest of the schools in the state need to have a minimal footprint. I think the LSUS merger is interesting. Obviously, as the 2/3rd biggest city in the State, Shreveport needs to be better served. My questions for you guys in the know is this...

1) I saw on the LSU-S website that they only require a 20 ACT for entrance. How do you guys make that jive with your standards. I think both of our standards are going up next year.
    2) Will the schools be on entity or two. If one entity. It will be interesting to see if students on the Shreveport campus have part of their tuition donated to Tech athletics. Obviously that woudl be a huge benefit to you all. However, I can see that it would raise some problems with students 70 miles away.

I think this should save the state some money. Although, I think the real benefit would be merging Tech/ULM. We should still save money on administrative costs alone. It is very interesting to say the least. Unfortunately, I suppose it will likely put Chad McDowell out of a job.

Big Dog DrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to all

Lets use Texas A&M as an example. Back in the 70's they were a sleepy little university with about 12,000 students, and today have an on campus enrollment of 50,000+. Their leadership saw the advantages that size gives you and committed to grow the university by doing what they do best. First class Engineering, Science, Agriculture departments that are the envy of the state, always with an eye toward "growth". They built bigger and more class rooms and expanded offerings to attract more students to little ole College Station. Bigger and better dorms to attract more students. Bigger and better athletic facilities too!! That should be our model for the La Tech campus in Ruston. To hell with merging LSUS with Tech!!! That's a trap we'll never get out of. Anybdy in SBC advocating a merger is no friend of LT Ruston!!! our goal should be an on campus student population of 20,000+ by 2020. Make that happen then we'll discuss mergers, etc....
    I am with you on this one. I am not convinced of the benefits to Tech of a merger with LSU-S. There are plenty of benefits to other parties, I just don't see the benefits to us. I am not privy to how the finances would work out, so there may be something there that makes this a better deal than it appears to be to me.

+ Reply to Thread