+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Study recommending merger of LSUS and Tech to be released today

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Re: Study recommending merger of LSUS and Tech to be released today

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Not true. Even with all it's great attributes, it is more in line to be moved and/or closed all together.

It is. And being in Louisiana, that stipulation will last all of 10 years max after he is gone. Ruston doesn't seem to have the political support to get what is necessary done (closing of ULM/GSU, increase/keep funding), so there is little to make me think they will have the power to keep Tech in Ruston if Shreveport were to start as equals, but then see enrollment and support increase in ways Ruston has yet to dream.
    I think you're incorrect, it's not Tech's job to leverage political resources to close ULM/GSU, that's a risky and counterproductive endeavor, and Tech has increased funding through supporting and pushing for the performance based funding formulas.

Tech moving to Shreveport is an asinine statement mainly for the fact that the state would have to do two things it (and tax payers) loathe, walk away from already owned buildings, land, and infrastructure in Ruston and purchase additional land/buildings in Shreveport.

I know the study focuses on growing Shreveport's educational capacity but don't be fooled the only way it happens is if it can also reduce costs to the state/systems...

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

The combined single institution would continue to be a Regents-designated statewide university, operating in two campuses of equal importance—rather than “main campus” in Ruston and “branch” campus in Shreveport.

I really don't like this. It sounds like a ULM / ULL situation. I can just see them trying to call us LTUR.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I'm pretty sure one of Reneau's imperatives was that the main campus would have to remain in Ruston.
    I've been trying to find those imperatives, can you help?

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I liked the idea more under the LSU system simply for the thought of better funding (not fighting with the other 8 ULS school) and the possibility of getting at least name control of LSUMC.

I like it less if it is funded by the ULS system and we don't get the med center.

If tier 1 is partially dependent on grad students, ULM only has around 900 and we wouldnt get them all so that doesnt help (and this is just my version i know they arent in the deal).

Does anyone know how many LSUS has?

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    I've been trying to find those imperatives, can you help?
    Our colors will be red and blue, our mascot will be the bulldog, and the main campus will be in Ruston.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

The USNWR Tier 1 status criteria has nothing to do with the number of grad students.

By taking over LSUS, we would probably fall out of Tier 1 because LSUS's grad rate is about half of Tech's grad rate.

LSUS has mostly non-traditional students.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LThoo View Post
    They have campus apartments that are behind WK Pierremont .
    LSUS does not own those apartments, but those apartments do reserve room for 400 LSUS students.

From Dan Reneau:

As it pertains to any talk of a move to the LSU System, there are a number of issues that would need to be satisfied before any proposal could be seriously considered. I want to be very clear in stating that these items are non-negotiable and must be agreed upon, at the highest levels, before any consideration can be given to new system affiliation.

1) We must retain the name “Louisiana Tech University” without compromise, modification or abbreviation.

2) We must retain Tech Red and Blue as our official university colors.

3) We must retain “Bulldogs” as our official university mascot and “Bulldogs” and “Lady Techsters” respectively, as the official names for our men’s and women’s athletics teams.

4) Regardless of the expanse of the physical campus or the future geographic footprint of Louisiana Tech University, the location of the main campus must remain in Ruston, LA.

5) A significant value added to Louisiana Tech University must be clearly defined and agreed upon in advance of any formal proposal or action.

http://news.latech.edu/2011/06/28/le...to-lsu-system/

Varsity Bulldog SportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to all

The USNWR Tier 1 status criteria has nothing to do with the number of grad students.

By taking over LSUS, we would probably fall out of Tier 1 because LSUS's grad rate is about half of Tech's grad rate.

Precisely - this is all about improving the educational opportunities for the non-traditional students in Shreveport - not about improving LA TECH. Shreveport wants the TECH "brand" transplanted to Shreveport. Unfortunately the "non-traditional" student is unable to continue to pursue his/her education as families, and time constraints, grow.

For what it is worth - this "merger" has little chance politically. The State's budget woes are so bad and Gov. J is not concerned. The LSU system is draining the budgets of the "outpost" campuses for the "flagship." I do not see any upside in this for TECH.

STF

Champ JAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to behold

We would probably add Petroleum Engineering, Geology and Petroleum Land Management which TECH needs to be offering now.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JAMROB View Post
    We would probably add Petroleum Engineering, Geology and Petroleum Land Management which TECH needs to be offering now.
    What makes you think that? LSUS doesn't offer those programs and I doubt there would be money to start them up. I don't know where the money would come from.

Champ JAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    What makes you think that? LSUS doesn't offer those programs and I doubt there would be money to start them up. I don't know where the money would come from.
    Really thats your answer. They are looking for ways to increase educational opportunities to the region with direct plug-ins to the white collar marketplace in one of the most high demand fields that exist. They better fund it yesterday. In fact we should have already done this, before somebody else does.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Isn't this the 8th times this has been discussed?? Not by the board exactly, but by "them".
    Yes. But that's what they do in Louisiana.....that talk this stuff to death. They never actually take action.

HD

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

By taking over LSUS, we would probably fall out of Tier 1 because LSU-S's grad rate is about half of Tech's grad rate.

I don't think so. This statement makes it sound like the two campuses will remain separate, but equal. Kinda like CAL-Berkley, UCLA, UCSB, etc.....

the combined single institution would continue to be a Regents-designated statewide university, operating in two campuses of equal importance—rather than “main campus” in Ruston and “branch” campus in Shreveport.
    Not sure I like that, though. Why would we want to give LSU-S "equal" status? The way I see it, we're coming to their rescue.

HD

Champ Bill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant future

From Dan Reneau:

As it pertains to any talk of a move to the LSU System, there are a number of issues that would need to be satisfied before any proposal could be seriously considered. I want to be very clear in stating that these items are non-negotiable and must be agreed upon, at the highest levels, before any consideration can be given to new system affiliation.

1) We must retain the name “Louisiana Tech University” without compromise, modification or abbreviation.

2) We must retain Tech Red and Blue as our official university colors.

3) We must retain “Bulldogs” as our official university mascot and “Bulldogs” and “Lady Techsters” respectively, as the official names for our men’s and women’s athletics teams.

4) Regardless of the expanse of the physical campus or the future geographic footprint of Louisiana Tech University, the location of the main campus must remain in Ruston, LA.

5) A significant value added to Louisiana Tech University must be clearly defined and agreed upon in advance of any formal proposal or action.

http://news.latech.edu/2011/06/28/le...to-lsu-system/
    In this regard, DR gets it.

+ Reply to Thread