+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Study says La Tech and LSU-S should merge - as part of Univ of LA system

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Re: Study says La Tech and LSU-S should merge - as part of Univ of LA system

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    It is sad to think that there will one day be a generation of Tech engineering students that will never know what it feels like to walk from the Hut-Cottingham parking lot to Bogard Hall with a day's worth of engineering textbooks strapped to their back.
    What do you mean strapped on their back, try under your arm!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    What do you mean strapped on their back, try under your arm!
    Indeed. Backpacks weren't cool back then.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    If DR and LA Tech are smart, they'll incorporate Cisco Telepresence Technology into their classrooms. It would be perfect for this Ruston-Shreveport merger. A professor could be teaching in either location and the class could be broadcast INTERACTIVELY in REAL TIME in the other city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVOk2uzLO-w

This isn't like watching your TV or some video on your laptop. The student in Shreveport will be able to see and hear the teacher in Ruston, and ask questions in real time, and the teacher in Ruston can see and hear the student in Shreveport.

HD
    My guess would be that in order for this technology to be scaled-up to classroom size (from say, boardroom-size) with sufficient clarity to be truly and comfortably interactive would be inordinately expensive, especially for Tech's budget. OK, blast away at my failure to keep up!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

If DR and LA Tech are smart, they'll incorporate Cisco Telepresence Technology into their classrooms. It would be perfect for this Ruston-Shreveport merger. A professor could be teaching in either location and the class could be broadcast INTERACTIVELY in REAL TIME in the other city.

This isn't like watching your TV or some video on your laptop. The student in Shreveport will be able to see and hear the teacher in Ruston, and ask questions in real time, and the teacher in Ruston can see and hear the student in Shreveport.

HD
    I think U of H and/or Houston Baptist have been doing something this for their MBA program down there for 15+ years. A buddy of mine took the course work that way in the 90's.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Yeah there are potential advantages
    Only if implemented correctly...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Indeed. Backpacks weren't invented back then.
    Fixed it for you.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

HD
    I performed a product presentation for one of the Worley Parsons Groups recently where we used this technology. I was physically on the west side of Houston with about 35 engineers while we were being 'broadcasted' to 2 other Houston offices, 1 in the UK and 1 on the west coast of the USA simultaniously (there were a total of 66 engineers effectively watching at one time). They could see me and the presentation slides on their screens and during a question, their group came up on my screen so it was almost total interaction and responses as if we were all in the same room.

I am sure the set-up was an expensive investment, but the overall savings (especially to a company like mine) was invaluble. For me to have done that for all those engineers while at the same time, the time aways from their 'billing time' in each office more than paid for the system, I am sure.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

My son was teaching classes at Asbury Seminary in Wilmore Ky at least 8 years ago that were simultaneously presented at their campus in Florida. As memory serves the classes were fully interactive. Asbury had made a significant investment for the technology but like so many things involving technology, its probably less expensive now than it was then.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    My son was teaching classes at Asbury Seminary in Wilmore Ky at least 8 years ago that were simultaneously presented at their campus in Florida. As memory serves the classes were fully interactive. Asbury had made a significant investment for the technology but like so many things involving technology, its probably less expensive now than it was then.
    If there is a merger with lsu-s, I hope it leans heavily on this sort of model. Have a TA in S'port and a lecturer in Ruston (or vice-versa).

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

HD
    Or we could just tape an iphone at the front of the class and face time.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Or we could just tape an iphone at the front of the class and face time.
    Yahoo Messenger or SKYPE...LOL

OR---since we have a great contract with America's 3rd largest telecommunications provider, I just bet they could HOOK A BRUTA UP with some Video Conferencing over Fiber. Just sayin'

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Yes.

http://www.phoenix.edu/about_us/accreditation.html

In general, just because it is online doesn't mean it is a false degree.
    How are test administered? Do you have open book?

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    How are test administered? Do you have open book?
    I completed my MBA from Liberty University's distance learning. We had closed book tests that were administered by a proxy that signed and confirmed as such. The proxy was my manager.

In comparing experiences with those in traditional MBA programs and EMBA programs, the amount of research and writing I did was much greater.

Big Dog TN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to all

CHC,
    I was looking int o the online MBA from Liberty as well. What was your experience like with that? Ran into anything else that sounded better?

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Test can be administered through a myriad of ways. Like CHC said via a proxy which is the more traditional approach and probably the cheapest. Open book as well...but what I have found, those can be the most difficult. Another way, taking a test in a Facilitator Monitored testing center with dedicated computers and the student logs onto the computer (either a website or CBT module) and from a menu selects the appropriate test. But those are usually limited to the multiple guess, true/false, matching, labeling, or fill in the blank type assessments. But the nice thing about this type of testing, the student knows how well or bad they did on the exam before they get up out of their chair. As an instructor, I like this type of testing because I don't have to spend countless hours grading tests. Additionally, the Access or SQL database that this type of testing is designed around, gathers all of my data and I can build reports and identify trends analysis over a broader range of students/time without having to pull out my slide rule.

+ Reply to Thread