+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Saints Bounty Program

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Re: Saints Bounty Program

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    come on BD, we all know big hits are glorified and rewarded in all ages of football, especially high school. That is how you earn the decals on your helmet most of the time when you are defense. Everyone knows bounties were very common 10-15 years ago, heard many players (especially Cris Carter) talk about on ESPN before. I really dont care if they did it or if anyone else does it. The NFL's excitement is mostly about the big hits, everyone likes to see them. We dont like to see people get hurt, but is the risk premium they are paid for doing the job, just like any other dangerous job (underwater drilling, private security forces in Iraq). Sadly, those who put the most at stake (our troops), dont get paid dick.
    I don't see where we disagree. EXCEPT: If you know its illegal, and you do it anyways, don't bitch about being punished if you get caught. That's on you.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Man, now I know what it is like to be on the wrong end of an ESPN trouser tent. Those guys can talk about something ad nauseum. I just dont see why this story is so interesting. This is football and America, stupid incentives are all over the place. I think this story would be more interesting if it were the Steelers just because of all of the illegal hits by Harrison, but since the Saints have only had a few, I dont see the juice in the story. However, maybe people are more interested in it.

The more interesting story is the dang Saints not paying Brees. The guy is a legend in NO, he is not taking a discount to help the team. No one is blaming Brees for this deal not getting done. The franchise was crap for the forty years before he got there and he has made them viable every year since he got there. Get a clue Saints. This whole thing about Loomis saying that Brees was "very good, but not great", if true, it isnt good negotiating, it is just denail of the reality of how great Brees has been over the last 6 years. Seriously?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

1. Everyone does it...

2. The Saints were S-T-U-P-I-D in keeping a paper trail of who got what, instead of just throwing a stack of cash on the training table and dolling it out during a monday morning film session -

3. Everyone Does IT -

4. The Saints were STUPID for having "formal" organization

5. Someone is a RAT
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ DellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond repute DellDawg's Avatar

The RAT is most likely a former assistant or player.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Herd was hammering away on the Saints this am on the radio about the ambulance chasers and the legal aspects.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    Exactly and it will continue in one shape or form. However, bounty hunting is against the rules, punish the Saints and every other team too. Hard hits, not so much.

Next thing you know, we will be watching FLAG football on Sunday afternoons and Monday nights. Football is a violent sport, especially at that level. If you don't like like it, don't watch it. Saying that, should the Saints get punished...YES, but if you punish the Saints, then just about every other team in the NFL should get fined too....Now, back to the Saints online store to buy me some black & gold FLAGS!!

AND let's hold off on the Saints not winning another Super Bowl anytime soon, unless of course they don't sign Drew Brees to a long term contract (3-5 years). That will hurt more than whatever punishment they get. As long as Payton and Brees are there, they have a chance.

WHO DAT!!
    Last edited by Tdawg87; 03-06-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, DC/IRS will probably come down on our guys like they did Gibson Guitar...... UP AGAINST THE WALL MOTHER %#$@ers!!!

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

As a Saints fan I am really upset about this (the Drew Brees news didn't help either). If it came out that a bunch of teams were doing this and that the Saints were one of those teams I would probably just blow it off as part of the game. I am not that upset that they had a "bounty" program. I am upset that we have become the poster child for this issue and we are now being called a dirty team. I am even more upset that the coaches not only knew about it but encouraged it (and left a paper trail). The thing that upsets me the most though is that the NFL told the Saints to stop and the Loomis, Peyton, Williams, whoever chose not to. I hate that we are being compared to the Patriots and Spygate. I don't think the base offense of the "bounty" program is anywhere close to the same level as spygate and all reports indicate that it is very common among other teams in the league. I'm actually glad that former players like Golic and Woodson are coming out and saying that this went on with the coaches knowledge while they were playing.

The bottom line though is the league told us to stop and we didn't. I hope they throw the book at us. I was hoping this would be a special year, but that is looking more and more unlikely.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DellDawg View Post
    So I've been thinking about this aspect for a while. Greg Williams admits to the program knowing what it will do to New Orleans. Word is that he ran the same program at Buffalo and DC. I don't think a one year suspension is enough. I think he should cost any team that employs him their first round pick for every team he had this program with. This should start after his one year suspension.

I think I'm more bothered by the fact that the reprocussions of an act carried out by a team won't be faced as a team. It's easy to punish the Saints, but this was an act carried out as much by the names on the back of the jersey as the name on the front.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DellDawg View Post
    Word is it is a disgruntled ex-front office employee that is blowing the whistle.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

I am really not trying to stir the pot, however, KMSS news teased a story last night that the Bounty Scandal had effects on the Cowboys. I wasn't interested enough to stay tuned into the news. Any idea as to what the story is? I tried looking on the KMSS website, but it sucks.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I hope Spags pays them enough to get someone to cover Vernon Davis this year.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

This is the best article I've sen on this subject.

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/ed...-on-saints.ece

There’s no denying the NFL’s popularity. We each have our own reasons, from the athleticism to the strategy to the tribalism to, yes, even the controlled violence.

The latter is imprinted in SportsCenter-worthy big hits, crushing tackles delivered with the shocking force generated when two large humans moving at high rates of speed collide.

Players sometimes do not get up. Teammates and trainers help them limp to the sideline, unless they are so damaged that they must leave on motorized carts, their head and neck stabilized.

An unfortunate part of the game, right? Big hits communicate commitment and toughness: Our tribe wants to win more than yours, and woe be it unto those in our way. Sorry about your damn luck.

Except it isn’t always bad luck. Sometimes, it’s an intentional injury dealt out by one tribe’s players, who pool their cash and hope to get paid a little extra for that big hit that ends someone’s day — or career.

The violence, then, is no longer controlled. It’s encouraged, celebrated even, with payoffs. Why leave to chance what a well-placed helmet to a star quarterback’s knee can ensure? If winning is everything, why not grab an extra $1,500 or $1,000 for putting a Brett Favre or Kurt Warner in the hospital?

Because it’s morally wrong, a cowardly way to win? Maybe, but you don’t see the 2009 New Orleans Saints lining up to give back their Super Bowl championship rings.

The NFL , in a report released last week, determined that for three seasons the Saints had just such a bounty pool, administered by a tough-guy defensive assistant. The head coach, Sean Payton, knew. His boss, general manager Mickey Loomis , knew. Not only did they not stop it, the NFL says Loomis ignored a direct order from owner Tom Benson.

The Saints, once a national feel-good story for helping a stricken city rebound from natural disaster, should not recover from this disgusting practice anytime soon.

The NFL already faces court actions from ex-players injured in legal play. How can it not bring swift, heavy justice to those who subsidized injury through illegal means? Refresh yourself on the criminal punishment for aggravated assault, which is effectively what the Saints players would have faced for doing this outside the Superdome.

It’s hard to imagine the league would allow former defensive aide Gregg Williams, since moved to the St. Louis Rams, to work again soon, if ever. Could the same not be said for Payton and Loomis? Hefty fines also await, along with the loss of draft picks.

If bounties are common, as some allege, does that make them right?

Remember the Saints the next time you see a player helped to the sideline or carted off. Unfortunate accident or pay-for-pain? If this is not what the NFL wants its customers wondering, it must act decisively now.

HD

+ Reply to Thread