+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $1.3 milliion vs. $59k...

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: $1.3 milliion vs. $59k...

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    What do any of you think Tech would have to spend to get a final 4 appearance every several years?

How much did Memphis spend to raise their program up, and how long did it take?

USU has good attendance but they still can't break through to the top ranks. They have consistently good basketball and attendance, but haven't struck gold yet.
    I wouldn't say that Memphis hasn't struck gold - they have multiple final fours and a NC game appearance that went down to the last second vs KU

Final Four appearances for a mid major (and yes we are a mid-major and more realistically a low major based on our budget) is a 1/1000 chance regardless of the money

You have to look at what Memphis basketball generates in $$$ for Memphis and what Utah State basketball generates for USU....

I guarantee you that those two schools benefit more from their basketball dollars than they do their football dollars and are worth every dime invested in their men's programs

I would like to just invest 75% of what USU invests in their men's program in our men's program

Buying those home games means alot, charter means alot when flying to away games, full academic centers mean alot to keeping borderline kids eligible, seperate practice facilities breed gym rats and better ball players

And all of those add up to more post-season appearances and chances for deep runs in the tourney - all you have to do is catch fire for two or three games and you are the NATIONAL story....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    That's exactly what he's saying.

Just invest a few million dollars in better coaches, new facilities, etc... and we can get expect a $1.3 Million payback! What a deal!!

HD
    Yep HD and DONW, that is exactly what I am saying...all we have to do is make the MBB final 4. I knew that you 2 would be the ones to figure that out. Thanks.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Memphis isn't a basketball mid-major. Their MBB budget ranks #31 in the country. They spend significantly more on MBB than we spend on football. And Memphis football obviously suffers from them investing so much into MBB.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Memphis isn't a basketball mid-major. Their MBB budget ranks #31 in the country. They spend significantly more on MBB than we spend on football. And Memphis football obviously suffers from them investing so much into MBB.
    I know - but you can't argue that BASKETBALL isn't good for Memphis and that's why I didn't say we needed Memphis' basketball budget...

There is one axiom that almost always holds true "You get what you pay for"....

And if Memphis' budget is 31st and they are a consistent top 15 team, then they are getting a good return on thier budget
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I noticed the talking heads refer to Memphis as a "Mid Major" the other day. They don't know what their own poorly worded phrases define.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I know - but you can't argue that BASKETBALL isn't good for Memphis and that's why I didn't say we needed Memphis' basketball budget...

And if Memphis' budget is 31st and they are a consistent top 15 team, then they are getting a good return on thier budget
    I'm not arguing basketball isn't good for Memphis. I was just trying to give some perspective on their situation since FishingBack was asking about them. The Memphis model is something we neither can nor want to try to emulate.

I strongly agree with your axiom. We have less money than most our peers so I strongly believe we have to be very smart about how we invest it. We can't afford to waste any money.

I don't pay close attention to basketball other than Tech basketball, but I wouldn't consider Memphis a consistent top 15 team. Over the last 3 seasons Memphis has earned 2 NCAA tourney appearances and no NCAA tourney wins. No top 25 appearances in the final polls from the last 3 years. They probably get what they pay for: ~#31. However, they did become an elite program under the cheatin' Coach Cal several years go.

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OmahaDawg View Post
    VCU sold $1.3 million in merch in March 2011 vs. $59k in merch March 2010. Basketball is the quickest way to make money for your AthDept. Oh, and athletics is the lens through which the public views your University.

If Tech were to make a final 4 we would either not have enough merchandise available or merchandise would only be available to "walk in customers" at the bookstore for way too much. Ruston Walmart is full of LSU & GSU merchandise. Shreveport is full of LSU & (pick a name here) merchandise. If you want LA Tech merchandise...good luck. It is few and far between. This is more of a problem than the fact that we don't play in final 4's.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

Memphis is not a consistent top 25 team. The money they spend on bb is good for the bb team and nothing else.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgs1 View Post
    If Tech were to make a final 4 we would either not have enough merchandise available or merchandise would only be available to "walk in customers" at the bookstore for way too much. Ruston Walmart is full of LSU & GSU merchandise. Shreveport is full of LSU & (pick a name here) merchandise. If you want LA Tech merchandise...good luck. It is few and far between. This is more of a problem than the fact that we don't play in final 4's.
    Thanks, but I have no idea what you post is about...do you really think that VCU had $1.3MM in merch ready to sell when their team started NCAA tourney play that year?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Memphis is not a consistent top 25 team. The money they spend on bb is good for the bb team and nothing else.
    True.

+ Reply to Thread