+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mulkey article

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Re: Mulkey article

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Phil has jumped the shark!
    Hey Clyde how the heck are things in Memphis, I used to live there and coached at Memphis Harding Academy when Juana Brown was playing.
    Also was over at Christian Brothers University for a couple years miss that area ALOT.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    Hey Clyde how the heck are things in Memphis, I used to live there and coached at Memphis Harding Academy when Juana Brown was playing.
    Also was over at Christian Brothers University for a couple years miss that area ALOT.
    Springtime in Memphis. Its awesome! Too much to do!

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Springtime in Memphis. Its awesome! Too much to do!
    May be coming up for "Memphis in May"
    That is such a fun week.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Phil has jumped the shark!
    Time to switch to decaf.

Here is the entire article for those that might not have seen it.
    McGREGOR, Texas — On her knees, tears flowing, snot pouring from both nostrils, voice fading, Kim Mulkey pleaded for her professional life at Louisiana Tech. She desperately wanted a five-year contract to coach the women’s basketball team back in 2000.
    If there is a sanitized way to describe her appearance during that seminal scene in her career, Mulkey, for the moment, couldn’t conjure one a dozen years later. Destined to rise from her knees to become a regal sideline presence, Mulkey, the undisputed queen of women’s basketball across the border in Texas, says there is no elegant way to “beg.” But even that word doesn’t describe her depth perception.

Having given 19 years to the powerhouse program in tiny Ruston, La. — four as a player and 15 as an assistant coach — Mulkey believed she needed five seasons to comfortably replace her mentor, the iconic Leon Barmore, a future inductee into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. Having compiled the highest winning percentage in women’s college history, Barmore was conveniently retiring at age 55 to make way for his handpicked successor.

Mulkey believed five years would give her time to put her own stamp on the program. It was standard for those perceived as up-and-coming coaches, she argued. Just the previous year, another Louisiana Tech assistant, Kristy Curry, had moved on to Purdue for a similar term.

Closer to home, in her decade-and-a-half apprenticeship under Barmore, Mulkey had turned down head coaching offers from South Carolina, Missouri and, finally in 1998, Texas A&M. Now, another Texas school had come courting. But like A&M, Baylor seemed a million miles away for a woman with limitless expectations who had never lived or worked outside Louisiana.

Waco, then a city of 113,000, had five times the population of comfortable, cozy Ruston, 300 miles to the east. It was the big city. When she visited Baylor to talk about a job, Mulkey marveled at the plethora of restaurant choices in Waco.

And, as a practical matter, five years would guarantee Mulkey, then a married mother of a young daughter and son, the security that might come with 20 years in a Louisiana state pension system.

Mulkey understood Tech couldn’t match the money she would make in the Big 12. But length of contract shouldn’t have been a deal breaker.

Louisiana Tech, which at first offered Mulkey three years, was now dangling four.

With the same unwilling-to-compromise single-mindedness that always had served her so well as a player and coach, Mulkey visited the office of the Tech president to make a final plea. Getting nowhere, the former blood-and-guts, 5-4 point guard who led the Lady Techsters to four Final Fours and two national titles, made a last-ditch attempt to show how far she was willing to go to get what she wanted.

And so she dropped to her knees.

“What’s the right word? I know there is a word for it,” Mulkey is saying, sitting in the living room of her sprawling suburban Waco home, feet propped over the arm of a chair, white-tipped French-pedicure toes wiggling in the air. “There is a word for what I was doing in that office. I just can’t think of it.”

Almost 30 minutes later, Mulkey interrupted herself in mid-sentence while discussing the influence that her 1984 Olympic coach, Pat Summitt of Tennessee, had on her career.

“Grovel,” Mulkey volunteered. “The word for what I did in that office is grovel. That’s how badly I didn’t want to leave home. Man, how low did I go?”

Mulkey said when she realized she could sink no lower, she wiped her face, raised herself, turned her back and marched out the door of the president’s office. Soon after, she called Baylor to tell the Bears she was theirs.

She headed to Waco to rebuild a moribund program that hadn’t managed more conference wins than losses in its four Big 12 seasons and just that past season finished dead last in the standings.

“Sometimes you thank God for unanswered prayers,” she said.

Tough as nails

Coincidentally, it would be in her fifth season at Baylor that Mulkey led the Lady Bears to the NCAA women’s national championship. At a program that had been in the wilderness when she arrived, Mulkey, who would cry herself to sleep for months because she couldn’t understand why she was there, ascended to the top of the college basketball world in 2005.

Only three people have won an NCAA Division I basketball championship as a player and coach. The two others are Dean Smith and Bob Knight.

Mulkey reached that summit as she has lived her life — with smarts, shear force of will, and a personality that demands the same excellence in others that she worked so hard to achieve for herself. Such has become her public profile. She revels in it because she believes it gives her a competitive advantage.

But she insists there is another side reserved for her inner circle, including her children, players and friends.

When a player’s mother was murdered during the 2008 season, it was Mulkey who returned home with her to Arkansas to tend to the player’s needs. A sign of weakness? Better not to publicly dwell on it.

“Most people think she is a hard-core, strict, intimidating woman, and maybe she is on the court,” said Mulkey’s daughter, Makenzie, a Baylor sophomore who plays for the Lady Bears. “But behind the scenes, she’s really laid-back. She is not always the persona she portrays.”

Mulkey’s son, Kramer, a high school football and baseball star, was more succinct: “She’s not mean like people think.”

All but one of Mulkey’s 12 Baylor teams have advanced to the NCAA Tournament. Mulkey’s NCAA title team was made up of players overlooked by traditional powers. The scavenged team finished 33-3.

This season’s team, having reaped the rewards of championship success, is loaded with high school All-Americans. It finished the regular season 31-0 and was the unanimous No. 1 team in the nation heading into the Big 12 tournament. Monday, it will earn another top seed for the NCAA Tournament.

There are those who believe she could expand her horizons if the college world were ready.

Grant Teaff, who served 21 seasons as Baylor’s football coach en route to a place in the College Football Hall of Fame, has declared she “would have no problem” coaching his sport.

Fran Fraschilla , an ESPN analyst who will call the women’s NCAA Tournament, said Mulkey has “the toughness, intensity, style and smarts to coach at any level.” That would be men as well as women.

In the wake of the national championship, Mulkey received a congratulatory message from Dan Reneau, the Louisiana Tech president she last saw from the ground up.

Finally, someone else opened the letter. Seven years later, Mulkey has not responded. Reneau, who persuaded Barmore to stay and coach at Tech two years after the planned retirement, has since hired three more women’s basketball coaches.

“Talk to that man?” Mulkey said. “That’s not who I am.”

Standing her ground

Mind made up, Mulkey never blinks. It is a habit she established early in her 49 years. The title of her autobiography, published in 2007, is to the point: Won’t Back Down — Teams, Dreams, and Family.

Determined to be the valedictorian of her high school class, Mulkey, raised in Tickfaw, La. (population 600), graduated first in her class at nearby Hammond High School. She compiled a perfect 4.0 grade-point average before graduating in 1980.

On the basketball court, she led Hammond to four consecutive state championships. She never missed a day of school from kindergarten through 12th grade.

Outside school, her first organized sport was baseball. Before playing basketball with the girls, she played with the boys. Twice she was selected to the league all-star team.

On weekend nights, Mulkey didn’t spend time with other girls. Instead, she loved to lose herself at a local roller skating rink. At 12, she turned that into a competition when she entered a marathon. She lasted 23 hours, 55 minutes going around in circles. She finished fourth behind three adults.

“People ask me why I don’t say I skated for 24 hours,” she said. “That’s simple. I don’t say I did, because I didn’t.”

Mulkey’s father, Leslie, an ex-Marine, was an exterminator. Her mother, Dru, managed a doctor’s office and ran a beauty shop out of the family home. She had one sister, 11 months younger.

“I was my father’s all-American boy,” Mulkey said. “He was a great dad. If I can be half the mother he was as a father when I was growing up, my kids will be good.”

Mulkey and her father haven’t spoken in 25 years.

The daughter felt betrayed when her father and mother divorced. Daughter invited father and his new wife to her 1987 wedding to Randy Robertson. There was a disagreement over where the new wife would sit during the ceremony. The bride was determined that it wouldn’t be with the wedding party.

Father didn’t attend the wedding. A final plea, a registered letter written and sent by Robertson, didn’t solicit a response. Kim Mulkey walked down the aisle alone.

Grandfather has never met his grandchildren.

“I had no control of the situation when he chose to break up our family,” Mulkey said. “But I could control my wedding day. It was my day. He should have respected my wishes. He should have been there for me.”

Family life

From that wedding day through the championship season, she was Kim Mulkey Robertson. She met Randy at Louisiana Tech. He was a former quarterback who worked at the school.

McKenzie was born in 1991, just before Mulkey’s seventh season as an assistant coach. Kramer arrived in 1994.

“I never expected to have kids,” Mulkey said. “When I got pregnant, there was no glow. I was in a depression. I asked myself, ‘How am I going to work?’ “

It was Tennessee’s Summitt who advised Mulkey that her priorities would change.

“You will never neglect your children,” Summitt declared. “You will neglect your job for your children.”

The first time the assistant coach held her daughter in her arms, she knew Summitt had spoken the truth.

Mother took both babies on recruiting trips. She breast-fed them before and after games.

When they got older, she tried never to miss their school activities. Private jets became a convenient umbilical cord between mother and children.

But her marriage soured. She had no control when Randy Robertson told her he was moving out of their home in January 2006. Their relationship withered at the start of what should have been a celebratory season in the wake of winning the national championship. Finally, they visited a marriage counselor in Dallas.

Mulkey told the counselor and her husband she would give up coaching and walk away from Baylor basketball if it might save the marriage.

“Anyone who really knows me won’t be surprised that I would have given up my job,” she said. “Marriage vows say in good times and bad. That’s why the divorce is the most devastating thing to happen in my life.”

Since the divorce, Mulkey hasn’t talked to her former husband, who runs a public relations business in Waco, except to exchange perfunctory potential emergency information about the children. Still, father remains close to his children.

Surely, Robertson must have at least suspected he would have no relationship with his ex-wife. In an exchange of emails, his preferred way of answering questions, Robertson wrote about the post-break relationship: “Life is full of surprises and unexpected twists and turns. Most people understand that good communication is a key ingredient to successful relationships.”

Support system

Cheryl Gaude has known Kim Mulkey since the coach was 7. Gaude’s husband, Ralph, a disabled veteran, was a quadriplegic. Les Mulkey was the Gaudes’ exterminator back in Hammond. Dru Mulkey worked in their doctor’s office.

At Hammond High, Ralph helped out with the basketball program. Cheryl was the keeper of the girls basketball stat book.

Kim Mulkey was struck early by Cheryl’s devotion to her husband. The Gaudes didn’t have any children. They treated Kim as their own.

“Kim has never changed from the first day I met her,” Cheryl said. “She always had a mind of her own. She is amazingly loyal to those who are loyal to her. But it’s fair to say it is not wise to get on her wrong side.”

Gaude was sitting in the living room of the Mulkey home when the coach detailed her last minutes at Louisiana Tech.

Ralph Gaude died in October 2005. Three months later as the Robertsons’ marriage was ending, Cheryl decided to visit Waco. Cheryl — nanny, housekeeper, cook — has lived with Kim and the children ever since.

She is a piece of the support system Mulkey has imported from Ruston over the years.

Across the room sat Johnny Derrick. He ran an insurance office back in Ruston. In his 24 years in the business, he had as many as 40 women at a time working for him. In his spare time, he became involved with the Louisiana Tech women’s booster club. When Mulkey left for Waco, she needed someone to handle her new team’s traveling, scheduling, budgets and paperwork.

She invited Derrick, who had no basketball experience, to join her in Waco as an assistant coach.

“He knew how to work with women,” Mulkey said. “I needed that.”

For the last five seasons, Derrick has carried a new title: director of basketball operations. “I brought a comfort level for Kim,” he said. “I was a familiar face.”

Jennifer Roberts was another refugee from Ruston. A former manager of the women’s basketball team, she was working in the athletic department when Mulkey invited her to join the Baylor staff as an assistant coach.

Roberts quickly proved an effective recruiter. She found Sophia Young, a key contributor to Baylor’s national championship team. When illness forced Roberts to resign after the 2008 season, Mulkey again looked to the east.

She prodded Hall of Famer Barmore, her old coach, out of retirement.

“I was bored sitting home, and she was looking for old support,” Barmore said. “You don’t say no to Kim when she has her mind made up.”

In Waco, Barmore, who presumably retired for good after last season, found Mulkey to be much the same as she was when she first played for him three decades ago.

“She still very driven, very competitive, very goal-oriented,” he said. “She is a force of nature. We may never see one like her again.”

Big Dog Sw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to all Sw's Avatar

At the end of the day they are where they are, and we are where we are. It is easy to see who came out better... Now what!

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Sw View Post
    At the end of the day they are where they are, and we are where we are. It is easy to see who came out better... Now what!
    At the end of the day, Baylor's also losing a lot of money and we aren't. It depends on which "top" you reference when discussing who came out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    At the end of the day, Baylor's also losing a lot of money and we aren't. It depends on which "top" you reference when discussing who came out on top.
    Anytime Louisiana Tech isn't the news, or on the ticker running across the bottom of the screen it is a bad thing, it is VERY VERY VERY easy to see how STUPID our Brilliant Idiots were that allowed this to happen.
    You can't put a price tag on being relevant, any time Baylor is mentioned on TV or in Print for Women's Basketball that is an article that would have been talking about Louisiana Tech if the Brilliant Good Ole Boys would have not had their heads buried up each others butts.

Oh and since you are aware that they are losing money just how much have the lost? You seem to be in the know of their financial matters. Please let us know how much they have lost! I would love to know those figures.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Anytime Louisiana Tech isn't the news, or on the ticker running across the bottom of the screen it is a bad thing, it is VERY VERY VERY easy to see how STUPID our Brilliant Idiots were that allowed this to happen.
    You can't put a price tag on being relevant, any time Baylor is mentioned on TV or in Print for Women's Basketball that is an article that would have been talking about Louisiana Tech if the Brilliant Good Ole Boys would have not had their heads buried up each others butts.

Oh and since you are aware that they are losing money just how much have the lost? You seem to be in the know of their financial matters. Please let us know how much they have lost! I would love to know those figures.
    We lost a bunch, and with the salaries and staff that Baylor has committed there's little doubt Baylor's losing a bucket load. I don't know of a school that specifically reports women's athletics expenses, though I don't know this as a fact. But in many discussions, I have never learned of a women's program that operated in the black. And you CAN put a price tag on relevance. When relevance comes at the cost of drawing money from sports that actually have an opportunity to make money, that cost is too high.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

On "Outside the Lines" yesterday, they had the president of the NCAA on and he said, "there are only about 20 athletic programs in the country that come out each year in the black. They overwhelming majority are in the red." Basically, each sport doesn't matter by itself. If you aren't Texas, ND, Bama, TAMU, or Michigan then you are in the red.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    On "Outside the Lines" yesterday, they had the president of the NCAA on and he said, "there are only about 20 athletic programs in the country that come out each year in the black. They overwhelming majority are in the red." Basically, each sport doesn't matter by itself. If you aren't Texas, ND, Bama, TAMU, or Michigan then you are in the red.
    The point for us is how much in the red. Further, our overall athletic budget is so small that an additional investment in football or men's basketball could bring enough success to result in a surge in season ticket sales, and post-season play payouts; enough to put us in the black. Running a larger than necessary deficit, at this time, in women's basketball deducts directly from the two sports that have the most revenue upside.

Aggressively fund the two sports with strong revenue generation potential until they ARE consistent revenue generators, then expand funding for the non-revenue producing sports of both men and women.

The point for us is how much in the red. Further, our overall athletic budget is so small that an additional investment in football or men's basketball could bring enough success to result in a surge in season ticket sales, and post-season play payouts; enough to put us in the black. Running a larger than necessary deficit, at this time, in women's basketball deducts directly from the two sports that have the most revenue upside.

Aggressively fund the two sports with strong revenue generation potential until they ARE consistent revenue generators, then expand funding for the non-revenue producing sports of both men and women.
    How many years in a row have those other sports had consecutive winning seasons?
    How many National Titles have those other sports won, how many Final Four Appearances have those other sports had.
    I can think of the Sweet 16 one year for the Men's Team and the Top 32 twice
    How many weeks in a row was their program listed in the Top 20, Top 5 or #1 in the country?

Again you cannot put a price on relevance, since she has been gone we have not been relevant in any sport nor have we had as much success in any sport as we had when she was here with the program at Louisiana Tech so I am guessing her leaving and that money being funneled into other money making sports has really turned out well for us being in the National Spotlight.

How many years in a row have those other sports had consecutive winning seasons?
    How many National Titles have those other sports won, how many Final Four Appearances have those other sports had.
    I can think of the Sweet 16 one year for the Men's Team and the Top 32 twice
    How many weeks in a row was their program listed in the Top 20, Top 5 or #1 in the country?

Again you cannot put a price on relevance, since she has been gone we have not been relevant in any sport nor have we had as much success in any sport as we had when she was here with the program at Louisiana Tech so I am guessing her leaving and that money being funneled into other money making sports has really turned out well for us being in the National Spotlight.
    How many years have we aggressively funded the two revenue sports? Never! So that addresses your first question. Your second bolded statement is a false assumption. There was no excess money funneled to other sports. Tech was going to have to spend substantially MORE money (for salaries, additional coaches, facilities, etc.) in order to stay competitive in women's BB and Reneau was not willing to go hustle and find it. Instead, he continued to fund women's basketball at it's historical level and continued to underfund the two revenue sports. You might say he was an equal deprivation provider.

And you won't like this, but it's a hard reality. The relevance you keep referencing was quite ephemeral. If by relevance you mean national respect as a sporting power, all of that Lady Techster success did nothing to elevate Tech's status in the sporting hierarchy. This is much like ULL being a national power in softball or Tech's women's sprint domination. Likewise, Boise would never have become Boise being a powerhouse in women's basketball. They did it the ONLY way it can be done - through football.

If I could wave a wand and fund every sport sufficiently to be nationally relevant, I certainly would. But in lieu of that, football and men's basketball must be the first priority; and if we get that priority right, everything else we desire we flow from that.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

How many years have we aggressively funded the two revenue sports? Never! So that addresses your first question. Your second bolded statement is a false assumption. There was no excess money funneled to other sports. Tech was going to have to spend substantially MORE money (for salaries, additional coaches, facilities, etc.) in order to stay competitive in women's BB and Reneau was not willing to go hustle and find it. Instead, he continued to fund women's basketball at it's historical level and continued to underfund the two revenue sports. You might say he was an equal deprivation provider.

And you won't like this, but it's a hard reality. The relevance you keep referencing was quite ephemeral. If by relevance you mean national respect as a sporting power, all of that Lady Techster success did nothing to elevate Tech's status in the sporting hierarchy. This is much like ULL being a national power in softball or Tech's women's sprint domination. Likewise, Boise would never have become Boise being a powerhouse in women's basketball. They did it the ONLY way it can be done - through football.

If I could wave a wand and fund every sport sufficiently to be nationally relevant, I certainly would. But in lieu of that, football and men's basketball must be the first priority; and if we get that priority right, everything else we desire we flow from that.
    Even though we are not completely on the same page, you hit the one point that you, Phil, and I can all agree on. It is bolded. It is more about that than funding WBB over other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Even though we are not completely on the same page, you hit the one point that you, Phil, and I can all agree on. It is bolded. It is more about that than funding WBB over other sports.
    So are they not funding women's basketball at the same level they were funding it when Leon was there?

+ Reply to Thread