+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spoon/CEO

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Spoon/CEO

As I have previously stated, I am a fan of Spoon, the personality and the player. I am not a fan of Spoon the coach. Many of her choices have been indefensible this past season, and the perception is that she has no handle on building team chemistry. When Spoon was a player, she led her teams with skill and personality, but she had a coach with experience to focus and motivate her. Spoon's obvious lack of direction and experience as a coach were in large part to blame for the complete breakdown and failure of the team this season. You can argue it all you want, but it doesn't change the facts.

Those who say it doesn't matter because she's coming back next season...well, they are correct, to a degree. She is coming back, and she gets another chance, whether or not I or anyone else agrees or disagrees. So to that point, yes, we need to move on to 2012-2013 and hope that something changes. On the flip side of that argument, the facts of the past few seasons remain in place, and to ignore what is staring back at you in the mirror is to ignore reality. The Techster program cannot afford to ignore the reality that the game and the national scene has passed them by. Spoon needs assistance, she is out of her league as a head coach...in my opinion. That said, with the proper support of more qualified coaches around her, (and being self-assured enough to hire coaches with credentials and not some star-struck former assistants from junior colleges or weak conferences who also lack skills and experience at this level of play), there is the potential for Spoon to develop.

In my opinion, the problem is Spoon the Celebrity Player vs. Spoon the CEO Celebrity. Spoon has always been a star. She is larger than life. But she was always the star of a team, and had a coach to keep her focused and in check. The transition from Player to CEO isn't always successful, and has proved challenging over the past couple of seasons at Tech.

From an article in Strategic Management Journal Strat. Mgmt. J., 25: 637–653 (2004) Published online in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com). DOI: 10.1002/smj.405

The more a CEO interacts with others who also accept her celebrity, the more likely she will accept the celebrity attribution as true. In the context that is analyzed here, by deferring to the celebrity CEO, stakeholders may expect greater access to the resources and opportunities that the celebrity CEO can provide. By deferring to the celebrity CEO, however, stake- holders also increase her actual control over the firm, thereby generating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Spoon's only experience as CEO Celebrity is at Tech, and unfortunately for her and at no-fault of her own, the celebrity factor in Ruston is rather low, and that is a serious understatement. Someone of Spoon's celebrity stature rarely makes an appearance in Ruston, much less takes up residence and walks among the commoners. (sarcasm noted and intended)

Spoon's celebrity stature is not enough to land top recruits, build a team, reenergize the fan base, or return the program to relevance. Those are facts. To transition from Player Celebrity to Celebrity CEO of the Techsters, Spoon must embrace others around her whose personalities and credentials shine equally to her own. She does not need to be the star of this team, and the fans who keep thrusting her into that role need to let it go. Her days of being star player are long gone, and with each passing season, her name-ID also diminishes slightly. That is also a fact of this "what have you done for me lately" world. It is time to develop into the CEO of the program, and CEO's do not miss post-game interviews or act like they have something to prove. They prove it rather than acting it. Successful CEO's communicate clearly, stay on message, and share the responsibilities and kudos. For Spoon to transition from Celebrity Player to CEO, and for the program to go from "little school that could" mentality to a power-player deserving of top-40 ranking, it is going to take Spoon showing signs of greatness once again, but this time, as a coach, not a player. This time, she needs to demonstrate her leadership skills by surrounding herself with a strong supporting cast. Not being afraid to let others shine is a true testament to a great leader. We all know what Spoon was able to do on the court in her day. Now, it is time for her to show what she can do off the court. I will admit that I have little faith after watching the past few seasons that this can happen. I admit that and put it into print because I will be glad to eat my own words should she prove me and my opinion wrong. And I hope she does.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Spoon/CEO

Nice analysis. Spoon was hired based on Spoon the 1980s player, not the 2000s Spoon...there is quite a bit of difference between the two, and not all for the better.

The Spoon I see now is much closer to the Spoon who almost got tossed from an NCAA Tournament game for taking a swing at another player (good thing there was no video review back then). For Spoon to be a top-level head coach, she must put the team ahead of herself enough of time so her team can grow individually and as a group. That includes fulfilling all of her obligations as a head coach win or lose. Spoon has set the wrong example far too often, and you can't convince me that the players don't notice that.

If she can't or won't do those things, then she won't become the head coach that we want her to be.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I love TSpoon. And this comment is just really a side note. But one other problem might be that she lives in the same apartment complex as the players I believe. At least this is one thing i heard back during football season from a good source. This way she gets to watch over them and make sure they behave I would guess. But I would assume she could easily become more of a friend to them vs. a head coach this way. I would have loved to see more of a commitment and have her at least rent or buy a home in Ruston. Keep in mind I love her and think she could develop into something very special for Tech as HC.
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 03-18-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Champ bulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

If that is true about living with players than someone should stop that. That is crazy.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

He said that she lives in the same apartment complex as the players not lives with them. I would think that if the administration had an issue with where she lived they would have written into her contract that they were gonna provide her with housing so that they could decide where she should live but that is just my thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogbacker2 View Post
    If that is true about living with players than someone should stop that. That is crazy.

Champ bulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Well i just think she should be mature enough to know that is not good; if it is true.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

but he didnt say she was living with them!!!!!! He said she lives in the same apartment complex he thinks.
    Well i just think she should be mature enough to know that is not good; if it is true.

Well we just disagree on the issue...first we not even sure it is true, but if it is its just unprofessional. Kids dont want to be looking over their shoulder. I see it as perhaps a control issue. I would be shocked if you could find another high school or college coach that would do that.

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    As I have previously stated, I am a fan of Spoon, the personality and the player. I am not a fan of Spoon the coach. Many of her choices have been indefensible this past season, and the perception is that she has no handle on building team chemistry. When Spoon was a player, she led her teams with skill and personality, but she had a coach with experience to focus and motivate her. Spoon's obvious lack of direction and experience as a coach were in large part to blame for the complete breakdown and failure of the team this season. You can argue it all you want, but it doesn't change the facts.

Those who say it doesn't matter because she's coming back next season...well, they are correct, to a degree. She is coming back, and she gets another chance, whether or not I or anyone else agrees or disagrees. So to that point, yes, we need to move on to 2012-2013 and hope that something changes. On the flip side of that argument, the facts of the past few seasons remain in place, and to ignore what is staring back at you in the mirror is to ignore reality. The Techster program cannot afford to ignore the reality that the game and the national scene has passed them by. Spoon needs assistance, she is out of her league as a head coach...in my opinion. That said, with the proper support of more qualified coaches around her, (and being self-assured enough to hire coaches with credentials and not some star-struck former assistants from junior colleges or weak conferences who also lack skills and experience at this level of play), there is the potential for Spoon to develop.

In my opinion, the problem is Spoon the Celebrity Player vs. Spoon the CEO Celebrity. Spoon has always been a star. She is larger than life. But she was always the star of a team, and had a coach to keep her focused and in check. The transition from Player to CEO isn't always successful, and has proved challenging over the past couple of seasons at Tech.

From an article in Strategic Management Journal Strat. Mgmt. J., 25: 637–653 (2004) Published online in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com). DOI: 10.1002/smj.405

The more a CEO interacts with others who also accept
    celebrity, the more likely she will accept the celebrity attribution as true. In the context that is analyzed here, by deferring to the celebrity CEO, stakeholders may expect greater access to the resources and opportunities that the celebrity CEO can provide. By deferring to the celebrity CEO, however, stake- holders also increase her actual control over the firm, thereby generating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Spoon's only experience as CEO Celebrity is at Tech, and unfortunately for her and at no-fault of her own, the celebrity factor in Ruston is rather low, and that is a serious understatement. Someone of Spoon's celebrity stature rarely makes an appearance in Ruston, much less takes up residence and walks among the commoners. (sarcasm noted and intended)

Spoon's celebrity stature is not enough to land top recruits, build a team, reenergize the fan base, or return the program to relevance. Those are facts. To transition from Player Celebrity to Celebrity CEO of the Techsters, Spoon must embrace others around her whose personalities and credentials shine equally to her own. She does not need to be the star of this team, and the fans who keep thrusting her into that role need to let it go. Her days of being star player are long gone, and with each passing season, her name-ID also diminishes slightly. That is also a fact of this "what have you done for me lately" world. It is time to develop into the CEO of the program, and CEO's do not miss post-game interviews or act like they have something to prove. They prove it rather than acting it. Successful CEO's communicate clearly, stay on message, and share the responsibilities and kudos. For Spoon to transition from Celebrity Player to CEO, and for the program to go from "little school that could" mentality to a power-player deserving of top-40 ranking, it is going to take Spoon showing signs of greatness once again, but this time, as a coach, not a player. This time, she needs to demonstrate her leadership skills by surrounding herself with a strong supporting cast. Not being afraid to let others shine is a true testament to a great leader. We all know what Spoon was able to do on the court in her day. Now, it is time for her to show what she can do off the court. I will admit that I have little faith after watching the past few seasons that this can happen. I admit that and put it into print because I will be glad to eat my own words should she prove me and my opinion wrong. And I hope she does.
    ---
    Fan I am pretty sure you know a lot more about WBB than I do and definately "see" a lot more than me...
    But when you have post players that can't even make a lay-up how can you expect to compete in DivisionIWBB?
    You honestly believe that the new in-coming Techsters will not make a difference in the "W,s" and "L's" for next year?
    Just our of curiosity how many girls or boys that score over 30 to 40 points a gaim in high school do bad in Division I ball?
    Myra Moore was an awesome high school player and went on to be a 2 time POY?
    Also, how many incredible players on a team does it take to make an incredibleTeam?
    You don't have to have spectaclure talent to get in the TOP25 these days?
    TSpoon isn't a Saint, but she is one of our own and she's finally getting some great atheletes in the program...
    I hope you guys have a change of heart come the end of the year of the 2012-2013 Season,...
    TSpoon and the Techsters good or bad I will always be a BIG Fan here!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    ---
    Fan I am pretty sure you know a lot more about WBB than I do and definately "see" a lot more than me...
    But when you have post players that can't even make a lay-up how can you expect to compete in DivisionIWBB?
    You honestly believe that the new in-coming Techsters will not make a difference in the "W,s" and "L's" for next year?
    Just our of curiosity how many girls or boys that score over 30 to 40 points a gaim in high school do bad in Division I ball?
    Myra Moore was an awesome high school player and went on to be a 2 time POY?
    Also, how many incredible players on a team does it take to make an incredibleTeam?
    You don't have to have spectaclure talent to get in the TOP25 these days?
    TSpoon isn't a Saint, but she is one of our own and she's finally getting some great atheletes in the program...
    I hope you guys have a change of heart come the end of the year of the 2012-2013 Season,...
    TSpoon and the Techsters good or bad I will always be a BIG Fan here!
    I agree........ I will add that some of these posts are hurting the Techsters a lot more than helping right now. There is a point where things cross over to being ridiculous and we have crossed some lines in this section. I will post this evening or tomorrow (my time is going to be short today and tomorrow. Have some interesting stats for all of you.

Well we just disagree on the issue...first we not even sure it is true, but if it is its just unprofessional. Kids dont want to be looking over their shoulder. I see it as perhaps a control issue. I would be shocked if you could find another high school or college coach that would do that.
    You are correct we don't know if it is true! It really isn't any ones business where she lives though.

That is for her to decide where she lives.
    She could have been living there before the players moved in but that is none of my business because I don't pay her rent where she lives.

That would be the same as me telling my players they can't live on the same street that I live and I coach HS, some have grand parents in my neighborhood and you can bet your butt that they know I live here and that they better be on their best behavior.

Then again my kids know that they are a represent our program no matter where they are nor when they are there they are role models in the community and any thing that will cause a negative light on our program wil not be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I agree........ I will add that some of these posts are hurting the Techsters a lot more than helping right now. There is a point where things cross over to being ridiculous and we have crossed some lines in this section. I will post this evening or tomorrow (my time is going to be short today and tomorrow. Have some interesting stats for all of you.
    Champ, I have the utmost respect for you and always will, but I think that the players are brighter than to read these boards. I would hope so anyway plus if they do they always need to realize this is just frustrated people that love the program. To complain is to care. Always remember that it is when people stop complaining that we are in real trouble. When they stop complaining they have stopped caring.

I have a kid that is looking at Louisiana Tech she leads the country in SF in scoring but will play probably a SG in college. I instructed her to come on this board and read how passionate our fans are. I told her that there is an expectation at Louisiana Tech where just winning isn't enough.

She asked me if I thought she would fit in well there and I told her that she had to grow a tough skin and get ready to be compared to every great shooting guard that has ever went there.

She is the closest thing you will ever see to Sheila Ethridge but she loves to go to take a person off the dribble and does a great job taking contact. She shot 58% from the field this year and 40% from 3 pt range she was 77 - 191 from three point land and is a 4.0 student.

I know for a fact the coaches at least claim they never read this board.

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    Champ, I have the utmost respect for you and always will, but I think that the players are brighter than to read these boards. I would hope so anyway plus if they do they always need to realize this is just frustrated people that love the program. To complain is to care. Always remember that it is when people stop complaining that we are in real trouble. When they stop complaining they have stopped caring.

I have a kid that is looking at Louisiana Tech she leads the country in SF in scoring but will play probably a SG in college. I instructed her to come on this board and read how passionate our fans are. I told her that there is an expectation at Louisiana Tech where just winning isn't enough.

She asked me if I thought she would fit in well there and I told her that she had to grow a tough skin and get ready to be compared to every great shooting guard that has ever went there.

She is the closest thing you will ever see to Sheila Ethridge but she loves to go to take a person off the dribble and does a great job taking contact. She shot 58% from the field this year and 40% from 3 pt range she was 77 - 191 from three point land and is a 4.0 student.
    ---
    Wow, what classification is she now?
    Thanks for pumping up the Techster program as well!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post

That is the way to do it - talk about the passion. It is still there and that is the good news. Players, coaches, and recruits do read this board, though. Someone bright like you can point out the fact that we argue and see things from different angles all due to caring about the program. When a recruit gets nervous about a coach, though, due to some comments, it does not have a good result. A 15 to 17 year old deciding on where to go finds out all the information they can - including browsing all the message boards. Some do it by themselves and could misunderstand some of our passion. It is good to point out what it is about from time to time.

+ Reply to Thread