+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spoon/CEO

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: Spoon/CEO

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    Spoon's obvious lack of direction and experience as a coach were in large part to blame for the complete breakdown and failure of the team this season. You can argue it all you want, but it doesn't change the facts.
    Those are not facts, fan.

They are well-founded, widely-shared opinions. And those can be changed.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I have some stats on recruits that put some things in perspective for me. I think most of us always knew that if we had a few down seasons, it would be tough to rebuild a big powerhouse like we were. We fell on those down seasons and we see the result now. However, even though it is hard to do, I do think we can rebuild. Many blame Long for a lot of our problems now. I always believed that Long was a great X&O coach and Barmore certainly believed in him. I think that he lacked a certain discipline with the players and he had a really tough group left from Budke, though. He, also, lacked emotion and was not able to pump the players up for games and during games. This is my opinion and I certainly supported him, while he was coach, though - until the last year. Even then, I never said anything negative on the open board. I did state that he needed to go in the recruiting section, though, many times.

A person close to the program gave me some information recently. The facts show that it was Budke that had a hard time recruiting quality players. That was the beginning of where we find ourselves now. Not wanting to say something bad about Budke due to the horrible misfortune of his accident, but we all know that most of us were very unhappy with him. Some of us (including me) even felt that he threw the last game in the NCAA tournament due to the OSU interview. It was obvious that Decimen (although never reaching her potential) was dominating in the first half against Temple, but he didn't play her in the second at all.

My friend sent me some stats that showed me the recruiting downfall/break down. To me, it shows that Budke didn't try very hard to get the players that we were used to seeing at Tech. Once that starts, it is hard to recover. These were the same players that refused walked off the court in the last season (the real reason we didn't play in the WNIT that first year that we didn't make the NCAA's).

Here is the breakdown in recruiting between Kurt Budke and Chris Long:

High School Kurt - 5 Chris - 8
    JC Kurt - 6 Chris - 5
    Transfer Kurt - 1 Chris - 1
    Total Kurt - 12 Chris - 14
    All-WAC Honors Kurt -2 Chris - 9
    WAC POY Honors Kurt - 0 Chris - 3
    Completed Eligibility Kurt - 6 of 12 Chris - 11 of 14
    Years of Starters Kurt - 7 Chris - 23

2008 Class -- Chris Long Class #3
    Jasmine Bendolph, HS
    Kiara Young, HS
    De’Angela Sword, HS

2007 Class -- Chris Long Class #2

Adrienne Johnson, HS
    Tarkeisha Wysinger, HS
    Sidney Stewart, HS
    Shordy Mulford, JC
    Keshia Warren, JC
    Whitney Jones, Transfer from Baylor

2006 Class -- Chris Long Class #1
    Shanavia Dowdell, HS
    Tiawana Pringle, HS
    JoKeirra Sneed, JC
    Sierra Nixon, JC
    April Williams, JC

2005 Class -- Kurt Budke Class #3
    Eboni Mangum, HS
    Quantae Thomas, HS

2004 Class -- Kurt Budke Class #2
    Tia Lawson, HS
    Margaret Deciman, JC
    Tashia Combs, JC
    Tosha Christmas, JC
    Amber Metoyer, Transfer from Colorado

2003 Class -- Kurt Budke Class #1
    Shan Moore, HS
    Nastassja Levingston, HS
    Lakiste Barkus, JC
    Tiffany Thompson, JC
    Sarah Johnson, JC

This was all very interesting to see in this format. The recruits that Budke had did not even come close to what Long was able to do. It all seems ashame that Long was promoted and not utilized as an Associate HC with someone like Spoon as the HC. The roles were flipped and that hurt us. If Spoon would have been the HC and had Long breaking down the film and coming up with game plans, we might be in a totally different place right now.

It will be interesting to see what Spoon's recruits will garner. Also, I do give Budke credit for really building something at OSU. He started out like he did here - a LOT of JUCO's and transfers. He, then, started really going after some good HS players and it worked. I think he cared more there than he ever did here, though. Maybe the money and maybe just his home state. Who knows?

I think the way Spoon turned around a program SO quickly with the talent that Long brought in was pretty magical that first half year. We went from 4-4 to 8-0 as soon as she took over. The next year, we continued to do well - not at the level we were used to, but very well. Only Fresno was truly our competitor and kudo's to them for building something there. Wiggins obviously knows how to run a system - their offense is precise.

We had a rough year and we are angry, disappointed, and some are thinking it is all Spoon. Sitting back and looking at her players, though, gives me reason to believe that there is some magic left to be built again. No one has more passion than Spoon - not even KMR or Barmore. She is gaining experience and that is a great thing. I even believe that this year might have been good for her and the young players on the team. We should come out fighting next year - take no prisoners type of approach! I am looking forward to seeing our recruits in action (Spoon's recruits).
    Last edited by champion110; 03-19-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I have some stats on recruits that put some things in perspective for me. I think most of us always knew that if we had a few down seasons, it would be tough to rebuild a big powerhouse like we were. We fell on those down seasons and we see the result now. However, even though it is hard to do, I do think we can rebuild. Many blame Long for a lot of our problems now. I always believed that Long was a great X&O coach and Barmore certainly believed in him. I think that he lacked a certain discipline with the players and he had a really tough group left from Budke, though. He, also, lacked emotion and was not able to pump the players up for games and during games. This is my opinion and I certainly supported him, while he was coach, though - until the last year. Even then, I never said anything negative on the open board. I did state that he needed to go in the recruiting section, though, many times.

A person close to the program gave me some information recently. The facts show that it was Budke that had a hard time recruiting quality players. That was the beginning of where we find ourselves now. Not wanting to say something bad about Budke due to the horrible misfortune of his accident, but we all know that most of us were very unhappy with him. Some of us (including me) even felt that he threw the last game in the NCAA tournament due to the OSU interview. It was obvious that Decimen (although never reaching her potential) was dominating in the first half against Temple, but he didn't play her in the second at all.

My friend sent me some stats that showed me the recruiting downfall/break down. To me, it shows that Budke didn't try very hard to get the players that we were used to seeing at Tech. Once that starts, it is hard to recover. These were the same players that refused walked off the court in the last season (the real reason we didn't play in the WNIT that first year that we didn't make the NCAA's).

Here is the breakdown in recruiting between Budke and Long:
    Kurt Chris
    High School 5 8
    JC 6 5
    Transfer 1 1
    Total 12 14
    All-WAC Honors 2 9
    WAC POY Honors 0 3
    Completed Eligibility 6 of 12 11 of 14
    Years of Starters 7 23

2008 Class -- Chris Long Class #3
    Jasmine Bendolph, HS
    Kiara Young, HS
    De’Angela Sword, HS

2007 Class -- Chris Long Class #2

Adrienne Johnson, HS
    Tarkeisha Wysinger, HS
    Sidney Stewart, HS
    Shordy Mulford, JC
    Keshia Warren, JC
    Whitney Jones, Transfer from Baylor

2006 Class -- Chris Long Class #1
    Shanavia Dowdell, HS
    Tiawana Pringle, HS
    JoKeirra Sneed, JC
    Sierra Nixon, JC
    April Williams, JC

2005 Class -- Kurt Budke Class #3
    Eboni Mangum, HS
    Quantae Thomas, HS

2004 Class -- Kurt Budke Class #2
    Tia Lawson, HS
    Margaret Deciman, JC
    Tashia Combs, JC
    Tosha Christmas, JC
    Amber Metoyer, Transfer from Colorado

2003 Class -- Kurt Budke Class #1
    Shan Moore, HS
    Nastassja Levingston, HS
    Lakiste Barkus, JC
    Tiffany Thompson, JC
    Sarah Johnson, JC

This was all very interesting to see in this format. The recruits that Budke had did not even come close to what Long was able to do. It all seems ashame that Long was promoted and not utilized as an Associate HC with someone like Spoon as the HC. The roles were flipped and that hurt us. If Spoon would have been the HC and had Long breaking down the film and coming up with game plans, we might be in a totally different place right now.

It will be interesting to see what Spoon's recruits will garner. Also, I do give Budke credit for really building something at OSU. He started out like he did here - a LOT of JUCO's and transfers. He, then, started really going after some good HS players and it worked. I think he cared more there than he ever did here, though. Maybe the money and maybe just his home state. Who knows?

I think the way Spoon turned around a program SO quickly with the talent that Long brought in was pretty magical that first half year. We went from 4-4 to 8-0 as soon as she took over. The next year, we continued to do well - not at the level we were used to, but very well. Only Fresno was truly our competitor and kudo's to them for building something there. Wiggins obviously knows how to run system - their offense is precise.

We had a rough year and we are angry, disappointed, and some are thinking it is all Spoon. Sitting back and looking at her players, though, gives me reason to believe that there is some magic left to be built again. No one has more passion that Spoon - not even KMR or Barmore. She is gaining experience and that is a great thing. I even believe that this year might have been good for her and the young players on the team. We should come out fighting next year - take no prisoners type of approach! I am looking forward to seeing our recruits in action (Spoon's recruits).
    Thanks for the recruiting comparison and post in general! I couldn't agree more. Budke sure didn't do us any favors after seeing his recruits above.
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 03-19-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Many blame Long for a lot of our problems now. I always believed that Long was a great X&O coach and Barmore certainly believed in him. I think that he lacked a certain discipline with the players and he had a really tough group left from Budke, though. He, also, lacked emotion and was not able to pump the players up for games and during games. This is my opinion and I certainly supported him, while he was coach, though - until the last year. Even then, I never said anything negative on the open board. I did state that he needed to go in the recruiting section, though, many times.

A person close to the program gave me some information recently. The facts show that it was Budke that had a hard time recruiting quality players. That was the beginning of where we find ourselves now. My friend sent me some stats that showed me the recruiting downfall/break down. To me, it shows that Budke didn't try very hard to get the players that we were used to seeing at Tech. Once that starts, it is hard to recover. These were the same players that refused walked off the court in the last season (the real reason we didn't play in the WNIT that first year that we didn't make the NCAA's).

We had a rough year and we are angry, disappointed, and some are thinking it is all Spoon. Sitting back and looking at her players, though, gives me reason to believe that there is some magic left to be built again. No one has more passion that Spoon - not even KMR or Barmore. She is gaining experience and that is a great thing. I even believe that this year might have been good for her and the young players on the team. We should come out fighting next year - take no prisoners type of approach! I am looking forward to seeing our recruits in action (Spoon's recruits).
    WOW, that breakdown on recruits in your post above is sobering. I wouldn't have realized just how bare and unproductive Budke's recruiting was without seeing it this way.

2012-13 cannot get here soon enough. I expect the energy and effort and consistency of the team to be a stark improvement and begin to look like Louisiana Lady Techsters.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Thanks for the recruiting comparrison and post in general! I couldn't agree more.
    Thanks Ray..... I can't take credit for the stats, but they all come from a reliable source. Most of the other is opinion, but I really believe it tells a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    WOW, that breakdown on recruits in your post above is sobering. I wouldn't have realized just how bare and unproductive Budke's recruiting was without seeing it this way.

2012-13 cannot get here soon enough. I expect the energy and effort and consistency of the team to be a stark improvement and begin to look like Louisiana Lady Techsters.
    It was shocking to see....... Yes, I have no doubts that we are going to come FLYING out of the gates next year! :icon_wink:

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I have no doubts that we are going to come FLYING out of the gates next year! :icon_wink:
    Yeah, but ... didn't you also say that about this year?

Did anyone anticipate the significant step back this season would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Yeah, but ... didn't you also say that about this year?

Did anyone anticipate the significant step back this season would be?
    Yes, I did think we would be MUCH better this year...... I really wasn't trying to explain this year..... I was just stating how hard it is to come back from that. I hope that Spoon's recruits will be what we expect and hope for. There are sure signs that we have some great talent coming in. I, like everyone else, cannot predict what will happen. All I can do is hope that we can have a great year. With the players that we have coming in, we should expect that.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    ---
    Wow, what classification is she now?
    Thanks for pumping up the Techster program as well!
    I have her two more years here and if I don't kill her she will be good. We have a love/hate relationship she hates that I love making her go above and beyond on everything.
    I am excited to see her now that we are getting some kids around her to help her. She is a woman in the mist of girls on the floor with our team but she is making everyone else better.
    I just looked it up and she actually shot 72% from inside the ARC this year that is absolutely insane. She saw every junk defense around but teams won't be able to do that to her next year since we have three more kids that are gonna help us open it up for her. She averaged 24.9 ppg this season.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Thanks for the recruiting comparison and post in general! I couldn't agree more. Budke sure didn't do us any favors after seeing his recruits above.
    WOW is all I can say to those stats, That about SUMS it up, talking about leaving it bare. My heart is heavy with what happened to Kurt and Chris Long no matter what people may say is one of the best coaches ever at Breaking down the x's and o's (if not Leon would not have hired him).
    We can do nothing about that but go forward.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Those are not facts, fan.

They are well-founded, widely-shared opinions. And those can be changed.
    You are correct. The facts stand alone, I don't need to add my opinions to them.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

I am embarrassed for anyone who would go back as far as Budke and lay blame at his feet to avoid facing the current problems faced by the Techster program. Truly embarrassing to stoop so low.

Whether or not I agree with the "stats" provided by "someone on the inside" (which is just oozing with self-importance), how pathetic an attempt to deflect and detract from the conversation. None of Budke's recruits are on the floor. And when they were, they still made the tournament. Spoon's recruits are on the floor. And except for one, most have failed to produce regularly.

Truly a new low and a desperate attempt to prove an invalid point. Defend a program in decline all you want. That is your right and your opinion. Just like you have the right to lay the blame at the feet of a coach who has not been at Tech for 6-7 years and then cling to the "hard to build back from that" b/s.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

I am embarrassed for anyone who would go back as far as Budke and lay blame at his feet to avoid facing the current problems faced by the Techster program. Truly embarrassing to stoop so low.

Whether or not I agree with the "stats" provided by "someone on the inside" (which is just oozing with self-importance), how pathetic an attempt to deflect and detract from the conversation. None of Budke's recruits are on the floor. And when they were, they still made the tournament. Spoon's recruits are on the floor. And except for one, most have failed to produce regularly.

Truly a new low and a desperate attempt to prove an invalid point. Defend a program in decline all you want. That is your right and your opinion. Just like you have the right to lay the blame at the feet of a coach who has not been at Tech for 6-7 years and then cling to the "hard to build back from that" b/s.
    Did you ever join LTAC?

http://www.latechalumni.org/s/810/in...=12&calcid=665

Big Dog exit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really nice exit84's Avatar

Well stated! I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    No.... He does not support Tech athletics. The funny thing is how many people are so quick to jump on his bandwagon. You will notice that he is only here when something goes wrong too. People should stop and look at whom they are in agreement with and are making pals with.

My point was looking at the history and how we got to where we are now. Anyone with sense would be able to see that it didn't change overnight and can't be built back overnight.

+ Reply to Thread