+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Say No to Jindal's New Proposed Education "Reform"

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Say No to Jindal's New Proposed Education "Reform"

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    And that's for just 9 - 9 1/2 months of work right? Hum.....
    Not for the dedicated teachers that I know.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Not for the dedicated teachers that I know.
    BS...

I got two sisters that teach that are as dedicated as any of them out there - one of the primary reasons they teach outside of liking it is the 9 months or so fo work - my guess is its #2 on thier list
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    BS...

I got two sisters that teach that are as dedicated as any of them out there - one of the primary reasons they teach outside of liking it is the 9 months or so fo work - my guess is its #2 on thier list
    So we should make them work the full 12 months and students should go to school 12 months? I couldn't imagine that this change would raise the operating costs, therefor our taxes, very much at all:icon_wink:.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

my wife taught for 20 years before going into special ed, and she had a magnet on the fridge that read..."the three best things about teaching are June, July and August".

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    my wife taught for 20 years before going into special ed, and she had a magnet on the fridge that read..."the three best things about teaching are June, July and August".
    And 6 weeks worth of holidays during the 9 1/2 months of work. My wife loves it too.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    So we should make them work the full 12 months and students should go to school 12 months? I couldn't imagine that this change would raise the operating costs, therefor our taxes, very much at all:icon_wink:.
    Way to misread the comment. I think all that Dwayne is saying is that it should be factored in before we start complaining about how poorly teachers are treated.

I have an aunt that teaches and works as hard as anyone I know including summer school and serving on committees within the school, she is definately under paid for her work. My cousin is just as dedicated to her work and puts in lots of extra hours, but she doesn't usually teach summer school. Having summers off is a big factor for her.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    BS...

Not BS. Just doesn't apply to your two sisters, who I happen to not know. And to clarify, I don't suggest that this is a majority or even a large percentage of teachers. My mom was a teacher for over 20 years, and she certainly doesn't come to mind when I think of dedicated teachers who spend most of their "off" time preparing for their students.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Not BS. Just doesn't apply to your two sisters, who I happen to not know. And to clarify, I don't suggest that this is a majority or even a large percentage of teachers. My mom was a teacher for over 20 years, and she certainly doesn't come to mind when I think of dedicated teachers who spend most of their "off" time preparing for their students.
    Unless they are teaching summer school, I know zero teachers who spend their months at their teaching job.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Unless they are teaching summer school, I know zero teachers who spend their months at their teaching job.
    ok. So you don't know some of the teachers I know. Not surprising considering the number of teachers and how little our individual circles of influence converge. Let me be more clear. I'm also not trying to suggest that these teachers spend ALL of their time off involved in teaching activities or that they work as much as many other non-teaching jobs. I was simply refuting the statement that they ONLY work 9-91/2 months. Heck, I left my teaching/coaching job to make more money and work LESS than I did as a teacher/coach. Even working overtime, I doubt I worked 9 months out of the year and made about 3x what a teacher of 20 years and advanced degree made at the time.

Big Dog localdawg is an unknown

What about this- just my take on the situation. And I am speaking about Jindal's insistence to tie teachers to student test scores. Suppose you are a realtor. You show a house. The house shows well. The buyer is very interested. Interested enough to buy. They do all the planning to buy the home. But at the last moment, their loan is refused and they can't buy the home. Is the realtor at fault? Is he/she a failure because they didn't sale the house? NO! Same with teachers having their job security tied to test scores. You can do your job the best you possibly can and still be hung out to dry in Jindal's plan...

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by localdawg View Post
    What about this- just my take on the situation. And I am speaking about Jindal's insistence to tie teachers to student test scores. Suppose you are a realtor. You show a house. The house shows well. The buyer is very interested. Interested enough to buy. They do all the planning to buy the home. But at the last moment, their loan is refused and they can't buy the home. Is the realtor at fault? Is he/she a failure because they didn't sale the house? NO! Same with teachers having their job security tied to test scores. You can do your job the best you possibly can and still be hung out to dry in Jindal's plan...
    I understand your analogy, but do you see that they wouldn't get paid either?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by localdawg View Post
    I think you just proved the opposite point that you set out to prove. In the real world, people get paid based on their results no matter how much they actually did to achieve the results or how severely the deck is stacked against them. Market economies don't reward people based on effort.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog View Post
    I understand your analogy, but do you see that they wouldn't get paid either?
    Yeah, that doesn't seem like the best analogy.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    In the real world, people get paid based on their results no matter how much they actually did to achieve the results or how severely the deck is stacked against them. Market economies don't reward people based on effort.
    The underlying premise here is that the "real world" is exclusive to market economies. I have serious reservations about defining "real world" in those terms, as if the non-market sectors are somehow detached from reality.

Having said that, (you may not to surprised that) I would also submit that education is a public good,particularly at the K-12 level, and is ill-suited to a market model. This is not to say that best management practices cannot be imported from the private sector, but to expect that market style inputs will yield market style outcomes in K-12 education represents something of a category mistake.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The teacher's unions would have us believe that good teachers are in danger of losing their jobs due to poor test scores. What they aren't saying is that many horrible teachers will no longer be protected by the system the teachers unions have put in place. The current system is much like the democratic party itself which practices the new deal LBJ put in place 40 years ago. Hold back the poor by promising them more w/out having to work for it. That system is thriving today and unions LOVE it.

I happen to know localdawg is a great teacher and has nothing to be concerned about.

+ Reply to Thread