+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Say No to Jindal's New Proposed Education "Reform"

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: Say No to Jindal's New Proposed Education "Reform"

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    They are a "school" in Ruston. Do some research on them and you'll know why it's embarrassing. The term "school" is used very loosely.
    Yeah. I asked a RHS teacher about them and apparently I live right next door to them. I did not know that was a school. No way can they handle an influx of 300+ students at this time, especially with some new education course requirements coming up. They better have some deep pockets somewhere.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

The union is suing to try and block Jindal. No big surprise.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...awsuits_c.html

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Yeah. I asked a RHS teacher about them and apparently I live right next door to them. I did not know that was a school. No way can they handle an influx of 300+ students at this time, especially with some new education course requirements coming up. They better have some deep pockets somewhere.
    When I actually found out what the NLW church was.....I was shocked.

I lived in those apt complexes on Barnett Springs for a while and drove past that church daily.

There's no way they can handle that many students.

It smacks of a scam to expand their church with state dollars. Who approved the vouchers? Does a legislator attend this church?

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    When I actually found out what the NLW church was.....I was shocked.

I lived in those apt complexes on Barnett Springs for a while and drove past that church daily.

There's no way they can handle that many students.

It smacks of a scam to expand their church with state dollars. Who approved the vouchers? Does a legislator attend this church?
    I was told Gallot attends the church, but I've not verified that.

Similar concerns have been raised about several schools around the state. I am not judging the schools; rather I criticize the system that approved them with apparently little investigation.

There's a Christian academy in Zachary whose graduation requirements include a 4-course sequence in spiritual development which, according to their website, provides an "in-debt" coverage of Biblical issues. You can't make this stuff up!

Champ odysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I was told Gallot attends the church, but I've not verified that.

Similar concerns have been raised about several schools around the state. I am not judging the schools; rather I criticize the system that approved them with apparently little investigation.

There's a Christian academy in Zachary whose graduation requirements include a 4-course sequence in spiritual development which, according to their website, provides an "in-debt" coverage of Biblical issues. You can't make this stuff up!
    There really should have been a clause in the bill exempting voucher students from classes like that. The students shouldn't have to jump through those kind of hoops just to receive a quality education.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    There really should have been a clause in the bill exempting voucher students from classes like that. The students shouldn't have to jump through those kind of hoops just to receive a quality education.
    Well, the spirit of the law is that parents have a choice--meaning they do not have to send their children to religion-affiliated schools, so I can see why there is not an exemption. However, I am not sure that giving parents a choice between a really bad education and an education that includes religious instruction is such a great choice for them either.

It just seems that this plan was rammed through without a lot of planning for the execution. Many proponents of the legislation would say a change was better than the status quo. While I would agree the status quo was not working, I would have preferred to see a change to something that is evidence-based and a better plan to screen the private schools.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Well, well, well..........how surprising.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2...voucher-scheme

Well, well, well..........how surprising.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2...voucher-scheme
    When stories like this come out, it's hard to decide which is more stupid: 1) the people who try to get away with such stunts or 2) the fact that they put these things in writing.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    When stories like this come out, it's hard to decide which is more stupid: 1) the people who try to get away with such stunts or 2) the fact that they put these things in writing.
    Yep, and it seems like it's being swept under the rug.

Yep, and it seems like it's being swept under the rug.
    Not being swept under the rug, just not generating a lot of discussion here. Maybe the apologists just can't explain this one away.

http://www.americanpress.com/News-St...-voucher-story

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/component/k...-in-john-white

http://www.nola.com/education/index....damage_co.html

http://dianeravitch.net/2012/07/02/o...to-a-bad-joke/

http://louisianavoice.com/2012/07/02...-fourth-floor/

Champ odysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the rough

Here's another one. Rep. Valerie Hodges needs to reread the first amendment.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/104656/wait%E2%80%94freedom-religion-all-religions

"Valarie Hodges, R-Watson, says she had no idea that Gov. Bobby Jindal’s overhaul of the state’s educational system might mean taxpayer support of Muslim schools … 'I do not support using public funds for teaching Islam anywhere here in Louisiana.' "

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    Here's another one. Rep. Valerie Hodges needs to reread the first amendment.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/104656/wait—freedom-religion-all-religions

"Valarie Hodges, R-Watson, says she had no idea that Gov. Bobby Jindal’s overhaul of the state’s educational system might mean taxpayer support of Muslim schools … 'I do not support using public funds for teaching Islam anywhere here in Louisiana.' "
    Her comments were an embarrassment. Why didn't she know that it could be used in that manner? The entire program is a joke, but what isn't a joke is the taxpayer money that will fund the 300 + kids in Ruston for a school that hasn't been built large enough and can't accommodate them. The kids will not be getting an education- this is insane.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

The Louisiana Legislature = Amateur Hour. LOL. Who are you guys voting for?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    The Louisiana Legislature = Amateur Hour. LOL. Who are you guys voting for?
    For what? I already voted for a democrat over Jindal this past election.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    For what? I already voted for a democrat over Jindal this past election.
    Yeah, but he is not even part of the Legislature. And there may be a lot of things wrong with Jindal, but he is not as clueless as the LA Legislature.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

+ Reply to Thread