+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Say No to Jindal's New Proposed Education "Reform"

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Re: Say No to Jindal's New Proposed Education "Reform"

My problem is with the Performance-based pay.

Yes there are poor-quality teachers that should be replaced. But all things aren't equal.

Teachers who teach in a good school district whose students have competent parents who help them with their school work and actually pay attention to their kids should be rewarded/disciplined if their students show poor performance.

On the other hand, the teachers who teach in the "low socio-economic" schools, have a much tougher time getting their kids to preform well. These kids parents show little to no interest in their kids' school work. They do not help them with homework. Some of these kids' home life are terrible and have an obvious impact on their performance in school.
    These teachers' performance should not be compared to those who are in the better schools with the better students.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

JuBru, it isn't about being well rounded. It is about a quality education. If a test that determines my quality will ask you about x, why would I teach you about y? In this case x is what you need to know in high school and y is what prepares you for college. I am not saying that teachers shouldn't be held accountable in some way. I just don't like the idea of teachers teaching kids how to pass a test instead of teaching them stuff they really need. And if you don't know there is a difference then you fall into 1 of 2 categories if not both. A- you were in honors classes in high school or B- you haven't been in a school since high school. And honestly there is nothing wrong with either other than the fact that you don't know the full picture on how kids are.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Stop Gov. Jindal’s anti-public education, anti-teacher agenda:

Tell your Senator and Representative to vote NO on these bills:

HB 974 and SB 603, and HB 976 and SB 597

First step: Click here and send an e-mail message to your Senator and Representative, telling them about your opposition to the bills.

By now you know how educators were disrespected at the State Capitol on March 14 and 15. Thousands were turned away at the door while the House and Senate Education Committees marched almost lockstep to approve the Jindal agenda. The few lawmakers who stood with us were railroaded by the most extreme display of executive overreach since Huey Long.

It’s important for the rest of the Legislature to hear from the voters before these bills become law. They have the potential to destroy public education and our profession.

Here are 3 things you can do right now to help derail Gov. Jindal’s train before public education and the teaching profession are damaged beyond repair.
    1. Click here and send an e-mail message to your Senator and Representative, telling them about your opposition to the bills.

2. Call your Senator and Representative

Your Senator’s contact information is here, and your Representative's information is here. If you don’t know who they are, click here to find out.
    Using the information listed below, explain to them that you are a voter in their district and you oppose these bills.

3. Forward this e-mail to everyone in your address book – legislators need to hear from as many people as possible!

Here’s what is at stake with these bills:

HB 974/SB 603: Attacks on the teaching profession

If these bills pass, virtually all personnel decisions will be based on the controversial new ‘Value Added Model” of teacher evaluation.
    • There will never be another across-the-board pay raise, and no more salary schedule for new teachers.
    • Local superintendents will decide how much each teacher and school employee will earn, largely based on evaluations.
    • Any teacher who receives an ”ineffective” rating even once will be ineligible for pay raises, will lose tenure rights and will be considered an “at will” employee who can be fired immediately.
    • Teachers will have to be rated “highly effective” for five straight years to earn tenure. The architect of Gov. Jindal’s Value Added evaluation program says that is nearly impossible to do.
    • In dismissal proceedings, teachers have no right to a list of specific charges, may not appeal to the school board, and have only 60 days to lodge an appeal, instead of the current one-year limitation. Language requiring teachers to be found guilty is removed.
    HB 976/SB 597: The destruction of public education

These bills will use the funding process to virtually abolish public education. Your tax dollars will be spent on private and religious schools, virtual schools, home schools and charter schools created by corporations, businesses and industry providers.
    • These bills violate the State Constitution, which says that Minimum Foundation Program funds can only be used for “public elementary and secondary schools.”
    • Tax money approved by voters for local salaries, construction and maintenance will go to these schools, even if the schools are in a different city or parish.
    • The only requirement to teach in these schools will be a Bachelor’s degree – no certification will be necessary.
    • The only fiscal oversight for these new charter schools is an annual report to the unelected charter authorizer, not to BESE or the local school board.
    • Online teachers from anywhere in the world will automatically be certified as Louisiana teachers. These online teachers will NOT be subject to Louisiana teacher evaluations or accountability.
    Click here and send an e-mail message to your Senator and Representative, telling them about your opposition to the bills.

Shreveport, LA. 71101
    318-424-4579

If you did not subscribe, or would no longer like to receive email updates unsubscribe here.
    Paid for by the American Federation of Teachers

I agree 100%. If people understood how little Bobby Jindal and his cronies on the BESE board know about public education, they would throw up. It's ridiculous, and that includes our local BESE members. They are clueless. Again, you have people that have never been associated with public school education, in any form or fashion, thinking they know what's best. I'm not against the tenure stuff, but the vouchers and merit pay bs is crazy.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LaTech11 View Post
    JuBru, it isn't about being well rounded. It is about a quality education. If a test that determines my quality will ask you about x, why would I teach you about y? In this case x is what you need to know in high school and y is what prepares you for college. I am not saying that teachers shouldn't be held accountable in some way. I just don't like the idea of teachers teaching kids how to pass a test instead of teaching them stuff they really need. And if you don't know there is a difference then you fall into 1 of 2 categories if not both. A- you were in honors classes in high school or B- you haven't been in a school since high school. And honestly there is nothing wrong with either other than the fact that you don't know the full picture on how kids are.
    I graduated high school in 2003 and finally university this past December.

Quality education is about knowing a few things really well and not everything kinda okay. You can't have a quality education while a well-rounded education is the system being taught. From the high school level on, there is no need for a well-rounded education. But, that is the system. And because that is the system, you will have test and rankings determining what will be taught.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    The Gov't Education "lobby" is sickening to me. I have been paying for 2 education systems for years...the failing, secular, "I've Got My Tenure" system that I have no choice but to pay taxes to fund, and then the one my wife and I CHOSE for our boys.

I wish I could pay into a "Louisiana Education Savings Account" and then draw out what I've paid into it once a year in the form of a voucher, that my wife and I could redeem at any school we choose. Montessori, Private/Independent, secular/parish system or a church/religious/parochial school.

Competition works in every single industry. It should work in Education also.
    I hope the voucher system doesn't go through- or at least if it does our school does not participate. I want the govt. out of our school so they can't screw it up. If vouchers are accepted they will ruin the private schools by trying to standardize them too and water down the education.

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

The unions are the problems. Look at the teachers representing the unions, the ones on tenure who no longer have to be held accountable and are just waiting until retirement

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Without really getting into the content of the bill, I just don't understand why, if this is so important, it waited until now. Did Jindal just figure out that there's a public education crisis in Louisiana? Of course, I do understand why now--it's all political and that's kind of sickening. To think that he runs around saying he is here to save "the children" when he did nothing to save them for four years. Despicable.

On another note, if his plan is so great, why can't they slow it down just a bit and allow for public comment/debate? Is there evidence his plan will work?

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

These new laws would truly make any prospective education major think twice before entering that field. I truly believe that it would further the shortage of teachers that we have now. We're already bringing in teachers from foreign countries just to try to fill the voids in the La Public System now. T
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Without really getting into the content of the bill, I just don't understand why, if this is so important, it waited until now. Did Jindal just figure out that there's a public education crisis in Louisiana? Of course, I do understand why now--it's all political and that's kind of sickening. To think that he runs around saying he is here to save "the children" when he did nothing to save them for four years. Despicable.

On another note, if his plan is so great, why can't they slow it down just a bit and allow for public comment/debate? Is there evidence his plan will work?
    Is there evidence the current system works? Slowing down and debating is exactly the plan that for so many years has resulted in NO CHANGE. I have no doubt that when implemented the plan's flaws will be obvious and require change. But adopting a flawed plan and making changes is far better than no change and waiting to produce a "better" plan will also produce no change. It's time (far past time) to act.

Varsity Bulldog Lazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of light Lazarus_KKY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    My problem is with the Performance-based pay.

Yes there are poor-quality teachers that should be replaced. But all things aren't equal.

Teachers who teach in a good school district whose students have competent parents who help them with their school work and actually pay attention to their kids should be rewarded/disciplined if their students show poor performance.

On the other hand, the teachers who teach in the "low socio-economic" schools, have a much tougher time getting their kids to preform well. These kids parents show little to no interest in their kids' school work. They do not help them with homework. Some of these kids' home life are terrible and have an obvious impact on their performance in school.
    These teachers' performance should not be compared to those who are in the better schools with the better students.
    You hit the nail on the head. We live in society now were most parents expect the school system to teach and raise their children for them. For children to learn they need reinforcement from home and parents to take an interest in their children.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    Is there evidence the current system works? Slowing down and debating is exactly the plan that for so many years has resulted in NO CHANGE. I have no doubt that when implemented the plan's flaws will be obvious and require change. But adopting a flawed plan and making changes is far better than no change and waiting to produce a "better" plan will also produce no change. It's time (far past time) to act.
    Obviously, there is evidence the current system does not work. But, that doesn't mean that something "different" is necessarily "better." Change for the sake of change is not the answer. It is, indeed, time to act. I am just asking whether there is an evidence-based approach that would be better.

Varsity Bulldog Lazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of light Lazarus_KKY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Obviously, there is evidence the current system does not work. But, that doesn't mean that something "different" is necessarily "better." Change for the sake of change is not the answer. It is, indeed, time to act. I am just asking whether there is an evidence-based approach that would be better.
    I agree. Now if Jindal had some statistics or another state that has his system in place to compare to then I wouldn't worry much about this legislation. Something to show that this system has worked for another states school system. There is always the chance that this has the reverse effect that he is anticipating.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

All arguments aside if this passes you will see a new system for sure:a teacher strike that will absolutely cripple the public school system. No BS-it will happen.They've already shown that by the protest the other day. There aren't enough teachers as it is-there isn't enough funding as it is-and now the state is basically going to snub the teacher's union? Anybody else see a happy ending? You can't simply hire more to take their places! The state has no play on this one.
    BTW: My wife got teacher of the year at CSH here in Shreveport this year and was a finalist for Caddo Parish Teacher Of The Year. I'm very proud of her and her coworkers who work so very hard in the system and I assure you the vast majority of the teachers; union or not; are very against this. I'm going to stick with their opinions on this one.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    These new laws would truly make any prospective education major think twice before entering that field. I truly believe that it would further the shortage of teachers that we have now. We're already bringing in teachers from foreign countries just to try to fill the voids in the La Public System now. T
    I hear that we are bringing in teachers, but I personally know of lots of teachers that are trying to get jobs and they were cutting schools- and as a result teachers. There is no shortage. I know this is not Jindal trying to do something that is good or right- he is not that kind of guy. But, no one should have a lifetime job unless they are still functioning in it. Each of us involved with any school can probably tell you of at least 1 teacher that retired on the job many years ago but they can't get rid of them. I agree with the part you are upset about- but I agree with very little else he does. And the debate and discussion should be allowed. Instead Jindal only wants to let you in if you agree with him and wants to keep everyone else quiet. I do think he will get this through with his threats and scare tactics.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

I was a professor at Tech, my mother is a public school teacher, and my girlfriend is a public school teacher each in non-union districts.

We all agree that the only thing that doesn't fly in these bills are the charter school provisions.

Tell me again why K-12 teachers need tenure?

I honestly think this whole thing would be no deal if they got rid of tenure altogether.

+ Reply to Thread