+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/27 Northwestern State at LA Tech

Champ techblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to behold

Baseball 3/27 Northwestern State at LA Tech

Northwestern State (10-12) at Louisiana Tech (11-12)

Tuesday, March 27 • 6:00 PM CT

J.C. Love Field at Pat Patterson ParkRuston, Louisiana

Weather
    81°F • Partly Cloudy • Precip: 10%

Media Information
    Audio:
    LA Tech All-Access, ESPN 97.7 FM
    Video: LA Tech All-Access
    Live Stats: GameTracker
    Twitter Updates: @LATechKQueliz

Team Information
    Coaches: J.P. Davis, Wade Simoneaux
    Rosters: NSU, LaTech
    Statistics: NSU, LaTech
    Schedules: NSU, LaTech
    News: NSU, LaTech
    Media Guides: NSU, LaTech
    Game Notes: NSU, LaTech

Starting Pitchers
    Louisiana Tech: LHP Chris Sadberry, R-Fr. (2-1, 6.94 ERA, 11.2 IP, 8 BB, 10 K)
    Northwestern State: LHP Jacob Williford, Jr. (0-1, 9.53 ERA, 17.0 IP, 7 BB, 11 K)

Champ techblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to behold

Re: 3/27 Northwestern State at LA Tech

I got bored and figured I would help you out getting this one started Dawg06. Hope I got it right.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techblue4 View Post
    I got bored and figured I would help you out getting this one started Dawg06. Hope I got it right.
    Nice! Thanks!

Only problem is that you still have the Dallas Baptist games linked for All-Access and GameTracker. This game isn't being broadcast on ESPN 97.7 either.

Radio: 100.7 FM (Natchitoches)
    Free Audio from NWST All-Access: http://www.nsudemons.com/showcase/#liveevents
    LA Tech All-Access: http://www.latechsports.com/allaccess/?media=303184
    GameTracker: http://www.latechsports.com/gametrac...&startschool=&

Jerit Roser, The Monroe News-Star: Bulldogs look forward to in-state rivals

PWalsh- The PA guy and stadium music are completely drowning you out. Can't really hear you.

LaTech Lineup (24th different lineup in 24 games)
    1. Gandy (LF)
    2. Gebhardt (SS)
    3. Williams (1B)
    4. Kimbell (DH)
    5. Hedges (2B)
    6. Derouen (C)
    7. Gordey (CF)
    8. Burch (RF)
    9. Bayliss (3B)

Go Dawgs!
    Last edited by Dawg06; 03-27-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Top 1st
    3 up, 3 down.

Bottom 1st
    Gandy strikes out.
    Gebhardy doubles.
    Williams strikes out.
    Kimbell walks.
    Hedges hits an RBI double! Gebhardt scores, but Kimbell gets thrown out at home. 1-0 Dawgs

Top 2nd
    3 up, 3 down.

Bottom 2nd
    Derouen singles.
    Gordey fails to get a bunt down..... Can we please stop this crap? Small ball is counterproductive... especially when we can't execute it. Please put someone in CF who can get on base!
    Burch singles.
    Bayliss singles.
    Gandy walks! Derouen scores! 2-0 Dawgs
    Gebhardt hits an RBI sac fly to score Burch! 3-0 Dawgs
    Williams hits an RBI single to score Bayliss! 4-0 Dawgs
    Good AB but Kimbell grounds out.

Top 3rd
    Strikeout
    Walk
    Single
    Strikeout
    RBI single. 4-1 Dawgs
    Walk, bases loaded, 2 outs
    Pitching change: Maton in for Sadberry
    Strikeout!

Bottom 3rd
    Hedges grounds out.
    Derouen singles.
    Gordey flies out.
    Burch flies out.

Top 5th
    Single
    Sac bunt
    Ground out
    HBP
    Ground out
    NWST successfully advanced the runner by giving up an out with a sac bunt, and they failed to score.

Final
    LaTech 8, NWST 2

How bout them Dawgs!
    Last edited by Dawg06; 03-27-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Gordey fails to get a sac bunt down..... Can we please stop this crap??? Small ball is counterproductive... especially when we can't execute it! Please put someone in CF who can get on base!
    Any kind of ball (small, medium, long) is not productive when it is not properly executed.

You've yet to present evidence that small ball is counterproductive. Your effort to establish that was the expected runs table where you stated the expected runs went down after a "sacrifice" bunt. That is true if an out is made. However, as I've said before, small ball does not always mean that you bunt for an out. Many times both the batter and the runner are safe and then the expected runs is higher. You've never factored in this possibility.

Keep trying, but you have not proven to me that small ball is counterproductive. It is still just your opinion. My opinion remains that properly executed small ball will provide this team with more runs. I'm considering our lack of power, the "deader" bats, and our team speed. However, to get wins, we must also get good pitching and improve our defense.

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    Any kind of ball (small, medium, long) is not productive when it is not properly executed.

You've yet to present evidence that small ball is counterproductive. Your effort to establish that was the expected runs table where you stated the expected runs went down after a "sacrifice" bunt. That is true if an out is made. However, as I've said before, small ball does not always mean that you bunt for an out. Many times both the batter and the runner are safe and then the expected runs is higher. You've never factored in this possibility.

Keep trying, but you have not proven to me that small ball is counterproductive. It is still just your opinion. My opinion remains that properly executed small ball will provide this team with more runs. I'm considering our lack of power, the "deader" bats, and our team speed. However, to get wins, we must also get good pitching and improve our defense.
    Yes, I have. You've just ignored it.

And it's not my opinion. It's a conclusion drawn from real data.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Your data comes from major league baseball where the infielders are significantly better than the college infielders.

Your data comes from major league baseball where the infielders are significantly better than the college infielders.
    No, it doesn't. My data comes from Boyd's World college baseball site. However, it is the same game, and the same general relationships hold true in the MLB only with slightly different numbers.

I'll go back and re-read other threads tomorrow to see if your "proof" establishes that small ball is counterproductive. I don't recall that you did prove it. I know the "proof" has not convinced me, but I'll admit that I've always been a fan of small ball.

It appears to me that only 3 of us are involved in the debate about small ball - me, you, and maddawg. Others have remained mostly silent. The cheers that Taylor Burch got for his two sacrifice bunts in the 2-1 win against Dallas Baptist win indicated to me that others appreciate small ball. I'd like to hear the opinions of others.

As far as the other issues you bring up about TECH baseball, I agree. Our area of disagreement is the small ball issue.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

If you have a strong pitching staff, and if you execute small ball properly, then I am a proponent of it. You never know when a single run will be the difference in a game.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Varsity Bulldog sportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the rough sportsguylatech's Avatar

depends on the situation to me.. 0-0 game early on.. get a guy in scoring position to possibly get on the scoreboard first.. always easier to play with a lead.. also if you're ahead go ahead and use it to get another run on the board.. if you're behind, esp by a lot then i'm not a fan.. hit away, you don't need to waste outs in that situation.. tie game late in the game well then thats just preference.. how is your pitcher doing? do you really want to give up an out in that situation.. who do you have coming up behind the sacrafice and how have they hit that day.. so many variables can go into it in that type of situation. I don't think you should ever sacrafice with 1 out, only with 0 outs because then you're just allowing the defense a chance to get out of the inning

I'll go back and re-read other threads tomorrow to see if your "proof" establishes that small ball is counterproductive. I don't recall that you did prove it. I know the "proof" has not convinced me, but I'll admit that I've always been a fan of small ball.

It appears to me that only 3 of us are involved in the debate about small ball - me, you, and maddawg. Others have remained mostly silent. The cheers that Taylor Burch got for his two sacrifice bunts in the 2-1 win against Dallas Baptist win indicated to me that others appreciate small ball. I'd like to hear the opinions of others.

As far as the other issues you bring up about TECH baseball, I agree. Our area of disagreement is the small ball issue.
    Let me try again.

My Philosophy: Outs are a very valuable, scarce resource. Offenses should never voluntarily give away outs unless it helps them score more runs. Managers should put their players in the best situation to score the most runs because runs win games. The goal for each hitter should be to get on base without recording an out. This is what OBP measures and why it is the most important statistic. It's also why I think Austin Hedges should be our lead-off hitter. Hitting him 5th instead of 1st costs him about 3 at-bats per week. And it's why I think Alvis should be our starting CF and why I think Kimbell and Neel should split infield duties at 3B (or Neel at 2B with Hedges at 3B).

Derived from Boyd's World Expected Runs Table for NCAA Division I Baseball from 2005-2008
    Outs
    Runners
    Expected
    At least 1 run
    Expected after bunt success
    At least 1 run after bunt success
    0 1st 1.10 runs
    52%
    0.84 runs
    48%
    1 1st 0.65 runs
    34%
    0.39 runs
    27%
    0 2nd 1.39 runs
    69%
    1.08 runs
    70%
    1 2nd 0.84 runs
    48%
    0.44 runs
    31%
    0 1st & 2nd 1.83 runs
    72%
    1.59 runs
    75%
    1 1st & 2nd 1.16 runs
    51%
    0.73 runs
    35%
    According to the data, the only situations in which bunting makes sense are:
    - No outs with a runner on 2nd
    - No outs with runners on 1st and 2nd
    BUT only if the game situation dictates that you will only need 1 run because the expected runs for the inning goes down. Basically the only situation bunting becomes beneficial is late in a game when the game is tied or facing a 1-run deficit, and if you don't trust your pitcher(s), then it the only time you should sac bunt is in the bottom of the 9th. The coach should also be very confident that the bunter can get the bunt down. Even in those situations, the benefit of bunting is extremely small (1% and 3%). It is also important to note that those two best case bunting situations decrease the team's expected runs by about a quarter of a run (0.31 runs and 0.24 runs). I have said that I would consider bunting against a dominant pitcher and with poor hitters who can get a bunt down, and I think the safety squeeze can be beneficial if your guy at the plate can bunt.

Moreover, those numbers only hold true if the sac bunt is successful. There is no way for me to know this without analyzing the video of every one of our games, but I'd venture to guess that Tech's successful sac bunt percentage is less than 50%. Our team on-base percentage without recording an out is currently .377 (errors by the defense count against this number as if an out was recorded). This is my counter to your assertion that I haven't addressed the situation in which a sac bunter gets on base. As I said a couple times before, a hitter swinging away has a better chance to get on base without creating an out than someone who is sac bunting, and swinging away gives the hitter a better opportunity to advance themselves past 1st base than someone who is sac bunting. It's that simple. You also brought up that bunting puts pressure on the defense which causes them to make some errors. Well so does hitting away! Any time you put the ball in play the defense has the potential to make an error. That is irrelevant.

Moreover, this analysis slightly depresses the differences in any particular situational perspective. For instance, the runner on 1st with no outs stats include the runner on 2nd with 1 out situations caused by sac bunts, and from the data we know that the latter situation scores fewer runs than the former situation. Basically if there were fewer sac bunts, we would see the situational scoring gaps grow larger.

This data also shows us that in general attempting to steal bases is also detrimental to scoring runs, and the data also shows supports the conventional wisdom to never make the 1st or 3rd out at 3rd base. From this table, I can show you why Corey White should be our only player allowed to steal. I'll save those discussions for later in the season.

BTW I think fans appreciate winning more than they appreciate successful sac bunting. The ovation for Burch may have had a hint of sarcasm for some as a reaction to our inability to get a bunt down. Kinda like the ovation a basketball ref gets after he finally calls the 1st team foul on the other team 10 minutes into the half after they've charged your team with several fouls. Anyway, our guys also get nice ovations for home runs. FYI we tried 3 bunts in that DBU game. Two were successful, and only 1 eventually led to only 1 run. We gave up 3 precious outs for 1 run that we most likely would have scored anyway (and likely would have scored even more by swinging away). We just got lucky that DBU only scored 1 run. Regardless, the fans' ovation and appreciation of anything but wins should be irrelevant.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 03-28-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Jason Pugh, The Shreveport Times: Tech cruises past Northwestern State

Colin McElroy, KSLA 12: Louisiana Tech downs Northwestern St
    Last edited by Dawg06; 03-28-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Let me try again.

My Philosophy: Outs are a very valuable, scarce resource. Offenses should never voluntarily give away outs unless it helps them score more runs. Managers should put their players in the best situation to score the most runs because runs win games. The goal for each hitter should be to get on base without recording an out. This is what OBP measures and why it is the most important statistic. It's also why I think Austin Hedges should be our lead-off hitter. Hitting him 5th instead of 1st costs him about 3 at-bats per week. And it's why I think Alvis should be our starting CF and why I think Kimbell and Neel should split infield duties at 3B (or Neel at 2B with Hedges at 3B).

Derived from Boyd's World Expected Runs Table for NCAA Division I Baseball from 2005-2008
    Outs
    Runners
    Expected
    At least 1 run
    Expected after bunt success
    At least 1 run after bunt success
    1st 1.10 runs
    52%
    0.84 runs
    48%
    1 1st 0.65 runs
    34%
    0.39 runs
    27%
    2nd 1.39 runs
    69%
    1.08 runs
    70%
    1 2nd 0.84 runs
    48%
    0.44 runs
    31%
    1st & 2nd 1.83 runs
    72%
    1.59 runs
    75%
    1 1st & 2nd 1.16 runs
    51%
    0.73 runs
    35%

According to the data, the only situations in which bunting makes sense are:
    - No outs with a runner on 2nd
    - No outs with runners on 1st and 2nd
    BUT only if the game situation dictates that you will only need 1 run because the expected runs for the inning goes down. Basically the only situation bunting becomes beneficial is late in a game when the game is tied or facing a 1-run deficit, and if you don't trust your pitcher(s), then it the only time you should sac bunt is in the bottom of the 9th. The coach should also be very confident that the bunter can get the bunt down. Even in those situations, the benefit of bunting is extremely small (1% and 3%). It is also important to note that those two best case bunting situations decrease the team's expected runs by about a quarter of a run (0.31 runs and 0.24 runs). I have said that I would consider bunting against a dominant pitcher and with poor hitters who can get a bunt down, and I think the safety squeeze can be beneficial if your guy at the plate can bunt.

Moreover, those numbers only hold true if the sac bunt is successful. There is no way for me to know this without analyzing the video of every one of our games, but I'd venture to guess that Tech's successful sac bunt percentage is less than 50%. Our team on-base percentage without recording an out is currently .377 (errors by the defense count against this number as if an out was recorded). This is my counter to your assertion that I haven't addressed the situation in which a sac bunter gets on base. As I said a couple times before, a hitter swinging away has a better chance to get on base without creating an out than someone who is sac bunting, and swinging away gives the hitter a better opportunity to advance themselves past 1st base than someone who is sac bunting. It's that simple. You also brought up that bunting puts pressure on the defense which causes them to make some errors. Well so does hitting away! Any time you put the ball in play the defense has the potential to make an error. That is irrelevant.

Moreover, this analysis slightly depresses the differences in any particular situational perspective. For instance, the runner on 1st with no outs stats include the runner on 2nd with 1 out situations caused by sac bunts, and from the data we know that the latter situation scores fewer runs than the former situation. Basically if there were fewer sac bunts, we would see the situational scoring gaps grow larger.

This data also shows us that in general attempting to steal bases is also detrimental to scoring runs, and the data also shows supports the conventional wisdom to never make the 1st or 3rd out at 3rd base. From this table, I can show you why Corey White should be our only player allowed to steal. I'll save those discussions for later in the season.

BTW I think fans appreciate winning more than they appreciate successful sac bunting. The ovation for Burch may have had a hint of sarcasm for some as a reaction to our inability to get a bunt down. Kinda like the ovation a basketball ref gets after he finally calls the 1st team foul on the other team 10 minutes into the half after they've charged your team with several fouls. Anyway, our guys also get nice ovations for home runs. FYI we tried 3 bunts in that DBU game. Two were successful, and only 1 eventually led to only 1 run. We gave up 3 precious outs for 1 run that we most likely would have scored anyway (and likely would have scored even more by swinging away). We just got lucky that DBU only scored 1 run. Regardless, the fans' ovation and appreciation of anything but wins should be irrelevant.
    I totally agree with Dawg06...outs are scarce...now I do believe in bunting in dixie youth when you have 2 overweight boys playing the corners....I have bunted my top 4 hitters b/c they were playing so far back and they were fat...thats little league...college and pro are apples and oranges different. I do thik it is a skill that is learned AND must be practiced daily to be good at it...I believe there are situations when it is good, but the bunt must exceuted properly, meaning, the hitters MUST know how to bunt....
    Last edited by Rooster; 03-28-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Yippee!

+ Reply to Thread