+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardening

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Gardening

Heads-Up to you fellow gardeners. This past winter was so mild that the bugs are absolutely tearing-up our new garden! Caterpillars whiteflies, crickets, grasshoppers and aphids. It is almost apocalyptic with the amount and ferocity this season. It's also astounding how bad they are on everything we've got...tomatoes, potatos, onions, garlic. You name it they're tearing it up. I think my "organic" garden is going to go "nuclear" on their ass soon!
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Re: Gardening

How's the garden looking market?

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

http://www.flickr.com/photos/biglews...7629986904615/

Just harvested 7 sacks Red LaSoda potatoes and one sack Yukon Golds. Scroll through the photostream to check-out the rest of the garden. Just planted the lower pea-patch with 2- 100 ft rows of Pinkeye Purplehulls and 2- 100 ft rows of Blackeyes. I had to throw in a row of "Zipper Cream" (the ultimate TWSS but they are a real southern pea). Also have 2-100 ft rows peanuts, 70 assorted tomato plants, squash, cukes and a little bit of evrything else. Just got the last rows and irrigation in. Set-Up the solar 'lectric fence and put-up the "rabbit" wire fence. We also plant marigolds, wildflowers and giant sunflowers to attract the good bugs and repel the bad. We plant one marigold between every two tomatoes and plant one giant sunflower directly beside each tomato to shade it during the hottest time of the day. We found that this gets us a few more weeks of production from the tomatoes during the hottest summer months. It's been a hell of a couple of days in the garden! I also have a pretty cool garden behind my store in Shreveport.
    Last edited by marketdawg; 05-07-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Kinda neat that this garden goes year-round. Greens/onions/garlic/radishes/carrots/turnips in the winter and start with potatoes in the early Spring and keep on trucking.
    Here's a pic from the same spot this past duck season when we were picking greens every weekend...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/biglews...57628991022349

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

only bug problem i've had so far has been stink bugs sucking the life out of my tomatoes. i think i took care of them, though. of course, i've got nothing on the scale of what you've got -- just a couple of plants.

my jalapeno, habenero, and bell pepper plants survived the winter and i've got a decent harvest off of them already (got a bunch of pigmy peppers over the winter, too).

if the number of early blooms are any indication, i'm soon going to be up to my neck in cucumbers. anyone got any good icebox pickle recipes?

Those aren't stink bugs but squash bugs. They are a royal pain in the ass once you get them. Start looking at the undsersides of your cucumber plant leaves and if you see bunches of little rose colored egg clusters on the undersides of the leaves where they meet the stems then I wouldn't worry about any recipes...
    http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/cucs/squabug.htm

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Those aren't stink bugs but squash bugs. They are a royal pain in the ass once you get them. Start looking at the undsersides of your cucumber plant leaves and if you see bunches of little rose colored egg clusters on the undersides of the leaves where they meet the stems then I wouldn't worry about any recipes...
    http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/cucs/squabug.htm
    not squash bugs. tiny red stink bug nymphs (also called leaf-footed bugs). killed them all individually. haven't seen any adults.

as for the cukes, i've already got one about the size of my foot that went into a pickle jar yesterday.

BTW: Our garden is in the country between Longsteet, La and Grand Cane. Looks like a couple of the kids in town decided to rename the town. We laughed our butts off and had to stop and take a pic....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/biglews...57629986904615

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i'm soon going to be up to my neck in cucumbers. anyone got any good icebox pickle recipes?
    http://www.amazon.com/Good-Eats-The-.../dp/1584797959

It has a pickle recipe or two. I have no idea how they are, but you'd like this anyway.

Puppy olliel is an unknown

I personally love gardening and I also have a huge garden at home with lots of different flowers and plants. Additionally I also have a bed with lots of herbs. At the moment I am planning some more plants in my garden and due to this I will check outdoor serenata plants. Hopefully I will soon have many more fantastic plants in my garden.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Kinda neat that this garden goes year-round. Greens/onions/garlic/radishes/carrots/turnips in the winter and start with potatoes in the early Spring and keep on trucking.
    Here's a pic from the same spot this past duck season when we were picking greens every weekend...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/biglews...57628991022349
    I loooked at all the pix in that link. You messed up in one of them... you forgot the can.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

So far I have gotten a few bell peppers, some squash, zucchini and a few maters...

Noticed I had some littl eokra pods yesterday

Not bad for a space that is only about 5' x 30' and basically 2 rows
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Update: Garden is rocking. Spent most of the weekend at Lake Claiborne fishing/skiing/tubing/fish frying and spent this afternoon planting our dove field and tending to the veggies. One heck of a good weekend!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/biglews...7629986904615/

BTW: These pics are a couple weeks old so the biggest sunflowers I've ever seen are even bigger. Truly unbelievable!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/biglews...57629986904615

Taters are in...3- 70+ foot rows with some lettuce, radishes, carrots, and green onions for good measure. Beautiful day in the great outdoors!
    taters 001.jpg

+ Reply to Thread