+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Easter all about?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

What's Easter all about?

I ask this because it seems to be one of those holidays that secular culture doesn't really know what to do with. Eggs and bunnies are far more palatable than penal substitutionary atonement.

Do you make an effort to explain the "true" meaning of Easter to your kids? If so, how? My daughter is about to turn 4 and I'm interested in how other parents deal with the "secularization" of holidays.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Re: What's Easter all about?

I tie in Spring with Easter. Even though everything dies in the Winter, God shows us through Spring that everything can come to life again after death... and it's natural, not supernatural. Then I explain that Jesus was God's example to us that we too come back to life after our death. Jesus died and was buried and on the 3rd day, he rose again and spent 40 days on Earth and he is proof that we will live after we die.... for Jesus still lives and his tomb is empty.

Then I tell them even the pagans saw re-birth in nature and they celebrate this with rabbits and eggs.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

"He is risen!"

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

He is risen indeed!

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

The way I see it, and the way I try to explain it to my two boys, is that this is a celebration of Jesus being risen from the dead. I don't try to take away the commercialization of Easter just yet as they are 5 and 4 years old. It gives them something to look forward to as they are too young to fully grasp the concept. The have been introduced to our beliefs and can tell you that Jesus rose from the dead on Easter, however I don't expect them to fully grasp the belief until they are older. But the candy and gifts are something that they can get excited about that will eventually transfer over to the real reason for the celebration.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog View Post
    The way I see it, and the way I try to explain it to my two boys, is that this is a celebration of Jesus being risen from the dead. I don't try to take away the commercialization of Easter just yet as they are 5 and 4 years old. It gives them something to look forward to as they are too young to fully grasp the concept. The have been introduced to our beliefs and can tell you that Jesus rose from the dead on Easter, however I don't expect them to fully grasp the belief until they are older. But the candy and gifts are something that they can get excited about that will eventually transfer over to the real reason for the celebration.
    Kinda like Christmas. Teach the children the real reason for the holiday, but also take part in the secular stuff (Santa Claus, Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, presents).

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Not to hihack your thread, but wouldn't it be awesome if most adults understood the significance of Easter Sunday.
    What an incredible gift this day is!

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

It is finished.

It (God's redemptive work) is finished(completed).

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

I have never taught my children anything other than we are celebrating that Jesus rose from the dead today. We haven't really segregated out the Easter bunny, but, if you ask them, it is about Jesus- and celebrating his gift of eternal life.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    It is finished.

Interesting you made that post. On Friday my pastor spoke briefly on the significance of "IT is finished" vs. "I am finished" or "I am dying/about to die etc...", and what IT is, and what FINISHED actually meant then and now and so on.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    It is finished.

Yep, intriguing thread and post. Thanks for adding it to the mix LFR. Depending on where one is on the planet, "it" may be life, redemption, chapter, event, prophecy, all of the above ??.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    Yep, intriguing thread and post. Thanks for adding it to the mix LFR. Depending on where one is on the planet, "it" may be life, redemption, chapter, event, prophecy, all of the above ??.
    Actually, my understanding is that when read in context and in the original language of the earliest writings, "it" can only be God's plan of redemption for mankind.

Varsity Bulldog Lazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of light Lazarus_KKY's Avatar

I have always wondered what Jesus went through in those three days from when He died and when He rose from the grave. I guess I will have to ask Him when I meet Him in Heaven one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus_KKY View Post
    I have always wondered what Jesus went through in those three days from when He died and when He rose from the grave. I guess I will have to ask Him when I meet Him in Heaven one day.
    He told the thief that he would be with him "today" in paradise.

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/post...turday-in-hell
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I think even un-churched believers who attend Easter services are teaching their families that there is something special about Easter. That bleeds over into the secular world too I think. Both are good IMO.

Question: I don't ever recall Passover being celebrated along with Easter until recently. The showing of "The Ten Commandments" on Easter weekend is fairly new too. Have I just missed this completely over the years, or is this a fairly new observance that is being placed with Easter?

Edit: I still don't recall the two being mixed together over the years, but I got an answer to part of my queststion.

The First Council of Nicaea (325) established the date of Easter as the first Sunday after the full moon (the Paschal Full Moon) following the northern hemisphere's vernal equinox

Passover is a spring festival, so the 14th day of Nisan begins on the night of a full moon after the northern vernal equinox

+ Reply to Thread