+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gov Scott Walker and Unions

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Gov Scott Walker and Unions

Not much discussion on this pending showdown on this forum. Find that curious. Some of you (not me, of course) are very opininated and don't shy away from expressing your view points.

If the polls are accurate, it looks like Walker will survive the recall. If, the polls are right! And, if he does, can that be taken as a mandate, or a license for other states to "declare war" on public sector labor unions?

I'm doing this part from memory, so I might be off a little. But, as I recall, Walker ran on a platform of balancing Wisconsin's state budget by mandating that state employees contribute to their own benefits (health insurance and retirement). But, after being elected, he went further by advocating banning unions for public employees. If true, I don't agree with the abolition of unions for public sector employees. ALL Americans have the right to collective bargaining. However!!! that does mean that unions should be able to hold taxpayers and administrations hostage. Reagan got it right with the air-traffic controllers. He said, yep! you have the right to go on strike, and I have the right to fire you all.....which he did.

Unions served a real purpose 50-80 years ago, winning rights for labor. In more recent times, unions have been able to act as a check-and-balance to big business. Turnover is so very costly, businesses don't want to lose the trained and experienced workforce they have. That is the leverage unions hold. But....only to a point.

As for the public sector, I advocate ending civil service, tenure for teachers, and especially tenure for college profs, and other such perks. But, given that, public employees must have a vehicle to protect their rights. Therefore, I think public labor unions should not be banned.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Gov Scott Walker and Unions

I am all for the reforms that Scott Walker has pushed. And I believe that Walker found that having Wisconsin state workers associated with the SEIU abomination prevented any reform.

Wisconsin state government workers should be able to unionize, but why should that union be allowed to have any presence outside Wisconsin? Answer is, it shouldn't.

Walker's ban is to cut out the cancer that is the SEIU. The presence of the SEIU works against the public good.

And that is the mandate that Walker's likely victory Tuesday will bring.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite correct. He did not ban unions, but stripped their collective bargaining rights.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

And Walker is 100% correct. Likewise unions and their "leaders", as they have functioned the last 25+ years, are helping destroy this country all in the name of voting power and under the table (and on top) money scams from the democrat controlled fed and various state governments.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LATechBanjo View Post
    Not quite correct. He did not ban unions, but stripped their collective bargaining rights.
    Without collective bargaining rights, what's the use of a union? Maybe to file greivances against supervisors, perhaps to provide some type of group benefits, I guess. But, CB is the primary function of a union.

That's akin to not ending ulm football, just not allowing them to schedule games!

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Without collective bargaining rights, what's the use of a union? Maybe to file greivances against supervisors, perhaps to provide some type of group benefits, I guess. But, CB is the primary function of a union.

That's akin to not ending ulm football, just not allowing them to schedule games!
    The primary function of a union is to organize striking labor and intimidate others from crossing. Period. Anything else is gravy.

CB is just a way of time-lining work rule and pay issues to fight over, without taking economic or business realities into account. They are often time and money drains with significant expense giving to contract renegotiations for little result. Without a CBA, pay and work rules must be brought up on an as-needed basis, which requires the union to actually do their job and listen to their members.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Walker also cut taxes which increased government revenue and gave Wisconsin an unexpected budget surplus.

MADISON — Republican Gov. Scott Walker's administration said Thursday that its new revenue projections show the state will finish the 2011-2013 budget years with a surplus rather than the deficit predicted earlier this year.

The projections were based on stronger-than-anticipated personal income growth last year, Walker officials said.

.. the state Department of Revenue now estimates that the state will take in about $265 million more than the bureau expected, which should translate to a $275.1 million surplus on June 30, 2012, and a $154.5 million surplus on June 30, 2013, Department of Administration Secretary Mike Huebsch wrote in a letter to Walker.

http://m.lacrossetribune.com/news/lo...9bb2963f4.html

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Isn't the argument in Wisc about PUBLIC SECTOR unions and not private sector?

I can't fathom how the EEEEVIL government poses a threat to its workers. It's not like the gov is trying to get 16-yr-old kids to work 100 hours a week. Unions were created to bargain against the evil corporate bosses in order to get better pay and working conditions.

The governments these days all have the laws to prevent prejudice, blah, blah, blah.....safety is a top concern. Public sector unions are USELESS. I hope Wisc keeps Walker.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Isn't the argument in Wisc about PUBLIC SECTOR unions and not private sector?

I can't fathom how the EEEEVIL government poses a threat to its workers. It's not like the gov is trying to get 16-yr-old kids to work 100 hours a week. Unions were created to bargain against the evil corporate bosses in order to get better pay and working conditions.

The governments these days all have the laws to prevent prejudice, blah, blah, blah.....safety is a top concern. Public sector unions are USELESS. I hope Wisc keeps Walker.
    Agree. The Unions are bargaining against the Wisconsin taxpayers since they pay government employee's salaries. Something seems really wrong about that.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    Agree. The Unions are bargaining against the Wisconsin taxpayers since they pay government employee's salaries. Something seems really wrong about that.
    what's really wrong is that they "bargain" with the politicians that they help elect. "give us a good deal and we'll keep the campaign money coming..."
    if that's not a conflict of interest i don't know what is.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Not much discussion on this pending showdown on this forum. Find that curious. Some of you (not me, of course) are very opininated and don't shy away from expressing your view points.

If the polls are accurate, it looks like Walker will survive the recall. If, the polls are right! And, if he does, can that be taken as a mandate, or a license for other states to "declare war" on public sector labor unions?

I'm doing this part from memory, so I might be off a little. But, as I recall, Walker ran on a platform of balancing Wisconsin's state budget by mandating that state employees contribute to their own benefits (health insurance and retirement). But, after being elected, he went further by advocating banning unions for public employees. If true, I don't agree with the abolition of unions for public sector employees. ALL Americans have the right to collective bargaining. However!!! that does mean that unions should be able to hold taxpayers and administrations hostage. Reagan got it right with the air-traffic controllers. He said, yep! you have the right to go on strike, and I have the right to fire you all.....which he did.

Unions served a real purpose 50-80 years ago, winning rights for labor. In more recent times, unions have been able to act as a check-and-balance to big business. Turnover is so very costly, businesses don't want to lose the trained and experienced workforce they have. That is the leverage unions hold. But....only to a point.

As for the public sector, I advocate ending civil service, tenure for teachers, and especially tenure for college profs, and other such perks. But, given that, public employees must have a vehicle to protect their rights. Therefore, I think public labor unions should not be banned.
    I believe that Scott Walker will survive the recall election against Tom Barrett tomorrow. Walker won't have much of a state mandate if he wins because of a few Senate recall elections tomorrow targeting GOP senators and no legislative session between now and the general election in November. Walker won't get much accomplished until after the 2012 General Election; however, Walker could have a greater mandate after the 2012 general election. A greater mandate for some other states or the nation will be determined from a combination of the Walker recall election and the 2012 General Election.

The problem with labor unions today is that most of their activities have nothing to do with labor. They fight for amnesty for illegal immigrants and gay marriage and against voter ID cards.

They also demonize the Republicans and wholeheartedly support the Democrat Party. That strategy may work when the Democrats are in power. When the GOP takes back control (like in Wisconsin), the unions are royally screwed. If the union bosses were smart, they would start kissing the GOP's butt and contributing to their campaigns as well as the Democrats. Continuing a policy in which your organization pisses off at least half the elected officals in a government will eventually lead to your organization's demise.

As a public employee, I do not believe that public employees should be allowed to unionize. Instead, I would like to see Civil Service regulations reexamined and revised to better serve the public employees. I would like to see a civil service system for public employees that makes it easier to fire bad employees and harder to fire good employees. The civil service system should make it easy for good employees to be rewarded and commended for their hard work and protect against mass turnover due to cronyism for a new governor.

FYI, the air traffic controllers couldn't go on strike in 1981. It was against the law. That was the problem.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

pmsNBC has called the Wisconsin recall race for Walker even before Fox News has called it with just under 25% of the vote in. Ed Schultz is almost speechless on air. And Maddow looks like she is ready to cry.

And on CNN Wolf calls it a close race with Walker up 60%-40%.

Meanwhile, Nancy Grace is dealing with a love triangle......

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Is it November yet?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

I'm not sure how anyone can call a 19 percentage point difference close, especially after the 14-point margin of victory of Obama over McCain was made into such a big deal by everyone. Also of note, Walker's vote-share increased by 7 percentage points over what he had in the initial election while Barret, who was Walker's main opponent in that election as well, saw a decrease of 5 (6 if your a stickler) percentage points.

The fight isn't over though. Any moment, there will be calls for investigations and lawsuits for a recount. One way to have some votes thrown out, to me, is I've seen several places report there being same-day voter registration. That's a no-no to me.

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

60/40 is not far from a landslide. The dems will not sleep well at all tonight. Come on November.

+ Reply to Thread