If you have a felony conviction you lose your right to vote. That seems to be okay, taken at face value. And is certainly appropriate for many (most) felons. But, there are always some exceptions that cause you to think about a law that paints all felons with the same brush. Case in point...

Matt W. is a new business "acquaintance." Just met him for the first time about a month ago, and last night ran into him at a social gathering and had a chance to chat. He was convicted of a felony and served 9 months in prison when he was 18. I didn't ask the specifics of the crime. At 20 he enlisted in the Army, and served 13 years with distinction. That included two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan and he was wounded twice. The last time, he lost the use of his left arm. His Humvee was hit by a RPG and Matt was wounded as he pulled a wounded comrade from the burning vehicle. Then he single-handedly fought off about 30 insurgents while protecting his wounded buddies. They all survived.

After 18 months of hospital stays and rehab, he was reinstated active duty, but assigned to a transportation unit. During this time he decided his career in the army was over, and he started thinking about his, and his family's future. He is married with two young kids. He started a small business, but could not qualify for an SBA loan, since felons are also ineligible for government-backed loans, such as the SBA. He did it on his own.

So, last night, the conversation turned to politics, and he said even though he can't vote himself, he tries to educate and motivate others to, and to make wise choices. Here's a true American hero, saved the lives of three soldiers, and due to a stupid mistake made at 18, he is forever denied the right to vote. But, we all know that illegal aliens will vote and others will commit voter fraud of various kinds. But, this hero can not vote.

Seems to me an appeal process should be in place to review cases like this. He's a small business owner, created 5 jobs. A husband and father, and he fought, and was nearly killed, protecting our right to vote. I vote that Sargent Matt W. have his voting rights reinstated. What say you!?