Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
The WAC was a good thing for Tech, and I agree that being in the WAC helped get our name out there beyond the Ark-La-Tex-Miss region, and that is a good thing. But, when you say it's the best thing since Maxie Lambright (and his brilliant Offensive Coordinator), I can't help but think of what could have been. Our former AD, Paul Miller was working with Memphis, Southern Miss, Houston, etc.. on the formation of C-USA back in the 80s and early 90s. Tech was to be a charter member of C-USA, but instead we fired Miller in favor of Jerry Stovall who promptly pulled us from C-USA and put us in the Big West. That was an enormous blow to our entire athletic department, and set our sports programs back many years. Stovall was the worst thing that has ever happened to Louisiana Tech Athletics. EVER.

When you look at the founding members of C-USA, those who continued to invest in their programs and facilities have mostly gone on to BC$ conferences. But, at least I'm not bitter about that dipshit Stovall.

Regardless, getting out of the WAC and into C-USA is a very good thing for Tech fans. The biggest hit we took when moving to the Big West was that most of our fans could not travel to any of our away games. Except for the few years that SMU, Rice and Tulsa were in the E-WAC, Tech fans have not been able to drive to an away conference game in 20 years. Things are going well for us, and better days are ahead. But, I can't help hoping that karma slaps Jerry Stovall harder than it slapped Bobby Petrino. It couldn't happen to a more deserving person.
Thanks for the insight. This Stovall thing is brought up ever so cryptically on here from time to time and unless you were around in those days you can't make sense of it.