+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Abe Attrep

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Dr. Abe Attrep

Dr. Attrep passed away earlier this week. He was a great teacher, a true Tech sports fan, and a good man.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Dr. Abe Attrep

I never had Dr. Attrep, but I used to wait for my girlfriend (now wife) to get out of his class. I'd get there early so I could listen to him from the hall. He loved teaching and he was great at it. He'll be missed.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

He was a great man and a wonderful teacher. That booming voice and that purposeful stride! I will never forget one morning he came into the classroom and walked to the blackboard, turned around and said, "Excuse me while I procure that most necessary tool with which to dispense the knowledge." And he strode out of the classroom. We all looked at each other and I'm thinking what in the hell is it?

He came back in carrying a piece of chalk! I've never looked at chalk the sane way again! One of the best teachers I ever had. Tech's history department had some of the best in those days. Dr. Thompson, Dr. Winters, Mr. Peoples, and Dr. Attrep.

RIP Dr. Attrep. You will be missed.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

I only happened to pick him for one "filler" class I had to find to fill out a schedule one quarter, but that ended up being one of my very favorite classes while at Tech. I looked forward to getting to that history class each day because I enjoyed listening to his lectures so much. He really brought it to life and a lot of those lessons have stuck with me to this day. Let's just say there were VERY few teachers that ever had that effect with me! You could tell he really loved what he did....

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

I am so sad to hear this. I have always touted Dr. Attrep as the best teacher I ever had at Tech. I would always sign up for his classes simply because I wanted to hear him lecture. I never made a good grade in any of his classes, because I just wanted to sit and listen rather than take notes. He was a captivating speaker, and a kind man.

Varsity Bulldog JAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of light

He was truly a scholar and I wish I had the ability to deliver a lecture that captivates the students like he did. That means only two of the teachers I had while earning my History degree at Tech are still alive -- Dr. Buice and Dr. Cook.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Prof Attrep taught history like he was conducting a symphony.

A real loss to the Tech family.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

He enjoyed his Tech mens and womens basketball. My wife and I were fortunate the past three seasons when he got season tickets next to us. It was so nice to chat with him about history and his interests and writing. He ALWAYS had a BIG SMILE and enjoyed the games while rooting for Tech. We'll miss him. Never had a class under him, but I was lucky enough to have Peoples, Thompson, Winters, and Captn. Tomlinson.

We are a better university because Dr. Attrep came here and stayed here.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

That dude was a trip. The only class where i got an opinion question wrong. Good man

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    That dude was a trip. The only class where i got an opinion question wrong. Good man
    I guess it must have prepared you for the broadcast industry.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I thought Dr. Attrep passed away several years ago. Or maybe someone had started a thread that he was sick or something. He was also one of my favorites. I wasn't exactly good at attending classes that weren't mandataory, but I never missed one of his. I worked at the Acura/Infiniti dealership in Baton Rouge years ago for a while, and I met his brother there. Of course having the same last name was a clue, but there was no denying the two were brothers. This saddens me.

Varsity Bulldog Lazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of light Lazarus_KKY's Avatar

I had him for one week. A couple of students had parked in the teachers spots one day and he ended up having to park a good ways away from his classroom. Long story short he had a heat stroke walking to class that day and wnt to the hospital. They had some monotone retiree replace him for the rest of the quarter. I ended up dropping the class. It's sad to hear of his passing.

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Without a doubt a professor that loved what he did. I struggled to keep up with notes in his class because I was enjoying listening too much!

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Sad to hear this, he had such great expression and joy for teaching. Champ described it best, it was like he was conducting a symphony/putting on a performance. You could tell he really enjoyed it. He lived a long and seemedly good life, so that is some consolation.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

He was one of my all-time favorites too.

+ Reply to Thread