+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 84 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1260

Thread: The (LA Tech/LSUS) Merger Thread II

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Re: The (LA Tech/LSUS) Merger Thread II

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Give the man some credit. When he says ""We have never been more committed to LSUS and the Shreveport-Bossier community," I think that's a true statement. It doesn't take much of anything at all to be "more committed" when you've never shown any type of commitment whatsoever in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    He said: "We have never been more committed to LSUS and the Shreveport-Bossier community..."

Truth! and it's easy to maintain that when you are just barely providing anything!
    That was my exact thought when I read that statement. He is absolutely correct. They have never been more committed. Just as true if you take out the more.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

It would be tough to be less committed short of closing.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Just empty words from LSU System Pres/Chancellor Alexander.

---

Quotes from the article by F. King Alexander:
    LSUS is one of the fastest growing universities in Louisiana," Alexander said Friday morning in a statement. "Chancellor (Larrry) Clark and his faculty and staff are doing great things, and we are very proud of the impact they have on the region."

"We have never been more committed to LSUS and the Shreveport-Bossier community, and they have the full backing of the entire LSU family.”

https://twitter.com/MayorGlover/stat...29987520536577

Capture.PNG

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

HB 470 has been referred to the House Education Committee this afternoon.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

If you want to keep track of HB470

https://legiscan.com/LA/bill/HB470/2019

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

This should be interesting.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I signed up.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

https://legiscan.com/LA/bill/HCR24/2019

Another Cedric Glover et al - Resolution.

I think this one makes sense about the Southern University Law Center. It would be a new law school, just an extension of Southern-BR Law School. I know Louisiana College wanted to open a Law school in Shreveport, but they had MANY hurdles, especially $$$ and accreditation. A Southern Campus in Shreveport probably would just need the funds for teachers, if they used existing Southern-Shreveport campus, which could probably be paid through tuition. If they wanted to purchase and renovate a new building like LA College wanted, it would cost MILLIONS. It would probably also receive some help financially from the local legal community.

I think this would also be good for Tech grads looking into going to Law School as it would give us a North Louisiana campus. Currently there are 4 law schools in Louisiana - 2 public in B.R. - LSU & Southern and 2 private in New Orleans - Tulane & Loyola.

Current Costs:
    LSU ~ $50,000/y
    Southern ~ $37,000/y
    Tulane ~ $82,000/y
    Loyola ~ $68,000/y

Requests that the Bd. of Regents study how the state can best meet the legal education needs of students and the economic and workforce development needs of the Shreveport-Bossier region, including meeting these needs through establishing a campus of the Southern Univ. Law Center in Shreveport, and submit a written report of findings and recommendations to the House and Senate education committees by not later than 90 days prior to the 2020 R.S.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Shreveport does not need a diploma mill law school...and that's all this is!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    Shreveport does not need a diploma mill law school...and that's all this is!
    why do you say that? from my understanding, Southern Law is a respectable institution.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

School
    # Applicants
    Passed
    Failed
    LSU
    118 (87.41%)
    17 (12.59%)
    Loyola
    87 (83.65%)
    17 (16.35%)
    Southern
    62 (44.29%)
    78 (55.71%)
    Tulane
    60 (78.95%)
    16 (21.05%)
    Total
    327 (71.87%)
    128 (28.13%)

Of those students educated in a civil law-based school, Southern had less than half the class pass the bar...and made up well more than half of the total failures. Southern is a diploma mill that generally turns out ill-prepared students and lawyers.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    why do you say that? from my understanding, Southern Law is a respectable institution.
    On the 2017 bar exam, LSU law graduates (135) passed at a 87% clip; Southern law school graduates (140) were at 44%. You make the call.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    On the 2017 bar exam, LSU law graduates (135) passed at a 87% clip; Southern law school graduates (140) were at 44%. You make the call.
    Do you think that's the teachers or the quality of student they are letting in. I know when my brother applied for law school at LSU, his backup plan was Southern.

I'm guessing a lot of those students didn't meet the LSU standards and shouldn't have been in law school in the first place, but they had to become a lawyer.

All I'm saying, is maybe some of the grads heading to LSU might stay in North Louisiana if there was a campus here.

I'd love for Tech to have a Law School, but I think it would require a large endowment to do it right. I'd hate for other programs to suffer because of it.

Texas Southern had similar results https://ble.texas.gov/2018_July

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I had a good experience at LSUS and it is still paying dividends all these years later. Got an MBA there, total cost for the degree was just over $5,000. Other programs I considered at the time were all $20K+. All of my classes were F2F, with one hybrid course. No one cares which school I went to. All people see are those letters "MBA" and ask me if I can do....[fill in the blank]. I am doing a consulting gig right now for an energy company in Texas. I work from home, with limited travel required. The MBA also got me the position at NSU where I garnered a nice salary and am now retired from the state.

So, like anything else in life, it's what you do with opportunities that matter. For me, with an interest in marketing, I cozied up to the marketing professor and have continued to do consulting work with him, even though he left LSUS in 2012 during all that merger mess. He is now in Saudi Arabia, Director of the Marketing Department at a university there.

That $5,000 and time investment I made at LSUS has paid off many, many, many times over.
    I think my flaw in thinking was that I thought I could get a full college experience at LSUS. Being an undergrad compared to a Post-grad is apples and oranges. Getting an MBA is strictly business (no pun intended). You want your undergrad to also be a memorable experience. Mine wasn't.

+ Reply to Thread