+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: The (LA Tech/LSUS) Merger Thread II

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: The (LA Tech/LSUS) Merger Thread II

The immediate past president of the LSUS Foundation weighs in... in support of the merger.

He calls out the anti-merger crowd for trying to "kill the messenger" and resorting to "personal attacks" of proponents for the merger.

He compares the current situation with the same one in the early 1990s when another consultant recommended the same merger between LaTech and LSUS. At the time, the LSU System president presented a similar LSUS commitment plan, but it obviously was not implemented.

He called out Jack McLeod for claiming that Tech had a "hidden agenda" when there was none.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...ion-worthwhile

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Haters gonna hate. And despite 100+ years of being willfully ignored and shunted, we're still a Tier 1 Research University with a damn good football team. One day, someone's gonna make a documentary entitled "Up from the Doghouse" about how a North Louisiana university, against all odds, grew renowned for its academic superiority and athletic prowess

A little success builds another. LSUS will soon realize their mistake. We're going to end up in the SBC area anyway. Only now, they've shuttered any chance of revitalizing themselves.

Is there an available list of companies with space in the Research Park?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

If Tech and Shreveport and some businesses and some wealthy venture capitalists and some BB&B members all feel the need to develop a Tier I research university in S/B.....do it! Go for it! You don't need LSUS to make that happen. You don't need anything but yourselves. Just stop talking and get it done. I will root y'all on from afar. Good luck.
    Negative. Tech needs to be ANCHORED in a bona fide metropolitan area (and/or accumulate a couple billion dollars in our endowment) in order to take the next step in our development. A top tier research university is anchored on a robust undergraduate foundation. Tech's footprint in S/BC (including our undergraduate and graduate offerings) have been limited by restrictions to keep us from competing with lsus. So, in theory we could get the metropolitan depth that we need by building up Tech Barksdale, but lsus would have to either cease to exist or we must be permitted to grow our offerings without regard for competing with them.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Negative. Tech needs to be ANCHORED in a bona fide metropolitan area (and/or accumulate a couple billion dollars in our endowment) in order to take the next step in our development. A top tier research university is anchored on a robust undergraduate foundation. Tech's footprint in S/BC (including our undergraduate and graduate offerings) have been limited by restrictions to keep us from competing with lsus. So, in theory we could get the metropolitan depth that we need by building up Tech Barksdale, but lsus would have to either cease to exist or we must be permitted to grow our offerings without regard for competing with them.
    Robust undergrad foundation? Well, you're the first person to refer to LSUS' undergrad in a positive way. Robust? They opened their doors with 4,000 undergrads in 1967 and have about that (4,200) today! Actually, if you've been reading this forum, you'd know that LSUS has the stupidest students, the lousiest faculty...several posters have stated "I have never met an LSUS grad." or "My company has never hired an LSUS grad." and so on... So, that begs the question, why would anyone want to associate with LSUS?

Grow our offerings? Another poster stated the programs now offered at LSUS would go away. That Tech-Shreveport, this incredible research facility, which would be the envy of the civilized world, by the way, would offer ONLY such things as engineering, high-tech, sophisticated scientific courses....no history, no education, nothing else. At least, that's what one poster stated. And since no one has challenged that assertion, I assume everyone else must agree with it. So! that being the case, Tech has only to expand Barksdale and/or establish another campus in S'port and do all of that wonderful stuff. Tech WILL NOT be competing with LSUS, since LSUS does not have such offerings.

Your post is just another in a long line of ridiculous versions of the big lie. Y'all should call time out, huddle up, and come up with one version and stick with it. As it is, y'all are stepping on each other's lie.

Big Dog TN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to all

You must pass the bill to find out what is in the bill. Worry about the "little" details later.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Robust undergrad foundation? Well, you're the first person to refer to LSUS' undergrad in a positive way. Robust? They opened their doors with 4,000 undergrads in 1967 and have about that (4,200) today! Actually, if you've been reading this forum, you'd know that LSUS has the stupidest students, the lousiest faculty...several posters have stated "I have never met an LSUS grad." or "My company has never hired an LSUS grad." and so on... So, that begs the question, why would anyone want to associate with LSUS?

Grow our offerings? Another poster stated the programs now offered at LSUS would go away. That Tech-Shreveport, this incredible research facility, which would be the envy of the civilized world, by the way, would offer ONLY such things as engineering, high-tech, sophisticated scientific courses....no history, no education, nothing else. At least, that's what one poster stated. And since no one has challenged that assertion, I assume everyone else must agree with it. So! that being the case, Tech has only to expand Barksdale and/or establish another campus in S'port and do all of that wonderful stuff. Tech WILL NOT be competing with LSUS, since LSUS does not have such offerings.

Your post is just another in a long line of ridiculous versions of the big lie. Y'all should call time out, huddle up, and come up with one version and stick with it. As it is, y'all are stepping on each other's lie.
    Your loyalty to 'tigah-lite' and your hyper-sensitivity to any criticism of your Alma mater has been continually on display. The time has long passed for you to man-up and plainly state the true reason(s) for your merger opposition and cease hiding behind flimsy pretenses. Failure to be forthright destroys credibility.

Shreveport has plainly stated its need for a Tier 1 university for business recruiting purposes and that need has been echoed and supported by two independent studies. It is obvious that 'little lsu' will never be that university while nearby Louisiana Tech perfectly fills that need. Consequently, unless there is an economic concern for Louisiana Tech, all other opposition must be assumed to be based purely on emotional attachment to lsu and without foundation. As you said, "game, set, match."
    Last edited by LookingForResults; 06-02-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Perhaps Tech should take the Elrod approach. Shreveport is used to that. When Bossier Medical Center wouldn't sell to him, it ticked him off, he built a hospital right down the road, and put them out of business.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    Perhaps Tech should take the Elrod approach. Shreveport is used to that. When Bossier Medical Center wouldn't sell to him, it ticked him off, he built a hospital right down the road, and put them out of business.
    I suggest that we first replace a band building nearing 50 years in age before building a Shreveport campus!

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    I suggest that we first replace a band building nearing 50 years in age before building a Shreveport campus!
    Lol I forgot my sarcasm icon, but I agree!!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    Your loyalty to 'tigah-lite' and your hyper-sensitivity to any criticism of your Alma mater has been continually on display. The time has long passed for you to man-up and plainly state the true reason(s) for your merger opposition and cease hiding behind flimsy pretenses. Failure to be forthright destroys credibility.

Shreveport has plainly stated its need for a Tier 1 university for business recruiting purposes and that need has been echoed and supported by two independent studies. It is obvious that 'little lsu' will never be that university while nearby Louisiana Tech perfectly fills that need. Consequently, unless there is an economic concern for Louisiana Tech, all other opposition must be assumed to be based purely on emotional attachment to lsu and without foundation. As you said, "game, set, match."
    First, as to the "studies." When you're the one paying the consultant, in this case Eva Klein, they will make the report come out whichever way you want. The pro-merger side hired EKA to produce a report to support their position. It is biased and without merit.

Secondly, I have NEVER, not once, said that a Tier 1 research facility wouldn't help Shreveport, and if it were Tech providing it, would also benefit Tech. However, I do think Tech should focus on growing its new enterprise campus, and as a result, grow Ruston. Make it the hub of such research activities in the region, and I promise you, businesses will relocate to Ruston, bringing jobs and growth.

Next, Shreveport NEEDS a lot of things! And a research entity is not at the top of the priority list. But, on that topic, S'port lacks one, for the very reason it lacks other things, S'port is a do-nothing town. It has always under-achieved. It is a "Texas" town packed with LSpoo wannabees. S'port has never cared about nor supported Tech. Never! and, it never will. I can also promise even a state-of-the-art research campus will not generate support from the current S'port populace or business community. Such a campus would be successful by attracting out-of-state firms and such a thing can occur in Ruston.

Next, I have three alma maters, actually, Tech, NSU, and LSUS. I support them all. But, as I have posted on several occasions, LSUS serves a certain college-going demographics. Most of those students do not "measure up" to Tech. For some, it is marginal academic skills, for others it is financial. Of course, there are some very bright students who would do well at Tech, or elsewhere. And, I am speaking mostly about the undergrads. 90%+ of the graduate students at LSUS are there strictly for the convenience of the university....many have impressive undergrad and other credentials, some of which would put a good portion of the BB&B regulars to shame.

Back to my point. Everything I have read and seen and heard from proponents completely ignores the issue of those undergrads I've mentioned. If someone says, well, there'll be a teach-out allowed, that only accounts for current LSUS undergrads and does nothing for those who need LSUS in the future. I have already spelled this out in detail in previous posts....

So, for the record, I support:

1). Tech focusing on growing the new enterprise campus/Ruston
    2). A S'port presence 100% independent from LSUS, a separate campus.

And you can stop with the childish "tigger" comments. I am having an adult discussion. If you wish to continue to participate, you need to stay on topic.

You are having an adult discussion????!!!!! My previous post was generously considerate. You haven't posted a single comment that lends any reason to support an independent lsus campus. And to say you support yet ANOTHER university campus in Louisiana, and TWO in Shreveport, is disingenuous, stupid, or both. You've definitely got some heavily tigger-tinted glasses, but to no one's surprise they haven't improved your vision.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody who cares about the best interests of S'port/Bossier and hasn't been deluded into thinking LSU-S is actually a part of LSU Baton Rouge should be for this merger. It is the best way to bring a growing, vibrant university to this region. Hindsight will be 20-20 for those that were hoodwinked.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

First, as to the "studies." When you're the one paying the consultant, in this case Eva Klein, they will make the report come out whichever way you want. The pro-merger side hired EKA to produce a report to support their position. It is biased and without merit.
    Well, there you go. Case closed.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

Next, Shreveport NEEDS a lot of things! And a research entity is not at the top of the priority list.
    Then what is at the top of the priority list?

But, as I have posted on several occasions, LSUS serves a certain college-going demographics. Most of those students do not "measure up" to Tech. For some, it is marginal academic skills, for others it is financial. Of course, there are some very bright students who would do well at Tech, or elsewhere. And, I am speaking mostly about the undergrads. 90%+ of the graduate students at LSUS are there strictly for the convenience of the university....many have impressive undergrad and other credentials, some of which would put a good portion of the BB&B regulars to shame.

Back to my point. Everything I have read and seen and heard from proponents completely ignores the issue of those undergrads I've mentioned. If someone says, well, there'll be a teach-out allowed, that only accounts for current LSUS undergrads and does nothing for those who need LSUS in the future.
    As mentioned repeatedly, Tech would not take over LSUS to shut it down or to create a new separate satellite university. LSUS would be replaced with a branch campus of the Tier -1 national research university, Louisiana Tech University. Presumably the students that are currently at LSUS who can cut it at Tech would then go to this new branch campus. Those who can't or who need LSUS in the future don't, in fact, need LSUS. They need a community/vocational college.

+ Reply to Thread