+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about WHY this is such a great move....

Champ Tbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of light Tbone1's Avatar

Thumbs Up Lets talk about WHY this is such a great move....

First off, its clear that C-USA was a step up for Tech in the world of D1 football. No question. Better TV deal. Better bowl tie-ins. Better marketing. Better national reputation. Better for recruiting. Just flat out BETTER.

But, the underlying advantage that just makes this awesome from my perspective is the GEOGRAPHY involved.
    Instead of gallavanting all over the globe competing against Idaho, hawaii, and San Jose.....we have the opportunity to play teams within a short/moderate drive; Rice, Tulane, North Texas, Southern Miss, etc.

As George Castanza would say, "This is GOLD, Jerry....GOLD"

That shorter travel distance and regional familiarity with foes, will spawn REAL rivalries. Fans, alumni, and students alike will be capable of making those trips in greater numbers. You'll start seeing better crowds on Saturdays. You'll start getting more interest vested in these contests against familiar foes from down the road. Our students and theirs will become rivals.

Its not going to happen overnight, but its coming. Watch.

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

Re: Lets talk about WHY this is such a great move....

Your point is well taken. However, it was Bania that said "This is GOLD, Jerry....GOLD".

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I love being associated with the private universities again of Rice, Tulsa, Tulane and UAB's medical school etc....

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Me too, Tyler...this is the best move for us, by far. Carpe Diem Dawgs!! Seize the DAY!!

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Ran into rob mcgill's dad at the blackjack table in Vagas this week and we talked about how much better it would have been for the parents. I think he was really excited but a little sad at the same time. I made sure to tell him it wouldn't have been possible without his son. Made me think how big this could be for recruiting.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPieBlue View Post
    Your point is well taken. However, it was Bania that said "This is GOLD, Jerry....GOLD".
    Ovaltine? Why don't they call it "Roundtine?"

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Echoing deadawg. The recruiting impact alone is huge. Recruits can tell their parents they can travel to almost all of the away games. IMO there's a great amount of expectation from the conference in terms of upgrading facilities. BB expects it, and I suspect visiting fans will expect it once they come to Ruston, given the photos I've seen on the CUSA board. Hopefully this is the catalyst to start acquiring more funding for facilities.

Champ Tbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of light Tbone1's Avatar

Agree that recruiting will benefit for various reasons.
    1. For the last year or more, we've had to be on the defensive in recruiting living rooms. Defending the WAC as it was crumbling around us.
    2. Going into C-USA just gave us a shot in the arm in those living rooms. No more fighting the stigma of a dying conference. Now we can actually SELL conference affiliation as a strength.
    3. The caliber of recruit we tend to pursue had us competing with programs like Southern Miss and Houston and Rice and Tulsa. Up until now, we had to overcome the fact that we were in a lesser conference than those competitors. No longer. We're on level ground.
    4. And the schedule can now be used as a selling point, instead of a detraction. We can sell contests against oponents with name recognition....especially in this Region.
    5. And as stated, the ease of travel for Mom & Dad.

Champ george is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone1 View Post
    Agree that recruiting will benefit for various reasons.
    1. For the last year or more, we've had to be on the defensive in recruiting living rooms. Defending the WAC as it was crumbling around us.
    2. Going into C-USA just gave us a shot in the arm in those living rooms. No more fighting the stigma of a dying conference. Now we can actually SELL conference affiliation as a strength.
    3. The caliber of recruit we tend to pursue had us competing with programs like Southern Miss and Houston and Rice and Tulsa. Up until now, we had to overcome the fact that we were in a lesser conference than those competitors. No longer. We're on level ground.
    4. And the schedule can now be used as a selling point, instead of a detraction. We can sell contests against oponents with name recognition....especially in this Region.
    5. And as stated, the ease of travel for Mom & Dad.
    all of this is very true. the thing i think is most exciting is its not like we have been recruiting badly the last few years, even fighting this stigma. dooley and dykes have brought some talent in here the last five years or so. now it can grow and be even better.

I gotta tell you, I'm really looking forward to starting some of these annual rivalries.
    The North Texas series really intrigues me for some reason.
    And Tulane can no longer avoid playing us....we've got to own that matchup over the next several years.
    And then there's Rice. Another one that just gets me excited.

But the big one, to me at least, is the Southern Miss matchup. Man, I hope they are our permanent cross-division rival. That would be awesome.

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

Kind of seems like now would be a good time for a major grassroots Q4Edrive or a 10k season tickets sales drive...

Bulldog Jack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your time Jack Mayhoffer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPieBlue View Post
    Why let the facts interfere at this point?!?!?
    "Off the top of my head, I'd say you're looking at a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethros and a Leon Spinks, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever!"

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

Rice, 300 miles; UTSA, 460 miles; Tulsa, 410 miles; Tulane, 330 miles; USM, 240 miles; UNT, 290 miles. I am relying on my computer for these distances. Some of them seem longer than I would have thought.

Puppy !!!!!_Derkk_!!!!! is an unknown

Interesting discussion.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I think, over time, it will level the playing field for us in the OOC contests. I am hoping we will be able to schedule games with the likes of TCU, Baylor, Houston, SMU, and even more series with SEC schools. Somehow I think all those schools would travel at least for a 2 and 1 to Ruston to play a CUSA school instead of a wac school.

+ Reply to Thread