+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Activity Fee?

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

Activity Fee?

Can Tech now add a student activity fee? If so, how much should be imposed, and how much would it increase sports budget?

Champ odysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the rough

Re: Activity Fee?

Would the students get to vote on this fee? I'm not sure it would pass so soon after they just passed another fee.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    Would the students get to vote on this fee? I'm not sure it would pass so soon after they just passed another fee.
    If the "student activity fee" is a student self-assessed fee, then yes, the students have to vote on the fee.

I think another fee could pass depending on all the details of the fee (benefits, costs, structure). If it is just a blanket fee for the athletic program, then it might not pass. If the fee has specific goals and projects in mind with tangible benefits to the students, then the fee has a chance.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by counselingdawg View Post
    Can Tech now add a student activity fee? If so, how much should be imposed, and how much would it increase sports budget?
    "Tech" can't but the students can vote to self-assess a fee...

Champ garddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to behold

Didn't they just vote for another fee this past quarter? I get that we need to do it but I think the fees are starting to pile on.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garddawg View Post
    Didn't they just vote for another fee this past quarter? I get that we need to do it but I think the fees are starting to pile on.
    That was specifically for demo of Nielson/Caruthers, Q4E, and a few other things. After a set time it will expire, what I'm guessing counselingdawg is getting at is the BoR's reinterpretation/ruling on the self-assessed student fee's not affecting the schools general transfer. If students wanted to put a fee in place of $20 a quarter that would equal and increase the athletic budget about $700k per year (not including summer)...

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by garddawg View Post
    I think Louisiana Tech needs to demonstrate to the students that they are good stewards of the student self-assessed fee that was recently passed before they can go back to the well again. Tech has to promote their projects to the student body with project signs, newspaper articles in the Tech Talk, and press releases.

The university has to demolish the Neilson and Caruthers dorms and clean away the rumble, start construction on the South Endzone project and the green space/intramural fields, and have plans ready to go on the rest of the projects to be financed with the new student self-assessed fee before asking for another fee from the students. That way, the university and the SGA leaders can say to the student body, "we've done all these projects with the fee passed last year. With your help again, we can accomplish A, B, and C in the next couple of years."

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by counselingdawg View Post
    What was the fee called that we paid in Fall enrollment and included attendance to all sports home games without additional admission cost? Who votes on that and has it grown very much per student over past 10 years. That is one that may need raising a little with CUSA membership as they will see better schools and teams at home games in more sports.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed at least 10 times throught the history of BB&B and somewhere in the equation it has been determined that it doesn't matter how big of a fee the students pass to go towards the athletic budget, it is offset by the limit that the university can transfer to the athletic department in relation to the university's general or overall budget. In other words, the university can't continue to transfer the same amount of money and then add the student assessed fees on top of that. It was a brilliant move by our LSU legislature to keep the state schools from being able to compete with LSU's athletics once they had achieved the abitility to forgo state funding. Has that rule changed? Or am I remembering it incorrectly?

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I'm pretty sure this has been discussed at least 10 times throught the history of BB&B and somewhere in the equation it has been determined that it doesn't matter how big of a fee the students pass to go towards the athletic budget, it is offset by the limit that the university can transfer to the athletic department in relation to the university's general or overall budget. In other words, the university can't continue to transfer the same amount of money and then add the student assessed fees on top of that. It was a brilliant move by our LSU legislature to keep the state schools from being able to compete with LSU's athletics once they had achieved the abitility to forgo state funding. Has that rule changed? Or am I remembering it incorrectly?
    Yes. The rule just changed. It kinda got lost in the CUSA party.

Puppy ptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her game

Give to LTAC, put butts in the seats, increase media revenue, win and go to post-season, etc. We need to get beyond the student fees and money games. That's the long term solution.

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

I agree ptaylor, but I also believe we must look at all potential revenue sources.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zharkins View Post
    Yes. The rule just changed. It kinda got lost in the CUSA party.
    Excellent.

+ Reply to Thread