+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big East Commissioner Resigns

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Big East Commissioner Resigns

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Sheesh! some of you have such backstabbing, devious minds. Divide and conquer? Backroom deals?

Remind me to never enter into a partnership with any of you.
    It would be nice if we had the sort of system where conference loyalty mattered a great deal. We'd still be in Southwest Conference! Maybe you would be in a football-playing Metro Conference or C*USA v1.0. But (with the exception of Memphis) the departing schools were all placed with other in-state schools that there is not a great anxiousness to join up with. Particularly with UCF and USF with regards to FIU, but also with UH and SMU with both UNT and UTSA (I don't think it would be as much of a problem if there was only one of those two). And... an 18-team central-and-eastern conference has limited appeal. And if we left anybody behind (if we were invited back but the others stiffed), that would bring us back to the the disloyalty that we would be seeking to shun anyway.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

If that doomsday scenario were ever to come out then of course I'd want Tech to take it considering one reason I wanted in CUSA is because of Houston & SMU

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Parialex, interesting take on the "doomsday" scenario. I think the BB schools would fight to keep the BE name, and they can for all I care. But this would qualify as a new conference right? Something the NCAA is supposed not allowing at this point in time. But yeah, great for Tech if it came about like that. And no, we would not turn that offer down.

The "doomsday" scenario while possible, is not probable in my mind, unless one considers the the Louisville leaving as causing everything else to fall into place. Then yeah, it is very likely. Had to go to LU this morning to bring back my son's stuff from school, so I had 5 hours of sports talk radio to dwell on it and hear all this stuff over and over.... A whole lot of talk on the BE, the bad shape they are in, and what happens next.
    I consider the doomsday scenario unlikely as well. And yeah, basketball would likely keep the name as part of the divorce arrangement and the breakaway would be a new conference with a new name. As far as the alleged prohibition (I've heard it made reference to, but haven't seen it actually cited) I believe that this is a situation that calls for a waiver or alteration. Just as the NCAA has bent over backwards to give the WAC room to regroup, I think they would do the same here. The main rationale for such a rule is, I would have to guess, to prevent breakaways like the MWC from happening. But the MWC was a pro-active choice. This is six schools, four of which have been playing together for years and a fifth that played with three of the others for years before that, reacting to a landscape changing. Unable to restock (unless the basketball school relent), and trying to figure out what to do next. Shoehorning them into an 18-team conference is problematic. And we'd be going from 11 football conferences down to 10, so it's not a proliferation. It is one more basketball conference, but the conference they're moving away from don't rely on autobids for the tournament anyway.

If I'm wrong about that, or if the terms are so stiff that it's not workable, then yeah, we're looking at an 18-20 team Conference USA (any hope of UTEP leaving dissipated if UH and SMU come back). Conference USA won't pick-and-choose. Almost all of the leftover teams have more to offer than a majority of the teams presently within the conference. You don't leave that on the table.

Louisville is definitely going to play the role of the conference's Sour Sally. It's something that ECU and UCF gave us a lot of experience with in C*USA.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Puppy ptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her game

I think pride would overrule common sense in some decisions. Some schools would feel like they were being "demoted" by leaving the Big East and returning to C-USA or MWC. In reality, it's not a demotion. Things change. The Big East is not the same conference it was 12 months ago. Those of us not in one of the "big five" conferences should band together (belt/MAC not included) and work on elevating our product together toward those of the big five. There is power in numbers. I would argue that the MWC had been as strong as the Big East in football for several years. It was the glamour of preexisting BCS AQ status that tip the weight in Big East's favor. Now, that's gone, as is West Virginia, Pitt, and Syracuse. I'm just saying that if Louisville leaves, it is a further blow and I'm not sure there is enough quality points to get any in the top 4 playoffs.

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

In reality it was Case Keenum that got Houston on the BCS map recently and now that he's gone along with Sumlin, what's to say they won't suffer a drop off?

Quote Originally Posted by rebelboi View Post
    In reality it was Case Keenum that got Houston on the BCS map recently and now that he's gone along with Sumlin, what's to say they won't suffer a drop off?
    Before Keenum, we had Kolb. While we had Keenum, we had Blake Joseph who challenged Keenum seriously for the starting job. And before Sumlin, we had Briles. I don't expect many seasons like this previous one, but our nigh-top record in Conference USA isn't due to some one-off goldfind. Going to the Big East, we could become better than ever like Cincinnati, improve mildly like South Florida, or struggle like Louisville. Who knows? Drop-off is possible (Coach Levine may turn out to stink), we've had a solid amount of success over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by ptaylor View Post
    I think pride would overrule common sense in some decisions. Some schools would feel like they were being "demoted" by leaving the Big East and returning to C-USA or MWC. In reality, it's not a demotion. Things change. The Big East is not the same conference it was 12 months ago. Those of us not in one of the "big five" conferences should band together (belt/MAC not included) and work on elevating our product together toward those of the big five. There is power in numbers. I would argue that the MWC had been as strong as the Big East in football for several years. It was the glamour of preexisting BCS AQ status that tip the weight in Big East's favor. Now, that's gone, as is West Virginia, Pitt, and Syracuse. I'm just saying that if Louisville leaves, it is a further blow and I'm not sure there is enough quality points to get any in the top 4 playoffs.
    The MWC has had some great teams, but they also had some bad teams. The Big East lacked both TCUs and UNLVs. It's hard to compare. But the MWC that was (as far as I'm concerned) competitive with the BCS conferences (and not just the Big East) is no more. Nor was the Conference USA we had been playing in sustainable. And after the 2003 realignment, wasn't as good a fit for us as it will be for you (and I think my proposed Doomsday Conference would actually be better for you at any rate in comparison to a 13/14-team C*USA or 20-something team alliance).

Puppy ptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her game

For the record, I admire all that Houston has accomplished over the years. That's why I want to be associated with ya'll. I just think UH would have more success in a regionally based conference (in all sports) than with the left over Big East. Not that the Big East is stronger in competition, but it will lack in creating fan/student enthusiasm. Until you experience a far flung league where (minus SMU) your conference rivals are 1000+ miles away, you will never know until you get there. Trust us.

Quote Originally Posted by ptaylor View Post
    For the record, I admire all that Houston has accomplished over the years. That's why I want to be associated with ya'll. I just think UH would have more success in a regionally based conference (in all sports) than with the left over Big East. Not that the Big East is stronger in competition, but it will lack in creating fan/student enthusiasm. Until you experience a far flung league where (minus SMU) your conference rivals are 1000+ miles away, you will never know until you get there. Trust us.
    I do appreciate the thought and no slight taken. We were in a conference very much like the current Big East, though. SMU instead of TCU (though we weren't with TCU at the outset) and no Tulane this time around, but some of the other schools are the same (Louisville, Memphis, Cincinnati, USF) and others were really far out (Army, ECU). Geography is nonetheless a concern (it's one of the reasons I am less enthusiastic about Boise and SDSU). But I believe Conference USA is different for us than it is for you. Most of the nearby schools we played were ones small-ish privates, our alumni base in other cities is comparatively small, and we don't travel well to games anyway. You guys have USM and UNT right next door, your alumni base is much more spread out, and you guys are much better travelers (so the appeal to driveable games is greater). That's in addition to the urban/rural university cultural divide, wherein you guys will have peer universities in USM and ECU (and Marshall in some ways though not in others) while we are taking our peer schools (except UAB and arguably UTEP) with us.

(For the record, that's what I meant when I talked about C*USA being a better deal for y'all than for us. I was hoping it wouldn't be misinterpreted as "we're too good for it and you're not" when I am not thinking along those lines for you or for us.)

This very well could backfire. Our time in C*USA v1.0 was certainly less than pleasant, though for reasons not having a whole lot to do with geography. In any event, as I've said, if UCF and SMU didn't tip our hand (and ECU enthusiastic about going if we didn't), I would be more concerned about it. Our admin isn't looking back at all, though, so it doesn't matter much at all what I think .

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

parialex...great words and I have always respected your opinion. Don't always agree with you but you made civil conversation without forcing an agenda down our throats and hope you will always be a part of this board as part of the TECH family. With that said, I thinks that chasing the money to the Big Easy for UH is a big mistake as we found out playing in the WAC. Yes at the time it was the best option for us. But having to travel half way across the country through two different time zones and half way across the world to play Hawaii...that got old for everyone...even for our conference mates. As the economy went south, so did the resources to sustain that especially for the programs that aren't money makers. Yeah they liked us when it was convenient for them. but when it came down to finances, they wanted us out as much as we did in a more regional setting to alleviate the inconvenience for the athletes and fans. I just personaly feel that now that the whole AQ business is a thing of the past, UH would be better served back in CUSA where you belong. Just my thoughts!

Bulldog hisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the ears

If louisville and cincinatti to big XII then look for Notre Dame and UConn to ACC. Big east will crumble into a catholic school basketball league leaving new additions and rutgers high and dry.

The Big 12 will invite Louisville once they get Notre Dame to agree to join the conference. Arkansas would work, too. If these sound unlikely to you, it's because... they are. But that's the problem with the "Louisville to the Big 12" talk. There is no #12 and Louisville is not, I do not believe, worth going to 11 for. For reasons I simply do not understand, they don't seem to be taking Cincinnati seriously. Beyond that there is Rutgers, Air Force, and BYU. I think it's hard to get any consensus around Rutgers, Air Force appears uninterested, and they couldn't get on the same page as BYU. This, combined with the lucrative new deal that the Big 12 has already negotiated, is why Louisville hasn't been invited yet and why I think that there is a really good chance they won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotsudo View Post
    parialex...great words and I have always respected your opinion. Don't always agree with you but you made civil conversation without forcing an agenda down our throats and hope you will always be a part of this board as part of the TECH family. With that said, I thinks that chasing the money to the Big Easy for UH is a big mistake as we found out playing in the WAC. Yes at the time it was the best option for us. But having to travel half way across the country through two different time zones and half way across the world to play Hawaii...that got old for everyone...even for our conference mates. As the economy went south, so did the resources to sustain that especially for the programs that aren't money makers. Yeah they liked us when it was convenient for them. but when it came down to finances, they wanted us out as much as we did in a more regional setting to alleviate the inconvenience for the athletes and fans. I just personaly feel that now that the whole AQ business is a thing of the past, UH would be better served back in CUSA where you belong. Just my thoughts!
    I appreciate the good words. Time will tell, I think. Back when we went from C*USA v1.0 (a lot like the Big East now) to v2.0 (the more regional variation), I was actually kind of excited about it and thought TCU was making a mistake by leaving it. It didn't work out as well as I had hoped. I do think it will work out better for you. From here we (as in UH) will have to see what the TV contract looks like, how well we perform, and what the future configuration of the conference looks like. It's anybody's guess.

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    I appreciate the good words. Time will tell, I think. Back when we went from C*USA v1.0 (a lot like the Big East now) to v2.0 (the more regional variation), I was actually kind of excited about it and thought TCU was making a mistake by leaving it. It didn't work out as well as I had hoped. I do think it will work out better for you. From here we (as in UH) will have to see what the TV contract looks like, how well we perform, and what the future configuration of the conference looks like. It's anybody's guess.
    Well I wish you guys a lot of luck but still wish you were in CUSA. I live in Abilene and am a Wylie HS season ticket holder and had the opportunity to watch Case Keenum play ball on several occasions when he was in HS. Know his parents very well...good people!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    For reasons I simply do not understand, they don't seem to be taking Cincinnati seriously.
    Are you kidding? Seriously? Do you really think Cincinnati has ANY brand value in the state of Texas, or for the Big X11? Don't be silly.

Nobody's gong to invite Cincinnati FOOTBALL to anything. Just dumb.

HD

+ Reply to Thread