+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Admissions Department

Champ dchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to all dchi72's Avatar

Admissions Department

Gotta just vent on this...

My oldest son is a Junior in Frisco. Took his SAT in the fall (nice score - better than mine 25 years ago) and has a 3.4 unweighted GPA (over a 4.0 on a 5.0 weighted scale).

His email inbox, USPS mail, and voice mail are being bombarded with recruiters from all across the country! University of Iowa, Iowa State, OU, Texas A&M, SMU, ACU, just to name a few. Starting to lose track of them all. The only communication from Tech's admission office? A postcard and phone call telling him that it not too late to enroll for the fall of 2012....How is it that Tech is the ONLY university that has him listed as a Senior?

If it was not for the aviation department, he would never hear from Tech. Gary Odom has done all his own recruiting. Everyone in our family is a Tech alum. You would think they would make an effort to recruit these kids. I turned in a list of 21 kids in my scout troop who are attaining thier Eagle Scout this year and will graduate in the next 12 months. I turned this list in back in October. Several of these kids are REALLY interested in Tech. Not one has been contacted - by letter, email, phone call, nothing.

It is about time that someone in the admissions department learn some marketing/sales skills.

Thank you for listening. I am done bitching.

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar

Re: Admissions Departme nt

I agree. I teach at Coppell High School which puts out some of the best students in the metroplex. 10 to 15 times a year there are tables set up in the commons with Universities represented. Of course all the Texas schools are here. Out of state schools I've seen on multiple occasions OU, OSU, LSU, ISU, KU, KSU, Ark, Alabama, Auburn and the list goes on and on. I've never seen La Tech represented. I'm always touting Tech to the students as a high quality affordable eduction. I hear of a few kids each year heading to Ruston, but we should be actively recruiting in the best schools of the metroplex.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

We get one of these threads about this time every year. I think I started one about 5 years ago when my first child was about to graduate high school.

All I can say is that we don't spend as much money on marketing as some other schools, but we are maintaining above grade in that area. I'm not sure we can stand to grow much faster with all the ridiculous cuts we have faced.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Our admissions department works very hard in recruiting Texas. I'm not sure why Frisco is not wrapped up, but I do know they focus on events in the metro areas.
    However, this is another department at TECH that is understaffed. I know they welcome input and hours from alumni.

http://www.latech.edu/admissions/meet_our_staff.shtml

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by NTXDawg View Post
    I agree. I teach at Coppell High School which puts out some of the best students in the metroplex. 10 to 15 times a year there are tables set up in the commons with Universities represented. Of course all the Texas schools are here. Out of state schools I've seen on multiple occasions OU, OSU, LSU, ISU, KU, KSU, Ark, Alabama, Auburn and the list goes on and on. I've never seen La Tech represented. I'm always touting Tech to the students as a high quality affordable eduction. I hear of a few kids each year heading to Ruston, but we should be actively recruiting in the best schools of the metroplex.
    I can't speak for how things work at Tech Admissions currently but 8-9 years ago, I personally visited Coppell several times. Otherwise, Tech has to go where they get the most bang for their buck because the staff is so small. Typically that means hitting the metro fairs but I personally recruited Coppell, Plano, Allen pretty hard and then hit big fairs in Richardson, Mesquite, Forth Worth and Arlington. We tried Highland Park several times but there was little to no interest there. I even took along two engineering school representatives with me. More often than not, people look at our name and think tech school rather than engineering school and pass by.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Admissions Department

Quote Originally Posted by dchi72 View Post
    Gotta just vent on this...

My oldest son is a Junior in Frisco. Took his SAT in the fall (nice score - better than mine 25 years ago) and has a 3.4 unweighted GPA (over a 4.0 on a 5.0 weighted scale).

His email inbox, USPS mail, and voice mail are being bombarded with recruiters from all across the country! University of Iowa, Iowa State, OU, Texas A&M, SMU, ACU, just to name a few. Starting to lose track of them all. The only communication from Tech's admission office? A postcard and phone call telling him that it not too late to enroll for the fall of 2012....How is it that Tech is the ONLY university that has him listed as a Senior?

If it was not for the aviation department, he would never hear from Tech. Gary Odom has done all his own recruiting. Everyone in our family is a Tech alum. You would think they would make an effort to recruit these kids. I turned in a list of 21 kids in my scout troop who are attaining their Eagle Scout this year and will graduate in the next 12 months. I turned this list in back in October. Several of these kids are REALLY interested in Tech. Not one has been contacted - by letter, email, phone call, nothing.

It is about time that someone in the admissions department learn some marketing/sales skills.

Thank you for listening. I am done bitching.
    Now that is impressive!!

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

It's actually the Recruiting department, which is slightly different than admissions, but yes they do a horrible job, I've ranted on this before and the only thing I can see is that Tech purposefully does not recruit to keep enrollment down so to help control budget... Seems a little crazy to me...

Champ dchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to all dchi72's Avatar

Tech did show up to the Frisco ISD college night. All 6 high schools attend the same event.

The kid was just sitting there. Not engaging the students. Not working the crowd. I felt like I was selling him instead of him selling me.

He had no talking points, no pitch, just fill out this card and we will send you information.

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

Link to recruiting facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/#!/LaTechRecruiting

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shreveportdawg View Post
    Link to recruiting facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/#!/LaTechRecruiting
    Yeah I've blasted them twice on Facebook, even sent emails to the heads of the department...

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Tech is looking into ways to improve this.

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Tech is looking into ways to improve this.
    $$$

I think the department is way underfunded, operates mostly with student recruiters going out to HS, no packets/media to distribute to counselers/high schools.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by solo1001 View Post
    I can't speak for how things work at Tech Admissions currently but 8-9 years ago, I personally visited Coppell several times. Otherwise, Tech has to go where they get the most bang for their buck because the staff is so small. Typically that means hitting the metro fairs but I personally recruited Coppell, Plano, Allen pretty hard and then hit big fairs in Richardson, Mesquite, Forth Worth and Arlington. We tried Highland Park several times but there was little to no interest there. I even took along two engineering school representatives with me. More often than not, people look at our name and think tech school rather than engineering school and pass by.

I would guess Duke and the status/pricey universities recruit the hell out of Highland Park plus the SMUs, UTs.

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    I would guess Duke and the status/pricey universities recruit the hell out of Highland Park plus the SMUs, UTs.
    Most definitely but even at the Fort Worth fair and some of the schools in the New Orleans area, we were set up with several of the technical schools. Highland Park as well as some of the private schools around Dallas and Houston were sites to behold. Packets and media being sent to high schools are a thing of the past. With social media and the digital age, departments save a ton on printing costs so don't look for that anymore.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solo1001 View Post
    With social media and the digital age, departments save a ton on printing costs so don't look for that anymore.
    I know Aubrey is thankful for that. Good way to save money.

+ Reply to Thread