+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Boise State having second thoughts on Big East move?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Boise State having second thoughts on Big East move?

Boise will be in no worse shape that Houston or SMU. It will be interesting to see if they can build their basketball programs up, because football won't be king in that conference. My prediction is Boise will fare better than the other two, though. I think they will whip butt in football, still be high in the rankings, and end up in a better conference than they started in just a couple of years.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Boise just lost a QB that only lost 3 games in 4 years by a total of 5 points. Arkansas is going to throw 4-5 million a year at Peterson and he will be gone. Boise fans better get ready for some losing seasons. The travel to the east coast will just increase their problems and they'll soon find out that this was a very bad move.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Boise will be in no worse shape that Houston or SMU. It will be interesting to see if they can build their basketball programs up, because football won't be king in that conference. My prediction is Boise will fare better than the other two, though. I think they will whip butt in football, still be high in the rankings, and end up in a better conference than they started in just a couple of years.
    That's a silly statement. Houston and SMU are full members of the Big East. Boise State is a football-only member of the Big East, and nobody knows if the Broncos non-football sports have a conference home. Houston and SMU are in much better shape than Boise State.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

I don't know how well this is going to turn out for Boise St. but things aren't getting off to a good start. It looks like, in order to join the Big West, they will have to pay the conference to help cover everyone's travel like Hawaii is doing. Now that they will be getting some Big East money, the Big West will probably be asking for more than what Hawaii is going to give.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    That's a silly statement. Houston and SMU are full members of the Big East. Boise State is a football-only member of the Big East, and nobody knows if the Broncos non-football sports have a conference home. Houston and SMU are in much better shape than Boise State.
    You are correct, but Boise will be fine if they can get in the Big West and increase their bball strength. I doubt Peterson is going anywhere soon. He has shown to be faithful. Also, their back up QB has shown that he can get the job done already.

I am just saying that football should get them somewhere still, if they remain at the top. They need to invest that in bball and get into a better conference, though, for all their sports. I still don't think they are in that much worse shape than Houston or SMU. Those two are going to get killed in basketball unless they REALLY step it up......

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct, but Boise will be fine if they can get in the Big West and increase their bball strength. I doubt Peterson is going anywhere soon. He has shown to be faithful. Also, their back up QB has shown that he can get the job done already.

I am just saying that football should get them somewhere still, if they remain at the top. They need to invest that in bball and get into a better conference, though, for all their sports. I still don't think they are in that much worse shape than Houston or SMU. Those two are going to get killed in basketball unless they REALLY step it up......
    Yeah, you're right, they need to get all their sports in a good conference. The MWC would be a good fit.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Why would the Big West or any other league want Boise State's non-football sports? San Diego State offers a great MBB program, close geography, good academics, big market, and a good baseball program. Hawaii provides a great recruiting pitch, good academics, a good baseball program, and a travel subsidy. Boise State doesn't offer any value for anything other than football. The Big West will have 10 members, a perfect number for basketball scheduling. Why screw that up to throw a lifeline to Boise State? BSU would be a geographical outlier in any conference except for the MWC or Big Sky, and neither wants Boise State without their football program.

Just wondering why Boise would jump to the Big East without having a conference for their other sports and this is one conclusion I came up with. They will go to the Big East and tell them that the only way they can join in football is that they have to take their other sports, too, because they cannot find a local conference to take them. Knowing that the Big East will not do this, Boise figures that the Big East will let them out of the 5 million fee rather than take them in all sports and they go back to the MWC and it doesn't cost them a penny.

Champ DFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really nice DFWDawg's Avatar

It looks like Boise will go to the BE afterall, http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...ference-070112. The article does not say what will happen with other sports.

"Boise State has informed the Mountain West Conference that it will be leaving after the 2012-13 school year, according to multiple reports."

"UNLV president Neal Smatresk told the Las Vegas Review Journal that he received Boise State's withdrawal letter."

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Why would the Big West or any other league want Boise State's non-football sports? San Diego State offers a great MBB program, close geography, good academics, big market, and a good baseball program. Hawaii provides a great recruiting pitch, good academics, a good baseball program, and a travel subsidy. Boise State doesn't offer any value for anything other than football. The Big West will have 10 members, a perfect number for basketball scheduling. Why screw that up to throw a lifeline to Boise State? BSU would be a geographical outlier in any conference except for the MWC or Big Sky, and neither wants Boise State without their football program.
    The Big Sky has aggressively recruited Idaho, with or without football. I still don't see Boise State as being the problem you do for that particular conference. Even if there is some reluctance on the basis that BSU is too good, it wouldn't take a big payoff to make it worth their while.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

They are going to have to invest their football money into basketball. That means that they must remain at the top in football, which I think they can do.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I wondered this myself back when the WAC let them bring their non-football sports back.

The only thing I could come up with was that the WAC was just adding as many bodies as possible as insurance against having too few teams to even remain viable as a basketball conference. But the only problem with that, is that they still didn't add enough schools (at least, they haven't yet).

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Boise just lost a QB that only lost 3 games in 4 years by a total of 5 points. Arkansas is going to throw 4-5 million a year at Peterson and he will be gone. Boise fans better get ready for some losing seasons. The travel to the east coast will just increase their problems and they'll soon find out that this was a very bad move.
    one thing that Boise does NOT have to worry about is Peterson leaving for Arkansas. Oregon or USC might be the only jobs out there that peterson would take. I believe he has already turned down UCLA and maybe even overtures by Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    The Big Sky has aggressively recruited Idaho, with or without football. I still don't see Boise State as being the problem you do for that particular conference. Even if there is some reluctance on the basis that BSU is too good, it wouldn't take a big payoff to make it worth their while.
    I'd rather be in a conference with Idaho than non-football Boise State. Idaho was the best academic school in the WAC, and Boise State Truck Driving Academy was 2nd worst in the FBS only ahead of ULM. Idaho is a perfect fit for the Big Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I wondered this myself back when the WAC let them bring their non-football sports back.

The only thing I could come up with was that the WAC was just adding as many bodies as possible as insurance against having too few teams to even remain viable as a basketball conference. But the only problem with that, is that they still didn't add enough schools (at least, they haven't yet).
    Yep. I think the reason the WAC invited back Boise State was survival, and it didn't hurt that Utah State, San Jose State, Louisiana Tech, UTSA, Texas State, and UT-Arlington needed the dominoes to keep falling to get out of the WAC.

+ Reply to Thread