+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stipend for needy athletes

Varsity Bulldog old dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Stipend for needy athletes

From what I understand the NCAA is trying to decide whether or not to allow schools to pay athletes an amount of money to cover out of pocket costs associated with their college education. One of the proposals is only to pay needy athletes, but then they aren't sure how to determine which athletes are needy.

If the big schools are really concerned with the athletes, and not just looking for another advantage over the smaller budget schools, I have the solution. All they need to do is determine a set amount of money to give to each Division One school, and let the school decide how to distribute the money. The NCAA could set a Dollar limit on the amount any one athlete could receive each year, to keep schools from giving all the money to a Reggie Bush type athlete.

The funds could come out of the BCS bucket before the funds are distributed to the conferences which are in the BCS bowls, or in whatever replaces the BCS. For example $15,000,000 could be set aside for the student athletes, distributed equally among the 100+ Division One schools. That would probably be enough to help the needy players, and would leave plenty for the Championship series (whatever the format) to split up.

Other than greed of the bigger schools, anyone see a problem with this?:icon_wink:

Varsity Bulldog VegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the ears

Re: Stipend for needy athletes

Weren't needy students/atheletes already getting a stipend through a Pell Grant?

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Are they needy if they drive an Escalade?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old dawg View Post
    The funds could come out of the BCS bucket before the funds are distributed
    I like the way you're thinking, but ...

The NCAA has no control over the bcs. Much less the bcs cash.

Nice try though.

Varsity Bulldog old dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I like the way you're thinking, but ...

The NCAA has no control over the bcs. Much less the bcs cash.

Nice try though.
    I didn't know details but I was fairly certain that the big budget guys would have to agree to take the funds out of the BCS pot, which is the reason I mentioned "greed".

Unfortunately I believe the real reason for this push is not the athlete, but the recruiting advantage it would give some athletic departments.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I don't like it. I think this whole "money" thing blurs the difference between an amateur athlete and a professional athlete. It also opens a huge can of worms. Nothing opens up the opportunity for manipulation and abuse like MONEY.

You want money? Go to the NFL. What's this? You're not good enough for the NFL? Okay, then you can stay in college and live like the rest of the college kids on campus. Except your education will be PAID FOR by the university, and you have the advantage of organized study groups, tutors for athletes, free meals, free video games at the field house, etc......

HD

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I don't like it. I think this whole "money" thing blurs the difference between an amateur athlete and a professional athlete. It also opens a huge can of worms. Nothing opens up the opportunity for manipulation and abuse like MONEY.

You want money? Go to the NFL. What's this? You're not good enough for the NFL? Okay, then you can stay in college and live like the rest of the college kids on campus. Except your education will be PAID FOR by the university, and you have the advantage of organized study groups, tutors for athletes, free meals, free video games at the field house, etc......

HD
    Can't say I disagree with you, but there may be some exceptions like the guy at Clemson (I think) whose parents died and he was taking care of his kid brother. Anyway the big boys keep pushing this so it will probably happen eventually.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Can't say I disagree with you, but there may be some exceptions like the guy at Clemson (I think) whose parents died and he was taking care of his kid brother. Anyway the big boys keep pushing this so it will probably happen eventually.
    That was an exceptional exception and for someone like him, the community and government (state and federal) have programs and other means of helping him get by.

No, there should never be a stipend for college athletes unless you plan on paying the stipend to every other student as well. Yes, athletes eat a lot of time with practices, workouts, etc. That does not diminish that they have free food, free housing, free education, and a host of other freebies not available to anyone else. Anything else they want beyond that is not the responsibility of the university and other students to provide them.

Remember, it is a choice to be an athlete.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Are they needy if they drive an Escalade?
    Of course, those things are gas guzzlers!

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

How about a stipend for needy fans....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    That was an exceptional exception and for someone like him, the community and government (state and federal) have programs and other means of helping him get by.

No, there should never be a stipend for college athletes unless you plan on paying the stipend to every other student as well. Yes, athletes eat a lot of time with practices, workouts, etc. That does not diminish that they have free food, free housing, free education, and a host of other freebies not available to anyone else. Anything else they want beyond that is not the responsibility of the university and other students to provide them.

Remember, it is a choice to be an athlete.

I agree, even non athlete students with and without scholly's have to drive back and forth to campus and have other expenses that just come with the territory. There would have to be 11,000 equal checks paid out to Tech students for it to be equal treatment.

I was not arguing in favor of a stipend, just proposing a method to keep lower budget schools competitive, if the NCAA passes that type of thing.

But when I think about it, Tech would probably only be hurt if other CUSA or MWC schools paid stipends and Tech didn't. Kids that sign with Tech that were offered by SEC or other big conference schools would probably sign anyway

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I was not arguing in favor of a stipend, just proposing a method to keep lower budget schools competitive, if the NCAA passes that type of thing.

But when I think about it, Tech would probably only be hurt if other CUSA or MWC schools paid stipends and Tech didn't. Kids that sign with Tech that were offered by SEC or other big conference schools would probably sign anyway
    If this silly "stipend" rule passes, it won't be 5 years before we'll have "bidding wars" for athletes on recruiting day. I can't see how anything good comes from this.

HD

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

OMG! I agree 100% with Hogdawg. Not to mention that the silly stipends will be an additional cost Louisiana universities cannot afford.

Good job, HD! If you keep at it long enough you occasionally get some right! :icon_wink:

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

How is "need" defined?
    Food and shelter seem to be covered?
    Transportation doesn't seem to be a problem around the typical campus?
    I'm just curious.

+ Reply to Thread