+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stipend for needy athletes

Big Dog WonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of light WonderDawg's Avatar

Re: Stipend for needy athletes

I have said before if it goes through, I will stop my support. They are getting a free education. I was not gifted with those physical properties, and had to work my way through.

Varsity Bulldog old dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by WonderDawg View Post
    I have said before if it goes through, I will stop my support. They are getting a free education. I was not gifted with those physical properties, and had to work my way through.
    I did too. Worked for JT Richardson Construction company, graded papers for one of the accounting professors, got a student loan, and as a freshman ran a splicing machine in the tape library for (no kidding) $1.00 per hour.

But playing the devil's advocate, I'm not sure athletes are allowed to take jobs, so if they are from a family that is dirt poor (as mine was), how would they get money to take a girl on a date, or go to a movie?

By the way does anyone know if JT Richardson Construction company is still in business?

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    No, there should never be a stipend for college athletes unless you plan on paying the stipend to every other student as well. Yes, athletes eat a lot of time with practices, workouts, etc. That does not diminish that they have free food, free housing, free education, and a host of other freebies not available to anyone else. Anything else they want beyond that is not the responsibility of the university and other students to provide them.

Remember, it is a choice to be an athlete.
    Where the hell do you get your information? I have a son who is an athlete for Tech and gets none of this (bolded part, with one minor exception). No, he is not a scholarship player (athletic that is) but is a walk on but those on scholarships, at least in his sport, do not get a complete free ride like you're indicating. The minor exception is that when the team travels, the players get a monetary stipend so they can buy their own food. And even then, due to the locations they go to, the stipend they receive might not cover a "normal" daily food cost (Hawaii for example). Maybe "certain" scholarship athletes, in certain sports, get some of these perks but to make a blanket statement, like you have, that "athletes" get all their stuff free is not generally true.

I'm in agreement with a lot on here in regards to the stipend debate. Money tends to rule (and usually ruin) everything and bringing in money for some will make it tougher on all the other students in the long run.

For those of you who have said that you will stop supporting the programs if the players get a stipend because the players get a free education, then I ask you; Does every player on every team that Tech sponsors have a full scholarship? The answer is no. So since you will not support the program if a stipend is given, then those non-full or no scholarship players will suffer due to your lack of support.

I don't like the stipends at all but think about what you are saying and quit making blanket statements about athletes.
    Last edited by LABulldog; 05-16-2012 at 02:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread