+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ODU To Announce Move To CUSA In Presser Today

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Re: ODU To Announce Move To CUSA In Presser Today

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    After the recent merger debacle in the legislature and the idiotic way this state legislature micromanages higher-ed, I think DR has done a fantastic job... look at every other 4-year college not named lsu a&m-br....
    By way of extreme example, Hitler did a fantastic job of roadbuilding, while at the same time setting Germany on a path of ruination.

Just because you accomplish some good, that is not an automatic qualifier for having done a good job. Only by understanding the extent of what he failed to do, things which were in his control, can you understand the magnitude of his failure. The merger is the most recent example. DR failed to accept the fact that his job is first and foremost, political, not academic. A PRIMARY responsibility is to understand the State's political structure and to cultivate allies. Had DR done so over the past quarter century, the merger chance of success would have been hugely increased. Another PRIMARY responsibility that he utterly ignored is endowment growth. Had he acted responsibly and with a sense of urgency over 25 years in this regard, we would not now be so impacted by each successive budget cut and would in much better shape to underwrite athletic needs. Another PRIMARY responsibility which he utterly ignored is the coordination of athletics and academics into a seamless identity of quality so that the public perception of Tech is always bolstered despite the venue, be it athletic or academic.

Had DR made any effort previously, we would long ago have been a CUSA member. Who can know what we might have achieved in this latest round of conference realignment had we been steadily growing all these wasted years?

You want to praise the growth of a penny to a dime. I condemn the foreseeable failure to grow a penny into a fortune. And yes, it's fair to judge what didn't happen because had DR undertaken any primary responsibilities, even modest projections over 25 years would have us at a remarkably loftier position than we find ourselves today.

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

Dan Reneau is our president, and I believe he will be our president for the near future. We will get more done by trying to help him rather than demean him.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    By way of extreme example, Hitler did a fantastic job of roadbuilding, while at the same time setting Germany on a path of ruination.

Just because you accomplish some good, that is not an automatic qualifier for having done a good job. Only by understanding the extent of what he failed to do, things which were in his control, can you understand the magnitude of his failure. The merger is the most recent example. DR failed to accept the fact that his job is first and foremost, political, not academic. A PRIMARY responsibility is to understand the State's political structure and to cultivate allies. Had DR done so over the past quarter century, the merger chance of success would have been hugely increased. Another PRIMARY responsibility that he utterly ignored is endowment growth. Had he acted responsibly and with a sense of urgency over 25 years in this regard, we would not now be so impacted by each successive budget cut and would in much better shape to underwrite athletic needs. Another PRIMARY responsibility which he utterly ignored is the coordination of athletics and academics into a seamless identity of quality so that the public perception of Tech is always bolstered despite the venue, be it athletic or academic.

Had DR made any effort previously, we would long ago have been a CUSA member. Who can know what we might have achieved in this latest round of conference realignment had we been steadily growing all these wasted years?

You want to praise the growth of a penny to a dime. I condemn the foreseeable failure to grow a penny into a fortune. And yes, it's fair to judge what didn't happen because had DR undertaken any primary responsibilities, even modest projections over 25 years would have us at a remarkably loftier position than we find ourselves today.
    I know we've butted heads on this subject, and I agree that DR did neglect athletics and set us back; however, I still think he did a far better job overall guiding the university than the most given the same circumstances...

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

All you are and can argue about is sports. Stick to that. Yes, DR sucked for sports. But, he has been good for the university. You need to look no further than Tech being Tier 1. Yes, he could have done more. He also could have done less and maintained the status quo. Instead, Tech is in prime position to completely drawf every other 4-year university in the state and begin the path of competing against LSU with outside sources. That is his successor's job, not DR. DR has laid a great foundation for making Tech everything we want it to be. The successor is to make it a realization.

Big Dog olddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rough

DR is who he is. However, where would we be if he would listen and fight for the changes we want to see in our athletic programs rather than having his mind already made up. Really, that is unfair because I believe he frequently has his mind made for him by other interests. That type of political ambition is good for the individual but never for the entity he should be serving. Until the cause is taken up by the likes of the Davidsons, TB, and DJB - the largest segment of LaTECH fans is simply stepped on and over.
    For example, JO was placed at TECH and killed us our first years in the WAC. It is my belief that DR had no choice if he wanted to push the nano-engineering and other academic platforms forward. I cannot defend DR in regards to Athletics, which like it or not or agree with me or not, is the window the world sees you through and plants the seeds in future students minds about where they would like to attend college. Successful athletic programs are your greatest advertisement!
    However, I am not so blind as to be unable to realize that he did what he thought would promote academics on campus to the greatest degree. DR is in a compromised position because he must do what he can while calming the fears of those he reports to that TECH is in the process of becoming a threat to LSU and whether you believe it or not, the perception that TECH is becoming a legit threat is a key reason the lsu-s merger did not happen. DR's presidency is far from a tenable position if you rock the boat too much while desiring to keep your job and I believe he alluded to this very scenario in his speech while accepting the invitation into C-USA.
    In this regard, it seems to me that DR has been very much the politician in his efforts to lead Louisiana Tech in the pursuit of becoming THE academic powerhouse in Louisiana and the concensus #2 athletic program. I believe that DR truely feels that he has taken LaTECH, due to the political minefield of developing the athletic program, farther than anyone else could have. He may be correct in this belief, but like the song says - You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything! Those of us on this board who demand that the athletic programs at Louisiana Tech should be competitive at the highest level want DR to stand for this, but I am certain it would cost him his job.
    As such, I do not expect that DR will stand up and fight for that which I wish to see. Additionally, I very much believe that from this point forward, we will see political blocks for most any improvement LaTECH could make that would enhance our chances of putting ourselves in a position to become one of the sacred 64, except for those that we do ourselves. What do I mean by this? Well, let me just throw this out there as an example - How many speeding tickets can Davidson really afford? Yes Sir, such pressure can be brought to bear when the status quo is in jeopardy.
    Last edited by olddog29; 05-17-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    All you are and can argue about is sports. Stick to that. Yes, DR sucked for sports. But, he has been good for the university. You need to look no further than Tech being Tier 1. Yes, he could have done more. He also could have done less and maintained the status quo. Instead, Tech is in prime position to completely drawf every other 4-year university in the state and begin the path of competing against LSU with outside sources. That is his successor's job, not DR. DR has laid a great foundation for making Tech everything we want it to be. The successor is to make it a realization.
    Ouch! (I haven't seen you at any Foundation Director's meetings!)

All who disagree certainly have every right to your opinion. But you truly have a fundamental misunderstanding of the job description.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    I can't wait to play them in WBB.
    Me either (said with a lisp)

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Funniest thing you have said......ever

Big Dog TN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to allTN Dawg 13 is a name known to all

You all have La higher ed all wrong. I think it has been ahead of its time. Rob from the rich, redistribute money, and make everyone else as equal as possible - just above poverty. With a ruling class of course - that knows better than the underlings. This all said with just a hint of sarcastic truth.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Ouch! (I haven't seen you at any Foundation Director's meetings!)
    I'm not reaching for more than what I am. However, you're argument that DR has been bad for the university, as a whole, falls flat. I haven't seen anyone disagree with you, including me, when it comes to DR's legacy with sports. It's a given. He absolutely dropped the ball on it. But when you venture into the true purpose of the school, academics, you are always wrong. Again, you have to look no further than Tech being Tier 1. The only thing I could think right now would that could be done more is raising the ranking in Tier 1 and becoming AAU, which seems to be damn near impossible both because of this ass-backwards state and AAU's criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    I'm not reaching for more than what I am. However, you're argument that DR has been bad for the university, as a whole, falls flat. I haven't seen anyone disagree with you, including me, when it comes to DR's legacy with sports. It's a given. He absolutely dropped the ball on it. But when you venture into the true purpose of the school, academics, you are always wrong. Again, you have to look no further than Tech being Tier 1. The only thing I could think right now would that could be done more is raising the ranking in Tier 1 and becoming AAU, which seems to be damn near impossible both because of this ass-backwards state and AAU's criteria.
    Once again you fail to grasp that endowment is an integral element of academics. Graduation commencement just began - I'll be back!

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Thimply Awthum!
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the topic, did they make the announcement?

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Back to the topic, did they make the announcement?
    Yes.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...conference-usa

+ Reply to Thread