+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The LA voucher program and religion

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

The LA voucher program and religion

Parents can choose to move their kids from failing schools into a private voucher program if spots are open. One example is the New Living Word school in Ruston, which has caused some controversy with the number of vouchers awarded compared to available space.

Anyhow, these vouchers can go to religious schools. Private Baptist, Catholic, etc that integrate Christian teachings into everyday study topics such as math and science.

A lot of people are ok with this.

Thoughts?

Now how about for Muslim schools? Comfortable sending state tax dollars for the education/indoctrination of Muslim kids?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: The LA voucher program and religion

I do not see a problem. No religion is being preferred or denied. The parents that choose religious schools, however, need to pay attention to the fact they are sending their kids to religious schools and as such will be indoctrinated to whatever religious teachings those schools have. Unfortunately, in this sue happy society, lawsuits against those schools are inevitable.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I know that Cedar Creek turned down the offer. Also, I heard that NLW is "charging" the same amount as CC and other prominent private schools in our state without the history and reputation for excellence. I worry about how this will affect our public schools because that is where the money is diverted from. Our schools are in bad shape, that is absolutely true. How are they supposed to improve without funds?

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Parents can choose to move their kids from failing schools into a private voucher program if spots are open. One example is the New Living Word school in Ruston, which has caused some controversy with the number of vouchers awarded compared to available space.

Anyhow, these vouchers can go to religious schools. Private Baptist, Catholic, etc that integrate Christian teachings into everyday study topics such as math and science.

A lot of people are ok with this.

Thoughts?

Now how about for Muslim schools? Comfortable sending state tax dollars for the education/indoctrination of Muslim kids?
    That is a slippery and dangerous slope. I attended Catholic schools for 12 years and received an excellant education. I don't like the idea of funding Muslim radical teaching but in order to monitor that, they would have to monitor the Catholic, Baptist and other Christian schools as well. I heard on the news here that there is a Muslim school in New Orleans that will accept vouchers. Much to think about. I don't have the answer on this.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

The vouchers for the school in Ruston are ridiculous. They haven't even built the space to accomodate them nor hired teachers to teach them. I find it difficult to believe that this private school is better than the public school they are leaving. I hope I am wrong.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    The vouchers for the school in Ruston are ridiculous. They haven't even built the space to accomodate them nor hired teachers to teach them. I find it difficult to believe that this private school is better than the public school they are leaving. I hope I am wrong.
    Well, do remember it's the parents making the decision. If that school in Ruston is a piece of crap, they won't get many students.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

State tax dollars should not go to fund religious schools.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Just wait. The only one's to benefit from this so-called reform will be the lawyers.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Well, do remember it's the parents making the decision. If that school in Ruston is a piece of crap, they won't get many students.
    Yes they will. There's no shortage of kids who can't cut it in the public school system whether it's because of grades or behavior or both. Not to mention the neighboring parishes that have parents that want to send/bus their children there as well at Lincoln Parish taxpayer expense! Any kid that's enrolled at that school will be promoted to the next grade level. There won't be anybody failing no matter how bad they perform in the classroom. Yes, they will be required to take standardized tests, but they will make dang sure all of 'em pass.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know how accurate this is, so take it with a grain of salt. I was told that the students at the school in question are taught by way of video conference or recorded lessons while a "teacher" oversees them. I was also told, as 88 eluded, that several of the students are problem kids who aren't permitted back into the public system. As I said, grain of salt.

Yeah, even though they don't have the computers, teachers, desks, classrooms, etc... The Rev Baldwin said they would be moving forward on "faith"instead. The Rev is going to charge $8,500 tuition per student which comes out roughly to $2.7M yearly. The school will be reviewed every 3 years for re-certification. Your taxpayer dollars at work folks!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I used to work for a religious private school in Alexandria. They declined to participate in the program because they didn't want the government dictating anything to them about the content. I applaud the schools that declined.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

The NLW church sounds like it might be getting 3 years worth of funding to expand their church.....and let them drop when the 3 year re-cert comes up.

Do any legislators attend that church? How'd they get approved?

The NLW church sounds like it might be getting 3 years worth of funding to expand their church.....and let them drop when the 3 year re-cert comes up.

Do any legislators attend that church? How'd they get approved?
    Rep. Gallot attends that church but I don't believe it's all that difficult. They filled out necessary paperwork and voila' you're approved! For some strange reason no site visits were required. Not to worry, it will all end up in court anyway.

+ Reply to Thread