+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Grilling

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    It’ll be a new experience for sure. Also trying a new thermometer. 4 probes with the wireless receiver so I don’t have to hover by the grill all afternoon.
    I think you can go as high as 350 (grate temp) on the BGE. Any tips to getting good smoke flavor on the BGE?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I have smoked chicken, turkey, ribs, and large cuts of pork on mine. Never as smoky as an offset, but decent smoke from the B&B lump(mesquite) combined with apple and pecan chunks. Also, I have tried low and slow, but my temp always seems to settle in at 235-240. I have to fight it to make it stay at 225. And I get white smoke at 225 anyway. Clean smoke hits at 235 or so. I haven’t found the formula to get deep penetrating smoke yet. I generally have success with good seasoned flavor more than smoke flavor.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoy the BGE. Cooks fast when you need to and doesn’t dry out protein. Also, it’s the first grill that I’ve owned that I didn’t have to throw away after 2 years. May have to invest in an offset one day.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Yeah. I had air flow trouble for a while, but the kick ash basket really helped with that. I always love the food on the BGE, just not as much smoke as I get out of my pit barrel cooker.

Can’t beat steaks on the BGE.

Absolutely not. When I was fresh out of college, my wife and I went to Logan’s Roadhouse in West Monroe. I noticed the steak was better than other restaurants. I asked the waiter how they cook them and he told me they had an egg out back. Huge indoor grill and they were churning out steak on an XL in the parking lot.

There are a ton of great off-sets right now. Lonestar Grillz in TX are supposed to be great. I’m half-heartedly saving up a Shirley Fabrication reverse flow right now. About a two-year wait!

I hit a long stall at 174, but we are climbing again. Looks good and holding moisture. Hope the flavor is there!

I hit a long stall at 174, but we are climbing again. Looks good and holding moisture. Hope the flavor is there!
    Did you wrap it?

Yeah, I wrapped at 162. It finished in just under 6 hours at 203 degrees. Resting in the cooler now. Also, I learned that my BGE thermostat was way off. Fixed that for the next go round.

Yeah, I wrapped at 162. It finished in just under 6 hours at 203 degrees. Resting in the cooler now. Also, I learned that my BGE thermostat was way off. Fixed that for the next go round.
    Be sure to give us a report on how it turned out. Got the egg up to about 650 this afternoon for some steaks. I was a little scared to go much over that given how cold it was. I even let it get hot nice and slow. It’s a great grill!

The point turned out great! Moist! Lots of moisture still in the flat, but not pull apart tender. It’s not shoe leather overdone, and it will still be good with some sauce. Trial and error baby! Guess I’ll have to buy another one soon!

The point turned out great! Moist! Lots of moisture still in the flat, but not pull apart tender. It’s not shoe leather overdone, and it will still be good with some sauce. Trial and error baby! Guess I’ll have to buy another one soon!
    Glad it turned out well. I think I’ll inject my next hot and fast brisket.

Injecting would be a good move for me next time too.

Went another round with a brisket. I will say this, my process was the same, but the brisket was Select instead of Choice. Going to find a premium next time because the Select was not good. Cooked steaks and sausage 2 nights ago. Man it was good!

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Went another round with a brisket. I will say this, my process was the same, but the brisket was Select instead of Choice. Going to find a premium next time because the Select was not good. Cooked steaks and sausage 2 nights ago. Man it was good!
    Prime brisket is worth it, IMO.

+ Reply to Thread