+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Grilling

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Grilling

Time to put new techniques to the test. Dry brining with baking powder and salt. Supposed to yield a nice crispy skin on smoked turkey. Churchwide T-giving meal this Sunday.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Time to put new techniques to the test. Dry brining with baking powder and salt. Supposed to yield a nice crispy skin on smoked turkey. Churchwide T-giving meal this Sunday.
    definitely let us know how that works out (and share the recipe if it's good).

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Turkey turned out great. One change I will make is to flip the bird in the pan and dust the opposite side one more time a couple of hours prior to smoking. Baking powder sluffed off overnight. I prefer Tony’s injection to Zataran’s, but the Z was good. After resting and carving, a little extra melted butter and Tony’s or home made rub over the top does the trick. Best render of the skin I have ever gotten yet.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Turkey turned out great. One change I will make is to flip the bird in the pan and dust the opposite side one more time a couple of hours prior to smoking. Baking powder sluffed off overnight. I prefer Tony’s injection to Zataran’s, but the Z was good. After resting and carving, a little extra melted butter and Tony’s or home made rub over the top does the trick. Best render of the skin I have ever gotten yet.
    Did you use kosher salt?

I think it was sea salt

Any of you cook a brisket on an electric smoker? My dad tried one for first time and it came out very pot roasty. Is that just the nature of that style cooker or can you get around that with prep it technique?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Any of you cook a brisket on an electric smoker? My dad tried one for first time and it came out very pot roasty. Is that just the nature of that style cooker or can you get around that with prep it technique?
    IMO, brisket is difficult to keep moist. Low and slow in the oven seems to be fool proof using coke, sprite, etc. to keep it moist. I've had them turn out good on the grill or smoker with no direct heat, but not every time. The cut of the brisket is most important. They just cost too much to experiment on/with. Cooking butts is the least expensive way to experiment.

I have some extra deer meat that I'm making jerky out of. Anybody done this? I've read some about it, but the first batch didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.

We are going to experiment with venison jerky soon. I’ll let you know how it turns out,

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

I've never personally cooked one on an electric smoker, but I've eaten a brisket that was cooked on one. I would describe it similarly, so it may have something to do with how the electric smokers work. I've never owned one so I can't really offer much more than that. I cook all of mine on a stick burner.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    IMO, brisket is difficult to keep moist. Low and slow in the oven seems to be fool proof using coke, sprite, etc. to keep it moist. I've had them turn out good on the grill or smoker with no direct heat, but not every time. The cut of the brisket is most important. They just cost too much to experiment on/with. Cooking butts is the least expensive way to experiment.
    Picking ones with good marbling will help, but cooking to how the brisket feels rather than internal temp and letting it rest properly before slicing are the biggest keys to moist brisket. I've smoked selects and primes at the same time and you can't tell the difference when they're done.

There are a lot of factors that went into this brisket not measuring up. Some things I realized after the fact. Smaller brisket that cooked too long. Grass fed beef, so no marbling. No water pan, so no moisture. Cooked so fast he didn’t even wrap it with butter, tallow, or anything else to reintroduce moisture. Basically every rookie mistake in 1 cook.

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

That’ll do it!

My next door neighbor was cleaning out some stuff last year and gave me a Cobb Grill they had used for camping. Pretty cool setup, but the accessories are very expensive.

https://www.cobbgrillamerica.com/col...bb%20barbecues

+ Reply to Thread