+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Grilling

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Re: Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    OK, maybe the best two NY Strips I've ever done in my life!

Started with 2 16.4 oz, 1 1/2 inch strips from Tech farm meat lab (thank you Gordon, for such an even thickness cut). Did reverse sear, with steaks off to the side of the coals but still starting basting with butter ever single time I turned. Got them to about 120 F and put them directly over the coals to finish them off. Nice amount of char and grill marks. Pulled them at 130F.

OMG! After the couple of weeks I've had, this was just what the Dr ordered! Now if the Dogs will just finish knocking off NTSU all will be right with the world.
    That sounds great. But just to be absolutely clear, when you said, "directly over the coals," did you mean still up on the grate or down on the coals (caveman style)?

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

On the grate. Only an 1 1/2" 2" above the charcoal. Once you're directly over the coals, you have to mind them closely and turn very regularly & continuing to baste. Char is once thing....incineration is another. And it doesn't take long to finish.

I use one of my Thermapens to be sure of the internal temperature. No guessing on how done you are. And if you're unsure what temperature is what degree of done-ness there's always the handy-dandy:

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-All-.../dp/B005VPVMQK

Don't grill at home without it!

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

Any of y'all ever built your own smoker/ BBQ pit? I've been looking around online at DIY plans for old-school brick and cinder block pits for awhile, and will probably put one together early next year. They don't look hard to build, just wondering if anyone had ever built one and had tips on anything I need to make sure I consider when designing/building/using it.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dowty View Post
    Any of y'all ever built your own smoker/ BBQ pit? I've been looking around online at DIY plans for old-school brick and cinder block pits for awhile, and will probably put one together early next year. They don't look hard to build, just wondering if anyone had ever built one and had tips on anything I need to make sure I consider when designing/building/using it.
    I assume this is already built, but I’ve looked at Big Poppa Ugly Drum Smoker kits. It’s everything you need to turn a food grade or unlined 55-gallon drum into a quality smoker. I think the kit is around $140. Drums can be anywhere from $10-$50.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you watch the Super Bowl or not this weekend, it does kind of present a reason to do some cooking...if you need a reason.

I'm thinking about smoking a couple of bacon wrapped pork tenderloin stuffed with jalapeno poppers. Though I might use Anaheim peppers since they are milder and Mrs TD likes them better. Maybe sauteed spinach & mushrooms for a side dish.

If not the Super Bowl we might watch some college basketball or NHL hockey game.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Whether you watch the Super Bowl or not this weekend, it does kind of present a reason to do some cooking...if you need a reason.

I'm thinking about smoking a couple of bacon wrapped pork tenderloin stuffed with jalapeno poppers. Though I might use Anaheim peppers since they are milder and Mrs TD likes them better. Maybe sauteed spinach & mushrooms for a side dish.

If not the Super Bowl we might watch some college basketball or NHL hockey game.
    Brookshires here in Shreveport has baby back ribs for $1.77/pound. I think that may be what's on our menu.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

So, who has smoked a whole brisket on a BGE? Cooking next weekend and going to try Texas style(salt and pepper with just a touch of chipotle). Gonna try a little hotter fire which means I probably will wrap it pretty early in the cook to preserve moisture. Thoughts?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    So, who has smoked a whole brisket on a BGE? Cooking next weekend and going to try Texas style(salt and pepper with just a touch of chipotle). Gonna try a little hotter fire which means I probably will wrap it pretty early in the cook to preserve moisture. Thoughts?
    How hot? Wrap with what?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably cooking at 300 or 325. I don’t have 12 hours to let it sit at 225. Can’t decide whether to wrap in butcher paper or foil.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Probably cooking at 300 or 325. I don’t have 12 hours to let it sit at 225. Can’t decide whether to wrap in butcher paper or foil.
    Full cut of brisket or just the flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Full cut of brisket or just the flat?
    Full cut, flat and point. 10lbs.

You will probably get better advice from others, but my 2 cents would be:

Smoke at 250-275 until you get to an internal temp of about 165 (or you get to “stall”), then wrap in butcher paper and cook until tender (anywhere from 195 to 215, depending on your brisket). It should go much faster once you wrap.

It’ll be a new experience for sure. Also trying a new thermometer. 4 probes with the wireless receiver so I don’t have to hover by the grill all afternoon.

Once you go hot and fast, you’ll never go back. Some folks inject, but I never have. Cook it just like you normally would, just hotter. I don’t wrap until I hit 160 in the flat. Wrap in butcher paper unless time is really short (then use foil). On a 10 pounder, you’ll probably be done in 5-7 hours.

Have fun!

It’ll be a new experience for sure. Also trying a new thermometer. 4 probes with the wireless receiver so I don’t have to hover by the grill all afternoon.
    Do you have one of those fan/controller’s to auto regulate the temperature of the BGE?

+ Reply to Thread