+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Grilling

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Re: Grilling

Had plenty of time on Saturday, so I threw on a meatloaf for sandwiches this week. Not much to look at, but very tasty with some Blue Plate mayo and Mama Mia's olive salad mix on white bread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nadB; 05-28-2013 at 10:04 PM.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

My cooker consistently does the best ribs I've ever turned out. Did these this past Sunday afternoon. Lighter sauce is Carolina; darker is Sweet Baby Ray's.

Pizza, steaks, sausage, burgers, butts, brisket, you name it -- all good. Only thing I haven't figured out how to do on it yet is fry catfish.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    My cooker consistently does the best ribs I've ever turned out. Did these this past Sunday afternoon. Lighter sauce is Carolina; darker is Sweet Baby Ray's.
    How do you prep your ribs? Do you parboil them? I put sweet baby rays on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    How do you prep your ribs? Do you parboil them? I put sweet baby rays on everything.
    OMG, parboil is a dirty word around ribs. For starters, I pull off the membrane and rub them with some plain yellow mustard or olive oil and pat on a little rub. Not much prep at all.

Hey, Matt, this is my Grill Dome.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I use an electric smoker for everything. Just curious but how long do you grill your ribs and at what temperature do you take them off?

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

My wife-to-be wants to get me a new grill for a wedding present. I was looking at this Master Forge dual-chamber charcoal grill.

A buddy of mine has the model with only a single adjustable charcoal grate and no bottom doors. He loves his.

Anyone have experience with this one?

The only negatives I have read in reviews are that the seal between the lid and base are pretty open, allowing a lot of heat/smoke to escape. Many have suggested usine a high-temp silicone and some fire rope to create a better seal.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    My wife-to-be wants to get me a new grill for a wedding present. I was looking at this Master Forge dual-chamber charcoal grill.

A buddy of mine has the model with only a single adjustable charcoal grate and no bottom doors. He loves his.

Anyone have experience with this one?

The only negatives I have read in reviews are that the seal between the lid and base are pretty open, allowing a lot of heat/smoke to escape. Many have suggested usine a high-temp silicone and some fire rope to create a better seal.
    I have the same model your buddy has...I guess making that two of your buddies who have one ...and I have no problems with anything escaping. Love mine.

I use an electric smoker for everything. Just curious but how long do you grill your ribs and at what temperature do you take them off?
    There should be a law against electrocuting pigs; same goes for gassing them, too. :icon_wink:

I have a thermapen http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/ but almost never bother to check the internal temps of ribs. Just use the sight and bend test method.

For baby backs: a couple of hours or so heavy mesquite smoke, then foiled for a couple hours or so -- sometimes with butter, sometimes with a garlic herb marinade if I'm not too lazy--, then maybe an hour out of the foil. If I use sauce, I'll maybe brush some on the last 20 min. or so.

I'm guessing the internal temp of the ribs is about 165 or so when I foil them, and maybe 190-195 when I take them off ?? Hard to get a good uniform reading since the meat thickness varies so much and there is a lot of bone ??

I prefer propane, but haven't gotten my new house in order enough to justify one. The electric smoker was a gift and I have worn if out cooking. It's my hope that this summer I get a decent propane grill.

...It's my hope that this summer I get a decent propane grill.
    REAL Men cook with wood ! ! ! !

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    Who owns a kamado style grill (green egg)? I'm thinking of getting one of these:

http://primogrill.com/primo-grills/primo-grills-ovalxl/
    I own two and they're great!

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

I have a thermapen http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/ but almost never bother to check the internal temps of ribs. Just use the sight and bend test method.
    Same here. Not really a good way to get an accurate temp on ribs and they are pretty easy to judge when they are done by sight. However, an old BBQ champ showed me the best way to check if they are done . . . cut out a rib in the middle and eat it!

For baby backs: a couple of hours or so heavy mesquite smoke, then ...
    I really believe you get a better smoke ring if you DO NOT put a base (mustard/oil/vinegar) and rub on the ribs for the first couple of hours. I think they just block the smoke from getting into the meat.

I also started leaving the membrane on. Some say it keeps the ribs from losing extra moisture and you can always take it off after you cook it (if you want).

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    I also started leaving the membrane on. Some say it keeps the ribs from losing extra moisture and you can always take it off after you cook it (if you want).
    I've been amazed at how ceramic cookers keep meat moist, and question whether that is even worth considering for a kamado rig ??

+ Reply to Thread