+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peaches

Champ Bill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant future

Re: Peaches

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    i would bet theres only about half the trees that there used to be. I honestly dont think it'll be more than 5 years before Mitchams wont exist anymore as we know it.
    That really sucks. I was hoping the situation had changed for the better.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

My prediction is that in 10-15 years there will be a subdivision where those trees are now.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Perhaps I should shed some light on the topic...I live in Cresthaven and am close friends with Joe, and have been for 12 years.

It's called Oak Rot Fungus. The EPA did outlaw the fungicide. It has not slowed. 65% of the crop is gone. There will be peaches for a few more years, but you better come and get some this year. This is likely the last with any meaningful amounts.

Joe has tried in the past nectarines, apples, and a few other fruits. All failed because no one bought them...people wanted peaches. Plus, everything else is susceptible to the fungus also.

There will be no more subdivision expansion. Mitcham Farms will remain for the family to enjoy. In fact, behind my house where there was planned expansion, pine trees have been planted.

Joe was approached by two separate business ventures to purchase and develop the land...and not for houses...and he turned them down.

Hope that info clears it up. Come get some peaches while they are here.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

So are the Ruston Reds already coming in? I thought it was a tad early for them.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    So are the Ruston Reds already coming in? I thought it was a tad early for them.
    its early still. The best peaches are right after the festival and after the crowds have gone.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Back from the trip.

Stopped in Homer on the way down. It was a big mess. They can say wasn't a tornado, but if it looks like a tornado and breaks $hit like a tornado .... ya know. (The stepped-up police presence from neighboring towns was encouraging. They were determined that Homer would not be pillaged and looted while the power was down.)

Made it to Mitcham's around 8am. I was third in line and got some sweet corn and butterbeans and the last full box of peaches. The lady behind me got a partial box. The folks in line behind her were offered the overripes. The orchard is looking sparse ... it hurts my heart. (I find myself experiencing the same emotions towards the peaches that I have towards the Techsters -- sad, but grateful for the memories. Wish for a miracle cure, but resigned to inevitable.)

We also collected several gallons of blueberries at a u-pick-it farm in Franklinton. That with the peaches made for lots of yummy desserts. Also noticed a significant "cleansing" effect associated with consuming large portions of fresh fruit. Must make a note of that.

Was gonna go to Waveland, MS so the kids could visit a beach. Mom suggested Foutainebleu SP instead, and it was pretty nice. They cleared a section of lakeshore and trucked in a bunch of beach sand. Add a pavilion and a playground and the chirrens didnt even know or care that it wasnt a real beach.

Visited Louie & the Readhead Lady restaurant, as featured on Diners, Dives and Drive-bys (or whatever). I can highly reccomend it for anyone visiting M'ville. Everyone on the Northshore should also take the free tour of the Abita brewery.

Made the obligatory stop in Bernice on the way back, and got home again late Sunday.

The more I visit Louisiana, the more I'm convinced I don't belong anywhere else.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post

Also noticed a significant "cleansing" effect associated with consuming large portions of fresh fruit. Must make a note of that.
    Don't you have kids in diapers? You haven't noticed this effect on them?

Nothing like two or three meals with fresh blueberries to clear things out.

+ Reply to Thread