+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech to demolish 9 buildings

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: Tech to demolish 9 buildings

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    The UL System approved Tech's request to demolish 9 buildings:
    - Neilson Hall
    - Caruthers Hall
    - Hutcheson Hall
    - 6 married student housing buildings on South Campus
    Wow, the Hut, but not Jenkins-McFarland and Cottingham? What does this say for the architecture of the 1970s . . . .?

Married housing was doomed after Phil Robertson regularly skinned his deers in the shower of his duplex. . . . .
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Dan Reneau: "Due to age, design, and condition of these facilities, it is not cost effective to renovate them for other use. We believe that these buildings no longer serve a purpose on the campus and present themselves as a liability to the campus community."
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    No, pray tell, you must say more. I'm ignorant, genuinely mean that. Why wouldn't we tear down those buildings. I just assumed all along that was the right thing to do. For the first time, I know there is an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    But that's all I have left to say.
    Now y'all are just messing with him. That ain't cool*.

*hoping he rises to the bait

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Married housing was doomed after Phil Robertson regularly skinned his deers in the shower of his duplex. . . . .
    My wife and I lived there as well for one year. They looked like a dump when we drove by last year. Glad to see them go down along with the others.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

No, pray tell, you must say more. I'm ignorant, genuinely mean that. Why wouldn't we tear down those buildings. I just assumed all along that was the right thing to do. For the first time, I know there is an issue.
    There is no public issue.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Wow, the Hut, but not Jenkins-McFarland and Cottingham? What does this say for the architecture of the 1970s . . . .?

I believe Cottingham was renovated in the early 2000s after an electrical fire.

Jenkins and McFarland are used for storage.

I don't believe Tech has used Neilson, Caruthers, and Hutcheson for anything since they were closed to students.

All of those buildings to be demolished were built 1964-68.

Year Constructed
    1964 - Hutcheson
    1966 - Caruthers
    1967 - Married Student Housing
    1968 - Neilson

I think it says more about the poor vision of F. Jay Taylor than it does the architecture. Most all of his buildings were ugly and not built to last more than 40 years. Just about every one of the F. Jay Taylor era buildings needs to be demolished.

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

Tearing down all these buildings is gonna be a big improvement. All that new open space should open up a ton of possiblities to upgrade the university. Just like giving a sculpter a brand new big block of marble.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

It has been discussed on this board at some length on numerous occasions. I have succeeded in converting absolutely nobody to my position that the structures in question are, because of their place in our university's history, worthy of preservation and, because of their utilitarian design, capable of accommodating new uses.

I hope you know that I respect you tremendously Santiago -- so please don't take it personally when I say I would prefer not to hash out again. It has taken a dozen threads over several years for me to reach this point of resignation. So let me just say I value the old dorms, despite their appearance, and will be disappointed to see them go.

Viva la Hutt.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Cottingham was renovated in the early 2000s after an electrical fire.

Jenkins and McFarland are used for storage.

I don't believe Tech has used Neilson, Caruthers, and Hutcheson for anything since they were closed to students.

All of those buildings to be demolished were built 1964-68.

Year Constructed
    1964 - Hutcheson
    1966 - Caruthers
    1967 - Married Student Housing
    1968 - Neilson

I think it says more about the poor vision of F. Jay Taylor than it does the architecture. Most all of his buildings were ugly and not built to last more than 40 years. Just about every one of the F. Jay Taylor era buildings needs to be demolished.
    I lived in Caruthers in 1966 and 1967, and Nielson in 1968. They sure were fine buildings then! They apparently were mismanaged, and someone should have been held accountable. That is all.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

The UL System approved Tech's request to demolish 9 buildings:
    - Neilson Hall
    - Caruthers Hall
    - Hutcheson Hall
    - 6 married student housing buildings on South Campus

The area will be used for parking (I assume Hutcheson) and recreational fields (I assume Neilson and Caruthers).

Champ967's meltdown in 3, 2, 1...
    dang, i have something above the ceiling tiles, on top of the closet, in room 630 in Nelson i need to go recover before they knock it down . . .

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    dang, i have something above the ceiling tiles, on top of the closet, in room 630 in Nelson i need to go recover before they knock it down . . .
    I was thinking the same thing. I stored a lot of alcohol above those ceiling tiles in each one of those dorms. They better watch out how they do the demo, their could be a good chance of fire due to some vintage booze.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

It has been discussed on this board at some length on numerous occasions. I have succeeded in converting absolutely nobody to my position that the structures in question are, because of their place in our university's history, worthy of preservation and, because of their utilitarian design, capable of accommodating new uses.

I hope you know that I respect you tremendously Santiago -- so please don't take it personally when I say I would prefer not to hash out again. It has taken a dozen threads over several years for me to reach this point of resignation. So let me just say I value the old dorms, despite their appearance, and will be disappointed to see them go.

Viva la Hutt.
    Does this have anything to do with your being naked and throwing pickles at a stautue of Julius Cuesar?
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Viva la Hutt.
    That is one of the most mature and respectful posts I have ever read from someone who is truly passionate about an issue. (If only dawg80 could be likewise sanguine and reasonable regarding his LSUS obsession...) Viva la Champ967!!

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoutThemDawgs View Post
    FIFY :P I was in the last group of 700+ guys to be in Neilson.... I hope they eventually figure out who the retard who kept setting fires in the dorm was >_>
    worst week ever. 2 fires in one week both at 2am in the middle of January. It wasn't fun at all waiting outside for 2 hours in just a shirt and shorts waiting to go back to sleep.

Champ BoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud of BoutThemDawgs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    worst week ever. 2 fires in one week both at 2am in the middle of January. It wasn't fun at all waiting outside for 2 hours in just a shirt and shorts waiting to go back to sleep.
    Phbbt the jerk set my floor on fire twice =/ and the 2nd time he leaned a mattress against the trash can. Thankfully I was on the uphill side of Neilson, so I didn't get ruined electronics and carpets. Also wasn't that 2nd time on the 9th like the night before finals started that quarter?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

This is excellent news. Out with the old and in with the new. If this is true and they demolish these buildings, our campus will look 100 times better 2 years from today.

HD

+ Reply to Thread