+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wac - 2013

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Wac - 2013

On the college sports channel on Sirius earlier this evening (2 July), they were talking to Jeff Hurd, WAC commish. I only got to hear the last 2-3 minutes, and nothing new was really presented in that time. However, Hurd did mention that they want to get their 2013 lineup done by the end of this month, whether it be a football conference or not. I wonder if they have some commitments that they have not announced yet?

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Wac - 2013

If he doesn't put a conference together, he doesn't have a job.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

My guess at the WAC 2013:
    - Boise State
    - Cal State Bakersfield
    - Denver
    - Idaho
    - New Mexico State
    - Seattle
    - Texas Pan American
    - Utah Valley

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

It was just the radio guy speculating after Hurd went off the air, but he was saying that the WAC should look at teams like Appy State and JMU. Great idea in theory, but I am not sure the money would be worth it to those schools to move up to a cross country conference like that. Now if they could get a two division set-up even with five teams each, that might work. At least that would only require finding three more teams in the western part of the country. Add ASU/JMU, along with Northern Iowa, Liberty, and Delaware for an eastern divison. It would complicate things like scheduling and determining a conference champ if the two division leaders did not play each other, but desperate times call for desperate measures. And any way you look at it, the WAC is in desperate straits right now.

I figure they wind up as a non-football conference after all is said and done. Regardless of what happens, I figure a number of NCAA waivers will be required to keep the WAC in business until they can stabilize.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

All I know is......LA Tech is not in the WAC beginning 2013. And that's all that really matters.

HD

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    All I know is......LA Tech is not in the WAC beginning 2013. And that's all that really matters.

HD
    And all of theTech family shout AMEN to that! Can you think of the chaos that we would be in if we hadn't joined CUSA.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    And all of theTech family shout AMEN to that! Can you think of the chaos that we would be in if we hadn't joined CUSA.
    Yeah, we'd be stuck once again with the Planters logo for a commissioner until he finally decides to retire. And we wouldn't be able to post on this board since it would have long since melted down.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

A couple wildcards for the WAC might be Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word.

The WAC can get to 10 members in the western half of the US with the addition of Abilene Christian, Cal State Bakersfield, Incarnate Word, Utah Valley, and Texas Pan American.

That way they won't have to invite Chicago State and NJIT.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

At this point why don't they invite Lamar?

(I loved typing "they" instead of "we" when referring to the wac)

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    At this point why don't they invite Lamar?

If the WAC invites Lamar, they would still have to find at least 5 more football schools to continue to sponsor football. Seattle, Denver, and Boise State are probably against the WAC moving east to convince FCS schools to move up.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    If the WAC invites Lamar, they would still have to find at least 5 more football schools to continue to sponsor football. Seattle, Denver, and Boise State are probably against the WAC moving east to convince FCS schools to move up.
    You think Dallas Baptist is in play?

They'll be in the WAC for baseball, but D2 for their other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    You think Dallas Baptist is in play?

They'll be in the WAC for baseball, but D2 for their other sports.
    No. I haven't seen anything indicating Dallas Baptist has any desire to move their entire athletic program to Division I.

It looks like UNO, Abilene Christian, and Incarnate Word all applied to the Southland Conference. Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word are currently Division II schools.
    http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf...officials.html

With the SLC set to have 11 members in 2013, I think the Southland will just add 1 member to get to 12. I would think that UNO would be the obvious choice, which would leave Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word without a Division I home. But maybe the SLC wants to go to 14 members. I don't know.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe ANY Division II program would help the WAC at this point. Any exemptions from existing rules would almost certainly count only current Division I schools.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    I don't believe ANY Division II program would help the WAC at this point. Any exemptions from existing rules would almost certainly count only current Division I schools.
    The WAC wouldn't need an exemption if they add Cal State Bakersfield, Texas Pan American, and Utah Valley. That would put the WAC at 8 DI members in the western half of the US, and they wouldn't have to add Chicago State and NJIT.

The addition of Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word (assuming they don't receive SLC invites) would get the WAC up to 10 members and could save the WAC down the road when they eventually lose programs.

+ Reply to Thread