+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: History of the "Air Raid"

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

History of the "Air Raid"

http://smartfootball.com/offense/the...yond#more-3576

Some X's and O's to get you through the summer.

Puppy DJ_JB is just really niceDJ_JB is just really niceDJ_JB is just really niceDJ_JB is just really niceDJ_JB is just really niceDJ_JB is just really niceDJ_JB is just really niceDJ_JB is just really nice

Re: History of the "Air Raid"

Thanks for the link!

I've never read the history of the system.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool article

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Explains a lot about Franklin's persona/attitude...

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

This quote in this story is for Maddawg:

"I’m not sure what the lesson of Franklin’s career has been, other than, if nothing else, never underestimate The System."
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

It's notable that all of the original Air Raid disciples have ended-up at either non-BCS schools or BCS schools that are never (Washington St.), or only occasionally (W. Virginia), a conference leader. The System is a concept that helps to level the playing field against superior talent, but its inherent weaknesses limit its upside and that is why its implementation is asymmetrically distributed - most widely used in high school, then less prominent college programs, then higher profile college programs, and least at the elite college and professional level. Even at the less prominent college level it quickly loses effectiveness depending on the ability and willingness of the HC/OC to modify the Air Raid to keep it "fresh" and to adjust to current personnel.

Although I believe that Tech still has room to grow under the Air Raid system, I continue to assert that Franklin's not-so-sideline business of marketing the System to high schools creates an unavoidable resistance to change and innovation that is required at the college level. The generally lower quality of coaching and the lower level of talent at the high school level does not demand regular modifications of the System in order for it to remain relevant and productive. Slow evolution is adequate at the high school level and does not create disgruntled purchasers of what might otherwise be a regularly updated System.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I think Franklin has adapted as much as any of the other Air Raid guys. He used Dasher at MTSU in a much different way than anyone has ever used Tim Couch or Kliff Kingsbury. We used a Pistol formation to try and take advantage of a more North/South runner in Creer. Didn't he throw in an H-back look against Boise a couple of years ago? I think I read (and I could be wrong about this) that we're using some of the innovative run/deep pass/screen option package plays that OSU and WVU have been experimenting with.

I know Dykes used a TE some at Arizona because he happened to inherit Gronkowski - so our Head Coach at the very least has been known to modify the System to "adjust to current personnel" in the past.

As for not running the Air Raid at the top levels of college football - I think that's a chicken and egg issue. If you can recruit like Alabama, USC, or Texas then you can win doing whatever you want. Those schools would all win a lot of games running our offense (just like they'd all win a lot of games running the Wishbone, the Power I, or anything else).

It'll be interesting to see how A&M does over the next few years in the SEC. It isn't like they were going to come in and dominate no matter what, but they're certainly going to have more talent than late 90s Kentucky ever did.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Very good NY Times article from 2005 on Leach that was mentioned. You can see where Dykes developed his time management style.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/ma...pagewanted=all

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I still cannot believe so many people doubt the system. It works!! However, can you name 1 team that used the system that also played defense????? You only win games in big spots if you do both. Sure you can put up 35+ per game, but you allow 42, so...............

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I still cannot believe so many people doubt the system. It works!! However, can you name 1 team that used the system that also played defense????? You only win games in big spots if you do both. Sure you can put up 35+ per game, but you allow 42, so...............
    It doesn't work if part of what it does is overworks the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I think Franklin has adapted as much as any of the other Air Raid guys. He used Dasher at MTSU in a much different way than anyone has ever used Tim Couch or Kliff Kingsbury. We used a Pistol formation to try and take advantage of a more North/South runner in Creer. Didn't he throw in an H-back look against Boise a couple of years ago? I think I read (and I could be wrong about this) that we're using some of the innovative run/deep pass/screen option package plays that OSU and WVU have been experimenting with.

I know Dykes used a TE some at Arizona because he happened to inherit Gronkowski - so our Head Coach at the very least has been known to modify the System to "adjust to current personnel" in the past.

As for not running the Air Raid at the top levels of college football - I think that's a chicken and egg issue. If you can recruit like Alabama, USC, or Texas then you can win doing whatever you want. Those schools would all win a lot of games running our offense (just like they'd all win a lot of games running the Wishbone, the Power I, or anything else).

It'll be interesting to see how A&M does over the next few years in the SEC. It isn't like they were going to come in and dominate no matter what, but they're certainly going to have more talent than late 90s Kentucky ever did.
    Sure, top talent can make a lot of things work, but against other top talent the Air Raid will almost always come in second to some variation of a pro set.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I would contend that both Oregon and Auburn have shown variations of the same scheme in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I would contend that both Oregon and Auburn have shown variations of the same scheme in recent years.
    I think you'd be wrong to contend that. They run hurry-up spread offenses, but not the same system that we run.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Well, they have certainly primarily run a spread, whether that qualifies as a variation of the Air Raid scheme is a different topic (I believe most would say there are clear differences). Outside of those two, I can't quickly recall any power conference perennial leaders that primarily run a spread, and certainly not the Air Raid scheme.

+ Reply to Thread