+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: U-La-La, the 1st Gay University

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Re: U-La-La, the 1st Gay University

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    Wow, now that right there's profound.

The point I was attempting to make was that OUR money is backing what we're making fun of UL-L for having. Rest assured, if the gubmint can force them to do stuff like this, they could force LaTech to do it too...yes, it is OUR problem, not just ULL's.
    Apparently, I missed the part where the government forced ULL to do this. Where is that?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Their mascot just became the Flamin' Gayjuns. They may not know it yet, but it did.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

Wow, the hate in this thread sickens me.

5% + of the US population identifies as LGBT.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by steltz View Post
    Wow, the hate in this thread sickens me.

5% + of the US population identifies as LGBT.
    I agree. There is a lot of ignorance in this thread. No one is forcing anyone to take the course. Get over it......

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Apparently, I missed the part where the government forced ULL to do this. Where is that?
    Buried in the fine print, i'm afraid, Maverick.

You are correct. My post that you quoted was badly worded on my part. It incorrectly implies overt "coersion" by the feds or whomever upon the administration of ULL to implement this "minor", which apparently didn't happen. BUT...there are all sorts of requirements tied to accepting public monies. Strings attached...if you will.

I suspect ULL, an institution like our own that depends on public funding, may not have been in any legal position to tell the supporters of this curricula NO.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I agree. There is a lot of ignorance in this thread. No one is forcing anyone to take the course. Get over it......
    It's not a course. It's a minor. Students who choose to pursue the minor have to take 18 credit hours in LGBT studies. ULL offers numerous courses (98 courses that I counted) that can count towards the minor. All but 3 of the courses (95 courses) are regular courses from other curricula to which they have added or will add LGBT content. However, the professors who teach those courses can opt out of teaching the new LGBT components of those courses if they file the necessary paperwork. Regardless, many students not taking the LGBT curriculum will have LGBT content added their non-LGBT curricula.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 07-11-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Or would she?
    You may be right- I don't plan on contacting her though. I guess I should say "wife."

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    It's not a course. It's a minor. Students who choose to pursue the minor have to take 18 credit hours in LGBT studies. ULL offers numerous courses (98 courses that I counted) that can count towards the minor. All but 4 of the courses (94 courses) are regular courses from other curricula to which they have added or will add LGBT content. However, the professors who teach those courses can opt out of teaching the new LGBT components of those courses if they file the necessary paperwork. Regardless, many students not taking the LGBT curriculum will have LGBT content added their non-LGBT curricula.
    You know that is probably correct or will be soon.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    You know that is probably correct or will be soon.
    It is correct.

Here are their 3 courses already with LGBT content:
    SOCI 254 - INTRODUCTION TO LGBT CULTURAL STUDIES. (3cr); (This course will soon be changing to SOCI 354)
    SOCI 454(G) - Gender Across Cultures. {Same as ANTH 454}
    PHIL 319 – Philosophy of Law

Here are the 95 regular courses to which LGBT content has been or will be added:
    ANTH 201 – Cultural Anthropology **
    ANTH 303 – Anthropology of Religion **
    ANTH 310 – Human Variation and Adaptation **
    ANTH 460 – Medical Anthropology **
    ANTH 491(G) - Research in Cultural Anthropology**
    ANTH 493(G) - Seminar in Anthropology **
    ANTH 497(G) – 498(G) – Special Projects in Anthropology I, II.**
    BIOL 303 – Sociobiology **
    CAFS 243 – Human Sexuality **
    CAFS 440 – Family Law and Public Policy **
    CMCN 210 – Interpersonal Communication **
    CMCN 374 – Cultural History of Film**
    CMCN 384 – Communication Theory**
    CMCN 385 – Communication Law and Ethics **
    CMCN 400(G) – Nonverbal Communication **
    CMCN 470(G) – Intercultural Communication **
    CMCN 477 – Special Topics in Communication **
    CMCN 497-498 – Independent Study **
    CODI 441 – Fluency and Voice **
    CJUS 399 – Special Issues in Criminal Justice**
    CJUS 401 – Contemporary Issues in Criminal Justice**
    DANC 321 – Philosophy and History of Dance I**
    DANC 322 – Philosophy and History of Dance II**
    ENGL 115 – Freshman Honors English**
    ENGL 202 – British Literature II**
    ENGL 204 – Novel and Short Fiction**
    ENGL 206 – American Literature II**
    ENGL 207 – Poetry**
    ENGL 208 – Drama**
    ENGL 216 – Honors American Literature**
    ENGL 319 – Modern Poetry**
    ENGL 320 – Modern Fiction**
    ENGL 351 – Introduction to Lingquistics**
    ENGL 370 – Special Topics in Literary and/or Media Art**
    ENGL 380 – Readings in Literature by Women**
    ENGL 452(G) – Language, Culture and Society**
    ENGL 496(G) – Major Literary Figures**
    ENGL 499(G) – Special Topics in English**
    HIST 366 – Women in History **
    HIST 367 – Social and Cultural History**
    HIST 368 – History of Religion**
    HIST 369 – Constitutional and Legal History**
    HIST 371 – Topics and Themes**
    HIST 430(G) – American History Seminar**
    HIST 471(G) – Issues and Themes I, II.**
    HONR 216 – Culture of Man**
    HONR 385 – Women of Other Worlds: Gender in Fantastic Fiction and Film**
    HONR 385 – Modern Problems in the Humanities **
    HUMN 200 – Ideas and Issues**
    HUMN 300 – Themes in the Humanities**
    HUMN 400(G) – Humanities Colloquium**
    INDS 362 – Human Factors**
    NURS 333 – Cultural Aspects of Health Care**
    PHIL 111 – Contemporary Moral Dilemmas**
    PHIL 231 – Topics in World Religions**
    PHIL 316 – Professional Ethics**
    PHIL 321 – Plato, Aristotle, and the Ancients**
    POLS 305 – Issues in Politics **
    POLS 375 – Religion and Politics**
    POLS 387 – Constitutional Law**
    POLS 390 – Special Topics in Politics**
    POLS 457(G) – Public Policy Anaylsis**
    POLS 470(G) – Political Philosophy: Major Themes**
    POLS 475(G) – American Political Thought**
    POLS 483(G) – Civil Liberties**
    PSYC 110 – Introduction to Psychology**
    PSYC 209 – General Psychology I**
    PSYC 210 – General Psychology II**
    PSYC 300 – Psychology of Adjustment**
    PSYC 312 – Adolescent Psychology**
    PSYC 313 – Life-Span Developmental Psychology**
    PSYC 330 – Social Psychology**
    PSYC 340 – Theories of Personality**
    PSYC 431 – Psychological Counseling**
    SOCI 241 – Social Problems**
    SOCI 305 – Marriage and the Family**
    SOCI 310 – Minority Groups **
    SOCI 350 – Sociology of Deviance**
    SOCI 370 – Sociology of Religion**
    SOCI 374 – Introduction to Social Work**
    SOCI 420(G) – Social Interaction**
    SOCI 425(G) – Social Stratification**
    SOCI 480(G) – Death and Dying**
    SOCI 494(G) – Seminar in Sociology: Sociology of Law**
    SOCI 497(G) – 498(G) – Special Projects in Sociology**
    THEA 161 – Introduction to Theatre and Performing Arts**
    THEA 261 – Acting I **
    THEA 265 – Acting II**
    THEA 357 – History of Theatre I**
    THEA 358 – History of Theatre II**
    THEA 364 – Directing I**
    VIAR 121 – Survey of the Visual Arts I**
    VIAR 122 – Survey of the Visual Arts II**
    VIAR 321 – Studies in Art History**
    VIAR 323 – Art Since 1945**

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    +1

I'm all for making fun of ULL and Flamin Cajuns, but ya'll are acting like they are forcing everyone to take these classes...

Most Sociology/Psych classes already have some elements or at least a chapter on LGBT...

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    +1

I'm all for making fun of ULL and Flamin Cajuns, but ya'll are acting like they are forcing everyone to take these classes...

Most Sociology/Psych classes already have some elements or at least a chapter on LGBT...
    See the 95 courses listed above that have had or will have LGBT content added to it.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

+1

I agree, and people in these fields cannot ignore LGBT, else they would not be fully educated.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    See the 95 courses listed above that have had or will have LGBT content added to it.
    All courses where LGBT content makes sense; those are, for the most part, humanities courses and whether you like it or not LGBT is part of our human culture and traces of it can be found throughout our history...

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

All courses where LGBT content makes sense; those are, for the most part, humanities courses and whether you like it or not LGBT is part of our human culture and traces of it can be found throughout our history...
    The only two that jump out as kind of odd are "Fluency and Voice" and "Communication Theory". Everything else make sense for including at least some LGBT content.

I'm just getting the facts out there. The only opinions I have stated are that I think this will eventually turn into a major and how I think it will affect enrollment of prospective students.

It is more than just humanities. LGBT content has been or will be added to courses in anthropology, biology, child and family studies, communication, cognitive design, criminal justice, dance, English, history, honors, humanities, industrial design, nursing, philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology, theatre, and visual arts.

+ Reply to Thread