+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Random Thoughts on Texas Travel

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Random Thoughts on Texas Travel

Filled up in WM for 3.02 before leaving. Best I found after that was in Arlington at 3.19. 3.29 seemed to be the Texas norm.

Took almost 6 hours to get from WM to Dallas due to two small road construction projects between Marshall and Tyler.

Otherwise I LOVE the new 75mph limit that allows 80plus. Having the ability to travel over 80 miles in one hour is a pretty big deal.

60mph through most of Ft. Worth eight lane is silly.

When did Target take over the Brookshires distribution center near Van?

Most impressed with the growth of Weatherford. (Weatherford HS unbelievable) Not many years ago you couldn't see Weatherford from I-20.

Didn't go all the way out to Midland area, but I hear the growth is CRAZY right now. Zero housing. Schlumberger is flying in workers on a jet every week because there is no place to house them ...is one rumor I heard.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Re: Random Thoughts on Texas Travel

Interstate prices tend to run a good bit higher. I can buy gas in Temple for about 3.05 but on our recent trip down to the coast, didn't find anything less than 3.25 along I-35

The 75 limit really opens up the highway. I like it a lot. Traffic doesn't bunch up as badly. The loop around Austin is at 80 and they're talking about 85--they're trying to get people to use it more (toll road).

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

I just made the same trip yesterday, I got off at Big Spring and headed to New Mexico. Prices off the interstate in Big Spring were $3.05 - $3.07. And not only did the raise the speed limit to 75, but they also got rid of the 65mph night limit.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Texas speed limits on the regular highways (not interstates) are nice as well. Shreveport to Houston is a pretty easy drive.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post

Target has had a large distribution center just west of the Lindale exit on I20, which, I think, has always been a Target.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Filled up in WM for 3.02 before leaving. Best I found after that was in Arlington at 3.19. 3.29 seemed to be the Texas norm.

Took almost 6 hours to get from WM to Dallas due to two small road construction projects between Marshall and Tyler.

Otherwise I LOVE the new 75mph limit that allows 80plus. Having the ability to travel over 80 miles in one hour is a pretty big deal.

60mph through most of Ft. Worth eight lane is silly.

Most impressed with the growth of Weatherford. (Weatherford HS unbelievable) Not many years ago you couldn't see Weatherford from I-20.

Didn't go all the way out to Midland area, but I hear the growth is CRAZY right now. Zero housing. Schlumberger is flying in workers on a jet every week because there is no place to house them ...is one rumor I heard.
    bought gas yesterday at the Brookshire's in Mineola for $2.91/gal. The Valero across the street and the Murphy's at Wal Mart had it at $2.91 also.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Speaking of gas prices. I hate to buy gas at Village Market, and mostly avoid it, because it's 12-13 cents higher than the two stations towards the interstate. I love the store, and service, but the gas is overpriced.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    Target has had a large distribution center just west of the Lindale exit on I20, which, I think, has always been a Target.
    Coulda sworn that used to be a Brookshires outlet.

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Coulda sworn that used to be a Brookshires outlet.
    Maybe you are thinking of the Brookshires warehouses on US 271 between I-20 and Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
    Maybe you are thinking of the Brookshires warehouses on US 271 between I-20 and Tyler.
    Maybe so. Only made that trip a few time in the last 15 years or so. I used to make it two or three times each year. So many changes since then. I looked up the Target project. It was a HUGE project for the area in 1997.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
    That's exactly what he's remembering.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

I went in two different "local cafe" spots and folks were smoking. They had ash trays on the tables. That was something I hadn't seen in a while.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

I went in two different "local cafe" spots and folks were smoking. They had ash trays on the tables. That was something I hadn't seen in a while.
    Wow! What town? Was it like an old Pit Grill or something?

+ Reply to Thread