+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the switch to Macbook Pro

Varsity Bulldog SteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the rough

Making the switch to Macbook Pro

I am seriously considering leaving my PC and moving to the new Macbook Pro. Any one have any suggestions on must have software for students? Also does anyone know of any ebay or other online dealers who can include software on your computer free of charge with your purchase? Thanks for your input.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Re: Making the switch to Macbook Pro

blah... ;-)

Champ BoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud of BoutThemDawgs's Avatar

you could always try newegg or tigerdirect, but seriously why go to the dark side?

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

MacMall offers some deals. Apple controls pricing, so you probably won't find a cheaper price anywhere.

Champ DellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond repute DellDawg's Avatar

Apple SUCKS!!!! That is all.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by DellDawg View Post
    Apple SUCKS!!!! That is all.
    That's what I thought too, until I had a job where I had to work on one. We ran OS9 at first, and I hated it. When OSX came out, I loved it. I haven't bought a windows machine since.

I know it sounds cliche, but it just works, and forever too. I can put my laptop to sleep, and wake it hundreds of times, for months on end without needing a reboot. I've accidentally thrown it across the room, it still works. The build quality cannot be beat, and controlling hardware and software means everything plays well together.

Champ BoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud of BoutThemDawgs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    That's what I thought too, until I had a job where I had to work on one. We ran OS9 at first, and I hated it. When OSX came out, I loved it. I haven't bought a windows machine since.

I know it sounds cliche, but it just works, and forever too. I can put my laptop to sleep, and wake it hundreds of times, for months on end without needing a reboot. I've accidentally thrown it across the room, it still works. The build quality cannot be beat, and controlling hardware and software means everything plays well together.
    You must have never made a custom pc rig then. Macs are ok but super expensive and have no customization in comparison. You can make a better custom PC rig for about a 1/3 of the price if you know what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutThemDawgs View Post
    You must have never made a custom pc rig then. Macs are ok but super expensive and have no customization in comparison. You can make a better custom PC rig for about a 1/3 of the price if you know what you are doing.
    Better is a subjective term. Is it better to do the research to buy parts, find drivers, build and troubleshoot? Or is it better to buy a machine where the hardware and software were designed specifically to work together (not just compatible), where you don't have to do any of that thinking?

Macs are not gaming rigs, they're not designed to be. They're designed to work out of the box, and continue working with minimal downtime, and they do that very well. They take care of themselves, so you don't have to.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

I worked at a software consulting company a couple of years age that switched everyone over to Macbook Pro's. Everyone loved it. Still though, we did Windows development so having Windows VM's was a must but much of our newer development was iPhone stuff, ARM/Linux based etc. We still had a lot of Windows based development but there was not a case we encountered where the need to have a hardware based system that outperformed a VM was necessary.

IOW, we could enjoy the best of both worlds.

All that said, if I was buying a PC today I would get a Windows one and the main reason is that I personally STILL have a need for high performance software that only runs on Windows or has a tremendously better selection of options on Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    Better is a subjective term. Is it better to do the research to buy parts, find drivers, build and troubleshoot? Or is it better to buy a machine where the hardware and software were designed specifically to work together (not just compatible), where you don't have to do any of that thinking?

Macs are not gaming rigs, they're not designed to be. They're designed to work out of the box, and continue working with minimal downtime, and they do that very well. They take care of themselves, so you don't have to.
    All I was saying is you can get the same if not better results, no matter your computer needs, for a lot cheaper if you take the the time to research and build a custom rig. With a mac you just can't modify it, it is designed not to.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutThemDawgs View Post
    All I was saying is you can get the same if not better results, no matter your computer needs, for a lot cheaper if you take the the time to research and build a custom rig. With a mac you just can't modify it, it is designed not to.
    I agree that you can get the same specs for cheaper, but I disagree that the build quality will be the same. Also, reading the first post, it doesn't sound like he wants to do much research and buying of parts. He wants to find a place that includes software needed if possible.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Love my MacBook Pro. haters gonna hate
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Varsity Bulldog SteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    I worked at a software consulting company a couple of years age that switched everyone over to Macbook Pro's. Everyone loved it. Still though, we did Windows development so having Windows VM's was a must but much of our newer development was iPhone stuff, ARM/Linux based etc. We still had a lot of Windows based development but there was not a case we encountered where the need to have a hardware based system that outperformed a VM was necessary.

IOW, we could enjoy the best of both worlds.

All that said, if I was buying a PC today I would get a Windows one and the main reason is that I personally STILL have a need for high performance software that only runs on Windows or has a tremendously better selection of options on Windows.
    I purchased my computer yesterday and am very interested in running a VM such as Fusion or Parralells. Any recommendations as to which one and do I have to buy a copy of windows 7 as well to use with them?

Ehh there are ways to run Windows on a mac concurrently with the mac os, but I don't know how to do that as I have never used a mac beyond a quick email check.

Ive had my macbook pro w/ retina display for about two weeks now and im loving it.....not nearly as much of a learning curve as i expected. The screen and resolution is unbelievably clear.

+ Reply to Thread