+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for the New Mascot

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

Ideas for the New Mascot

I really hope this thread doesn't "rub" anyone the wrong way because I know Tech XX's passing is still fresh on everyone's mind. I just know we all have several ideas and thoughts about how we need to go forward and how we deal with our school's mascot. I really enjoyed seeing Tech XX at all the events. I remember his introduction as a pup, and I remember him getting rubbed down by everyone at the games. It is a very sad and unfortunate event that happened, but we all know we have to move forward. I'm a dog lover, as many of you are, and I have two dogs of my own. I don't want this thread to bash or attack anyone, but I simply think we need some fresh ideas/thoughts on how to move forward with our mascot.

I'll get the ball rolling with some of my ideas...(Please keep in mind that these are just ideas...)

1. If we are going to keep the English bulldog mascot, we have to have a temperature controlled shelter for him at any outdoor LA Tech event. This is essential, and it should not be a debated topic. If it has to be privately funded, that's fine. I'll donate tomorrow, but it has to be a priority.

2. I don't know if we need to keep the English Bulldog as a mascot. The health concerns have prevented me from purchasing a bulldog, and the heat that they have to endure is a real concern yearly. I think we should consider changing to an American Bulldog as a mascot. Healthier breed and unique to the collegiate landscape.

3. I think we should consider retiring the name Tech. Tech XX passed, and we have had 20 live mascots now. I think it may be fitting to retire the Tech name with XX, and we could start something new.

4. I think the care of the bulldog should be placed upon a group or a committee of some sorts. It's a big and heavy responsibility to be in charge of a live mascot, and I think we need a different way of doing it.

5. I think we need to have the new mascot on a schedule for events and games, and we need him to be in a respected manner throughout.

Please feel free to add to this thread or comment on some of the suggestions. I hope that we can grow from this.

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Re: Ideas for the New Mascot

1. Agree
    2. Disagree - see #1
    3. Why?
    4. Agree. Make it a scholarship and an honor for your apartment or particular on-campus building to house and cart Tech XXI around. Off the top of my head, make one of the Hutcheson's the Tech XXI apartment where care is spread throughout the quarter, and there is an interview process to reserve a room in that building.
    5. He wasn't scheduled to come to games in the first place?

Champ DellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond repute DellDawg's Avatar

1. Yes
    2. No way.
    3. Pointless
    4. Agreed
    5. Where had Tech made apperances at other than games?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

First and foremost, the new Tech mascot must be a breed that's SAFE, and not the kind that will unexpectedly snap at children under any circumstances. The English Bulldog fits this "docile" profile very well, and it's one of the reasons they make great pets. I'm sure this point has been given some serious consideration over the years simply due to the fact that our mascots are petted and handled by a lot of kids.

The American Bulldog in the first post photo does NOT appear to fit this profile. The dog in that photo looks like he could unexpectedly eat 2 kids at the same time.

HD

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    First and foremost, the new Tech mascot must be a breed that's SAFE, and not the kind that will unexpectedly snap at children under any circumstances. The English Bulldog fits this "docile" profile very well, and it's one of the reasons they make great pets. I'm sure this point has been given some serious consideration over the years simply due to the fact that our mascots are petted and handled by a lot of kids.

The American Bulldog in the first post photo does NOT appear to fit this profile. The dog in that photo looks like he could unexpectedly eat 2 kids at the same time.

HD
    I agree with HD 100%.

English bulldogs are very kid friendly. They just sit there and let kids pet them. That's what makes them great live mascots.

The only American bulldog I've been around was very jumpy and even bit a friend. I think we need to stay far away from that type of dog.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog View Post
    3. I think we should consider retiring the name Tech. Tech XX passed, and we have had 20 live mascots now. I think it may be fitting to retire the Tech name with XX, and we could start something new.
    3. No! Why change an 82-year old tradition by changing our mascot's name?

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

How about this one located in Sulphur Springs, Texas. http://www.dragonslayerkennels.com/index.html

Varsity Bulldog bulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to behold bulldog009's Avatar

#1. 100% AGREE AND WAY AHEAD OF YOU!

I've been in contact with one of my professors and one a fellow student who is on the executive board for our community service club, Freedom By Design, along with me, and they are both fired up about this idea! They both want to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Rottwieler

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog View Post
    I really hope this thread doesn't "rub" anyone the wrong way because I know Tech XX's passing is still fresh on everyone's mind. I just know we all have several ideas and thoughts about how we need to go forward and how we deal with our school's mascot. I really enjoyed seeing Tech XX at all the events. I remember his introduction as a pup, and I remember him getting rubbed down by everyone at the games. It is a very sad and unfortunate event that happened, but we all know we have to move forward. I'm a dog lover, as many of you are, and I have two dogs of my own. I don't want this thread to bash or attack anyone, but I simply think we need some fresh ideas/thoughts on how to move forward with our mascot.

I'll get the ball rolling with some of my ideas...(Please keep in mind that these are just ideas...)

1. If we are going to keep the English bulldog mascot, we have to have a temperature controlled shelter for him at any outdoor LA Tech event. This is essential, and it should not be a debated topic. If it has to be privately funded, that's fine. I'll donate tomorrow, but it has to be a priority.

2. I don't know if we need to keep the English Bulldog as a mascot. The health concerns have prevented me from purchasing a bulldog, and the heat that they have to endure is a real concern yearly. I think we should consider changing to an American Bulldog as a mascot. Healthier breed and unique to the collegiate landscape.

4. I think the care of the bulldog should be placed upon a group or a committee of some sorts. It's a big and heavy responsibility to be in charge of a live mascot, and I think we need a different way of doing it.

5. I think we need to have the new mascot on a schedule for events and games, and we need him to be in a respected manner throughout.

Please feel free to add to this thread or comment on some of the suggestions. I hope that we can grow from this.
    Not no, but hell no!

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

At first blush, the American Bulldog appeared to have merit but I believe the arguments for keeping the English variety. Add to that the statue of "88" wouldn't match the new breed and I think it needs to stay as is. I do have a question for those that are familiar with the English breed. I was talking to a co-workeer yesterday that said he had a young bulldog that did not have the nasal problems most do. Is there a variation of the breed that has been bred to reduce the nasal problems? If so, I would suggest that we get one of these to reduce the problems for Tech XXI.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

6.) Include in our breeding agreements that LaTech have pick of the litter in order to have an immediate successor from the lineage of the current mascot should a replacement be needed.

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a thread for ideas I guess....more on the critiquing side.

The American Bulldog thing was an idea. As someone else mentioned, other schools don't seem to have the problem of replacing mascots frequently. I don't think we'll change breeds, so maybe we need to be in contact with Georgia or Mississippi State on how they handle their mascot. They both deal with intense heat, and they don't seem to have the same issue.

The suggestion to change the name was more of a memorial/new beginning idea. Again - we've went through 20 live mascots. But again...it was just an idea.

I mentioned the schedule of events for the new Tech because I have been to events where I've never seen him. I've been to events where he was gone before too long. I've had people come with me to games ask where he was. I just thought it would make sense for us to come up with a certain type of schedule.

I like DirtyDawg's idea about lining up a successor, and I am happy that our students are trying to hop on the house idea quickly. Everyone was angry, upset, etc. over everything that happened with Tech XX, so I thought new ideas on the new mascot would be aplenty.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Call me a traditionalist, but I don't consider an American, French, or whatever bulldog to have the same...well...ANY of the Louisiana Tech "attributes" of the English. I mean seriously...is there another breed of DOG that embodies the Tenents of Tech the way the mighty, proud English Bulldog does? And to HogDawg's point...the English endears himself to kids, and that's huge. I also get the concern over lack of longevity of the English, but even still, when I think of LOUISIANA TECH, and all she stands for, this picture sums it up for me:

484142_3626337257072_1968401580_n.jpg

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Georgia is on their 4th dog since 2008...

I have made it known that I think we make the move to a healthier breed of bulldog

I'm leaning toward the American breed but I'm concerned about how docile the dog would be, there are alot of little hands that like to pet TECH and we really need a docile dog
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

+ Reply to Thread