View Poll Results: What breed should the new Bulldog be?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • American

60 36.14%
  • English

106 63.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: American Bulldog

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

American Bulldog

I'm very serious about this concept. I know that losing our mascot in such a manner is tragic and this may be a little too soon for some folks but I think it is the right time to switch our mascot to the American Bulldog. I've hunted wild hogs behind these things and they are some of the finest working dogs ever. It is timely, considering our recent joining with Conf USA and it would make headlines across the country. The current Ath Dept seems to pay a lot of attention to our polls and the like and has asked BBB for assistance on stuff before. This dog is much better suited to our climate and is a much more intimidating, handsome and suiting mascot for TECH IMO. the ones we hunted over were Bully types, i believe, and weighed in at nearly 90-100 lbs and were the "catch" dogs that went in and held on to the huge boars until they (the boars) could be restrained. very, very awesome creatures. After the hunt they were very social animals and as docile a dog as one could ask for.

compare this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bulldog
    to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldog
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Re: American Bulldog

I'm in for $500 if the new breed is the American BTW
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Initially I don't think I was on board with the idea of switching to the AB. What has me concerned about the EB is the rigors of being Tech paired with the general unhealthiness of the breed. ABs are working dogs and should be able to handle the demands of being a mascot more easily than an EB. If selected properly, an AB could look like a taller, slimmer version of the EB we've all come to know and love.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

marketdawg -

I have been a proponent for the American style for a while now, but I didn't know much about the Olde English Bulldogge either. What do you think about these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olde_English_Bulldogge

Varsity Bulldog jchaisson is on top of his/her gamejchaisson is on top of his/her gamejchaisson is on top of his/her gamejchaisson is on top of his/her gamejchaisson is on top of his/her gamejchaisson is on top of his/her gamejchaisson is on top of his/her gamejchaisson is on top of his/her gamejchaisson is on top of his/her gamejchaisson is on top of his/her gamejchaisson is on top of his/her game jchaisson's Avatar

I think I'm starting to like the Old English.

Varsity Bulldog bulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to beholdbulldog009 is a splendid one to behold bulldog009's Avatar

I like the idea of the Old English. It resembles the English more, while being healthier.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Either -

I'm for moving to a healthier breed of bulldog
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Guys, the Olde English Bulldog is not recognized by the AKC. There probably is another org. that registers them, but is probably less dependable. We could get a mutant freak who will eat the first kid he sees.

Do not change the mascot in a knee jerk reaction

Bulldog wmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of light wmladawg's Avatar

No way we change our mascot!!! Is and always will be English Bulldog!!!

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Guys, the Olde English Bulldog is not recognized by the AKC. There probably is another org. that registers them, but is probably less dependable. We could get a mutant freak who will eat the first kid he sees.

I don't think this is a knee jerk reaction. This is a reaction that has happened as a result of poor health and a tough mascot life at times for the English bulldog. Let's not pretend that we're going to get a brand new adult dog and throw him out there with small children. The new mascot will be raised with children as a puppy and will be socialized thoroughly. Of course everyone wants the dog to be ultra friendly and GREAT with kids and groups.

I can go either way with the decision, but I do think it at least warrants a discussion. I know the Olde English and the American are not recognized by the AKC, so I guess that is unfortunate. I don't know if it's a problem though. I also don't think everyone thinks the English bulldog is the one of legend either, so some people don't mind the change of bulldog breed.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I've mentioned the American Bulldog to people in the past, but never actually suggested it to the administration or started a thread. I like the idea. I have never looked at the Olde English until today, but I like it too.

It doesn't look good for Tech to have to get a new dog every few years, and it's not fair to the dog to subject them to harsh conditions. When you add in the fact that English Bulldogs are generally unhealthy, it makes sense to look at other options.

Here is my suggestion:

Other threads have talked about the handling of Tech XX (no need to re-hash that here), and the Sexton Animal Health Center. I do not know Dr. Sexton, but as an alumnus who volunteered to keep the dog, and whose kid's apparently loved the dog, I'm sure he feels a lot of remorse over this whole situation. What if Dr. Sexton could make some recommendations on future dog breeds and how they should be handled? This might give him an opportunity to "redeem" himself in the eyes of those who are ready to stone him in the middle of Railroad Park, and it would give Louisiana Tech some professional advice on the health of future mascots. I believe in redemption, and I'm sure Dr. Sexton deserves a second chance.

I like the idea of at least exploring other options.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post

I prefer the American Bulldog (who is a UKC recognized breed), but let's not act like there are not AKC recognized breeds that are undependable. The EB has a great temperament, but it is physically unstable.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Another factor to consider is that if we change to Old English or American, it won't match "88". Don't know how big that is but thought I would throw it out there.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wmladawg View Post
    No way we change our mascot!!! Is and always will be English Bulldog!!!
    The last 20 bulldogs have been, but no way in hell was the original English. THE original bulldog would certainly have been an American breed in 1899.

Plus, an American Bulldog would be unique and set us apart from the other bulldog mascot schools. I always felt like we probably just copied Mississippi State sometime around WWII with the English breed.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I hope we do a study and consider our options, and do what's in the best interest of our school.
    Good old Memorial Gym

+ Reply to Thread