+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt commish wants fewer ‘contract games’

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Sun Belt commish wants fewer ‘contract games’

Ah....nice thought but dang that guy is clueless.

Sun Belt commish wants fewer ‘contract games’

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Re: Sun Belt commish wants fewer ‘contract games’

What?! You know how to post a non-political link?! :icon_wink:

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I agree that he's clueless. Two big problems with his theory.

1) The Sunbelt is in no position to negotiate with anyone else, so they can't schedule with any "peer conferences" unless the other parties agree to it. Since he wants this to be a long term "strategy", I can't see it happening. I doubt that any other conferences will agree to schedule long term with the Belt. Mainly because.......

2) Without the money games, programs like ULM would run out of money. Tech schedules games like that too, and we always try to get a home and home series (like the A&M game this week), but every program needs money.

I'm not surprised that he's throwing this against the wall, but I don't think it's going to stick. If he pushes forward anyway, then the programs will be really strapped for cash, and he will run the Sunbelt into the ditch, just like he did the WAC.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

What it all boils down to is perception. The Sun Belt actually posted a winning record of 5-2 against Conference USA, the SBC’s biggest rival in recruiting and exposure, last year

Benson angle in promoting the Sun Belt, "we are on par with CUSA".

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

I found this interesting article in the Tech news archives. The article covers the "Benson Plan" for the WAC in 2003 during the initial conference realignment involving the University of Miami.

For anyone naive enough to think the Sun Belt will improve with Karl Benson in charge, read the article.

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m...072503aaa.html

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

So Baghdad Bob moved to the U.S. and took on the identity of KB......

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I'm sure that people in the SBC love hearing him say things like this, but history is a great indicator of future performance.

1. Karl Benson is the reason the Mountain West Conference exists. His inept handling of the WAC is why the "Airport Eight" held their secret meeting.

2. The WAC is currently dying a slow and very public death because of Karl Benson's "leadership". Idaho and New Mexico State are in limbo, facing the decision of FCS membership.

He has been nothing but talk at every stop in the past, and this is nothing but more talk. He is the perfect commissioner for the Sunbelt if they don't have any aspirations of improvement. I can't see the financial situation of the SBC improving under old Karl.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    I'm sure that people in the SBC love hearing him say things like this, but history is a great indicator of future performance.

1. Karl Benson is the reason the Mountain West Conference exists. His inept handling of the WAC is why the "Airport Eight" held their secret meeting.

2. The WAC is currently dying a slow and very public death because of Karl Benson's "leadership". Idaho and New Mexico State are in limbo, facing the decision of FCS membership.

He has been nothing but talk at every stop in the past, and this is nothing but more talk. He is the perfect commissioner for the Sunbelt if they don't have any aspirations of improvement. I can't see the financial situation of the SBC improving under old Karl.
    Not so much about lack of improvement but active devolvement. For once in my life I feel sorry for them.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Not so much about lack of improvement but active devolvement. For once in my life I feel sorry for them.
    I don't. They deserve each other.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

If the whole conference moves down a few levels then they can avoid contract games. I see what he is doing. However, I think those schools from the Rocky Mountain region would blow them all away.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

If this is what he wants, he needs to be negotiating with the MAC, the closest thing to a peer conference they have. I don't see the MAC going for it, though. They need the money like the SBC teams do. On the other hand, ULL was able to schedule 1-and-1's with us and North Texas got that as well. And 2-and-1's could be do-able. So they don't <i>have</i> to be contract games, though it takes the right situation for it not to be. There does remain the whole "money" thing.

I don't think this is new, though. I think I remember Waters having more-or-less the same thing to say on the subject.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    If this is what he wants, he needs to be negotiating with the MAC, the closest thing to a peer conference they have. I don't see the MAC going for it, though. They need the money like the SBC teams do. On the other hand, ULL was able to schedule 1-and-1's with us and North Texas got that as well. And 2-and-1's could be do-able. So they don't <i>have</i> to be contract games, though it takes the right situation for it not to be. There does remain the whole "money" thing.

I don't think this is new, though. I think I remember Waters having more-or-less the same thing to say on the subject.
    A few of the Sun Belt schools could schedule home-and-home deals with CUSA and even FBS teams based on geography, but not for all their non-conference games. South Alabama has done a good job at scheduling home-and-home and 2-for-1 deals. So have Middle Tennessee State and Western Kentucky. However, most of the Sun Belt schools need the money from the bodybag games.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

2 for 1 deals are bad deals unless the non-AQ gets the rare first home game like we did against Cal. We've yet to play the second game at Cal. If we bought that game out, it was never mentioned.

home and home deals against BCS teams are rarely good deals. Let's see how our deal with A&M ends up working out.

One money game per year is mandatory. Two money games per year are the norm. Three money games per year means your AD lacks the ability to schedule or balance the budget.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post

home and home deals against BCS teams are rarely good deals. Let's see how our deal with A&M ends up working out.
    Home and home deals with AQ teams are always a great deal.

All one-for-ones are good.

Benson's on the right track with this, but unfortunately for the SB, the money is just too good to pass up.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Home and home deals with AQ teams are always a great deal.

The game at the non-AQ's house needs to be a near sellout. Evidently expense money paid out to the BCS school is approximately $200K for a 4hr bus ride.

+ Reply to Thread