+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt commish wants fewer ‘contract games’

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: Sun Belt commish wants fewer ‘contract games’

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    The game at the non-AQ's house needs to be a near sellout. Evidently expense money paid out to the BCS school is approximately $200K for a 4hr bus ride.
    It's still good.

Competitively, it's good. It's the "fairest" way to do it. Heck, it's the only fair way to do it.

Financially, it's still better than any alternative than a straight up (big) money game. In order of what you're going to make on a given game it's got to go something like this, right?

1. Non-return money game.
    2. Home game with biggest name available.
    3. Home game with other non-AQ.
    4. Home game with FCS.
    5. Away game (return game).

That's still one of the best options. When you throw in the additional money you get from tv, better chance to get a flashy win, "fairness," and all the other intangible stuff it's a slam dunk.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Teams don't get "additional money" from TV. You know that.

The fact that we have passed on more than one home and home offer tells me that it can be risky. I'm not saying it's not a good deal, but I'm saying it's not an automatic good deal. I can think of several deals that probably worked out well for the non-AQ teams. Our A&M deal may or may not end up being good. I'm betting nlulm ends up losing their arse on their Baylor game, just like they did against Minnesota.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

The fact that we have passed on more than one home and home offer tells me that it can be risky. I'm not saying it's not a good deal, but I'm saying it's not an automatic good deal. I can think of several deals that probably worked out well for the non-AQ teams. Our A&M deal may or may not end up being good. I'm betting nlulm ends up losing their arse on their Baylor game, just like they did against Minnesota.
    But the teams get better money when the conferences get better tv deals and the conferences get better tv deals when they regularly have better games.

And while ULM may not make a zillion dollars from playing Baylor at home (like they would have playing @Auburn or @Oklahoma or whatever) they will make more money by host Baylor than they would have made by hosting Ball State or Lamar or Idaho.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    But the teams get better money when the conferences get better tv deals and the conferences get better tv deals when they regularly have better games.

And while ULM may not make a zillion dollars from playing Baylor at home (like they would have playing @Auburn or @Oklahoma or whatever) they will make more money by host Baylor than they would have made by hosting Ball State or Lamar or Idaho.
    You are really reaching on the TV thing. Benson has done a good job negotiating TV deals in the past, but he won't be able to do that with Sunbelt teams and ESPN.

You are assuming too much on the nlulm/Baylor game. Bad weather KILLS them. TV on a Friday night may end up hurting them to the point that they don't get a good gate. Other than possibly getting return expenses, they get NOTHING for going back to Baylor. You show me on paper how they make enough in one year to cover a two game/two year budget. One little bobble like bad weather and the whole deal stinks.

Regarding Sunbelt teams, I think Ulala, Middle, and possibly Troy can overcome the above situation. The rest of them, and especially nlulm, can't make a home and home deal work.

They've got to play somebody at home.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I remember something about a check we cashed from ESPN to host Hawaii on a weeknight in 2009. Like a $150K "convenience" fee, or something?

Did the WAC get that money? Or am I just hallucinating again?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I remember something about a check we cashed from ESPN to host Hawaii on a weeknight in 2009. Like a $150K "convenience" fee, or something?

Did the WAC get that money? Or am I just hallucinating again?
    I do remember something that was in the ESPN contract that paid a fee for weekday games. I'm not saying that is not still in the contract, but I don't remember reading about it since then. R.C or '06 probably know for sure.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I do remember something that was in the ESPN contract that paid a fee for weekday games. I'm not saying that is not still in the contract, but I don't remember reading about it since then. R.C or '06 probably know for sure.
    I'm on my iPhone now. I'll try to find it when I get to my computer later. I want to say it was a $75K inconvenience payment because most paying fans can't make weekday games. I do agree that not all home-and-homes with AQ conference schools are good deals. More later.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post

Yes ULM will net $300,000+ playing Baylor at home and go to Baylor and be paid $200,000. In that year ULM will be hurting because they play an away game without a big pay day, which will require them to schedule another big school away game to balance their budget.

We will be in the same boat when we play A&M at College Station.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

I can see why the SBC doesn't want contract games. They just lost one vs a FCS school.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    I can see why the SBC doesn't want contract games. They just lost one vs a FCS school.
    They need to play more money games, and not risk losing to schools like McNeese.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    They need to play more money games, and not risk losing to schools like McNeese.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I'm sure glad MTSU isn't in the new CUSA. They embarrassed the Sunbelt last night by losing to McNeese 27-21.

HD

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

The "Airport Five" formed the MWC...presidents of Utah, BYU, CSU, Wyoming and Air Force met at the Denver airport.

SDSU, UNLV, and New Mexico came along for the ride later.

I realized this morning that USM is playing Nebraska today. This is the return game of a home and home isn't it? I remember USM doing pretty well when Nebraska came to USM. I also remember Nebraska BEGGING and PLEADING for USM to move that game to a neutral site. I bet the USM folks can chime in on the discussion and if it was worth not picking up a check this year.

+ Reply to Thread